SAP HANA Review

Stable, scalable, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We are a supply chain organization and we deploy and supply chain solutions for our customers.

We have a host of solutions and for each of our customers based on their environments. We customize their platform and deploy it.

SAP HANA is one of our database endpoints.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use, and the Hana Studio is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The main issue that we are facing is with the connectors. The JDBC connectors are very slow. We have been trying to connect with our SAP HANA database to our customers.

It's a simple Java driver and there is no proper documentation available anywhere with clear steps. We have to rely on several documents which creates confusion.

The initial setup could be simplified.

Also, we don't have to option to pull up the data from the object structure in SAP HANA. We can only pull up certain objects. It doesn't provide you with a comprehensive list.

There are limitations in connection with SAP HANA. There has to be a better or easier way to connect the databases with other platforms, maybe using Java code or other types of code. It would be very good to have the documentation on how to connect.

I would like to have flexible connecting mechanisms for connection with Java or different types of solutions to SAP HANA on cloud or non-cloud solutions.

They could come up with something similar to the SAP HANA Studio type of modeling.

I would also like to see the capabilities to extend the API. If they had specific APIs, it would be easy for us to connect.

My company has been using SAP HANA for ten years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution. Because it's an on-premise infrastructure and SAP this is the best support for most of our customers, scalability is taken care of.

We are an SAP house. We have more than 1,000 people who use this solution.

I have not interacted with the technical support. Other teams may have, but my involvement is more with the integration.

The initial setup was a bit complex. We were told to download it from the marketplace, but when we tried, it didn't work. We may have been doing something wrong, but we did not have a clear understanding of how it should be done. We also had difficulties with the trial version, it was not working.

There are two options:

1. Download SAP HANA then import it
  2. Go to the marketplace and download the connector

For testing purposes, if they could provide us with clear documentation, it would be very helpful.

Licensing is on a yearly basis.

We are using the paid version. We pay $200 on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I am not an expert in HANA. I build the enterprise bus that integrates with SAP HANA as well as other systems. We have built our own integrated platforms.

The recommendation of this solution would depend on the use case and the requirements, and the price will be considered.

I would rate SAP HANA an eight out of ten.

More SAP HANA reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Oracle Database
Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.