SAP HANA Overview

SAP HANA is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Virtualization tools. It is most often compared to SQL Server: SAP HANA vs SQL Server

What is SAP HANA?

The SAP HANA® platform helps you reimagine business by combining a robust database with services for creating innovative applications. It enables real-time business by converging trans-actions and analytics on one in-memory platform. Running on premise or in the cloud, SAP HANA untangles IT complexity, bringing huge savings in data management and empowering decision makers everywhere with new insight and predictive power.

SAP HANA is also known as SAP High-Performance Analytic Appliance, HANA.

SAP HANA Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP HANA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

SAP HANA Customers

Unilever, NHS 24, adidas Group, CHIO Aachen, Hamburg Port Authority (HPA), Bangkok Airways Public Company Limited

SAP HANA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP HANA pricing:
  • "Setup and licensing require planning and proper budgeting, as it is not cheap."

SAP HANA Reviews

reviewer1386300
Database Consultant at a pharma/biotech company
Dec 27, 2020
Very robust solution with good data access

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using the latest version. But before that, before I jumped into the version, I used the initial version of HANA, as well. This initial version of HANA was not that great, it had a lot of bugs. But the latest version is very good. It's excellent. I'm afraid that HANA is not a relational database, it's a column-level database just like Sybase IQ. Sybase is also an activity product, an SAP product. SAP bought Sybase in May 2010. So normal Sybase is RDBMS. Sybase has one more variant called Sybase IQ. That is not RDBMS, that is a column-level database. Normal Sybase is a whole-level… more »

• "SAP HANA is vertically and horizontally scalable."
  • "High availability and disaster recovery are very poor in HANA."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SAP HANA. No doubt I would definitely recommend it. But the thing is, if I adopt SAP HANA, my total cost of ownership in terms of having a functional consultant, as well as a HANA admin, would increase. I should first find a balance and analyze the data, "Do I really want to have HANA? What benefit will I have if I have HANA at my premises? And if I want to cut cost but also get the benefits of HANA, will the cloud option of HANA cater to my needs?" All those questions. That is the company analysis I should do: what do they do differently? But many companies will be driven by…
reviewer1353810
Software Engineer - Data at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 22, 2020
Needs more integration capabilities and support for other programming languages but is pretty flexible

• "Its in-memory capabilities are good, which is why many companies still use it."
  • "SAP HANA is a very proprietary tool and there's not as much support available for it as there is for an SQL Server (which is more popular)."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not really part of the decision making team or the architecture team. I do not know if my organization has a business relationship with SAP or not. I'd rate the solution five out of ten. In the case of enterprise projects, I've heard that SAP HANA is used very widely. I would say, in general, it would be good to explore other alternatives, and not just go with HANA. It would be good to explore big data alternatives that are out there. They might be a better fit. Databricks these days seems to be quite popular. It might be an interesting alternative for some organizations. Depending on the…
Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer992160
Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Sep 24, 2019
We can get more tenders because of the lower cost while providing a better product or service

What is our primary use case?

We are using on-premises, but I have also done some research in the last six months trying to go towards the cloud. We want to upgrade it because we also did the same thing with another company we are working with which is using the Sage X3 Cloud. We started with Sage Evolution, but now we are also moving to Save X3 Cloud.

• "The most value for us was in terms of using it to issue tenders online. We host our server, but it is open to the public, so clients who want to buy those tenders were able to go online, put their tender documents up, and we could evaluate them using SAP."
  • "The interface is a little bit hard to customize. You almost have to consult the SAP original developer to change it."

What other advice do I have?

The main lesson is the importance of ERP capability, stability, and speed. The other lesson is about knowledge transfer because that is how you learn. At the end of the day, I like it because it's one of the affordable ERP systems. I would rate is as eight of ten.
AllaShlafir
Development & ERP Technologies Department Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 1, 2019
Very fast, good memory, and very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for the BW system of SAP. We also use the legacy reporting, which is very good. The solution is quite fast.

• "The memory is the solution's most valuable feature. It's the main feature of HANA. Others are still the regular IT databases that are on storage and are therefore much slower than HANA. The solution is quite fast."
  • "Unlike other databases, it lacks management features that legacy databases like Oracle or SQL servers have. They need to make the solution easier to manage and offer tools that make management more effective. A lot of things you have on traditional databases you have to develop into HANA."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd advise others to wait until the software will be much more stable before implementing it. I'd rate it eight out of ten. If it was more stable and more manageable, I'd rate it higher. If people could have the ability to do things on their own within the solution, to read the software logs on their own, and get the root cause of any problem, and not just send it to the support, it would be much better.
MuktiSahu
Head IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Sep 22, 2020
Very easy to scale, very reliable, and doesn't require a lot of dependancy once configured

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a kind-of database for our workloads.

• "The solution is extremely stable. That's the most important aspect of the solution, for our organization. There is no downtime, and the performance is very good."
  • "I'd just like to see some more improvements done on the training, both on the functional training and technical training sides as a part of the complete solution."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP HANA. I'd rate the solution around nine out of ten. It's practically perfect. It's a great solution and I would recommend it. There's some configuration that needs to happen at the outset, however, after that, there isn't much dependency on the technical side, which makes it very user-friendly for companies.
Ali Mirnia
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Sep 17, 2020
Stable, with very good technical support and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SAP HANA for machine learning and deep learning.

• "We've had good experiences with technical support."
  • "The solution is very expensive for us."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with SAP. SAP HANA is not just a memory database, it's a big platform. It's a very, very safe database. It's a very safe database and the performance is very, very good for an in-memory database. For example, sometimes we use Oracle databases 18C or 19C. The data is in the memory, however, when data is running, it's very slow, due to the fact that all data is in the memory and you need to and go to write disk. Sometimes when the data is very large, we might scale up our approach, and, in the scale-up approach, sometimes it is slow in…
David Mbugua
Group General Manager-ICT at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 5, 2020
Unmatched performance, good security, and good traceability for audits

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HANA as our primary database for our enterprise business. The product is centrally hosted where all our business departments access the product through its sister product SAP ERP. The product hosts data for the deployed modules namely, Finance and Control (FICO), Materials Management (MM), Plant Maintenance (PM), Production Planning (PP), Quality Management (QM), Human Capital Management (HCM), and Sales and Distribution (SD). It also hosts the business warehouse (BW)/BI environment.

• "The performance in terms of processing time is unmatched due to the in-memory processing capability."
  • "The product is very demanding on memory requirements."
Ali Mirnia
Chief Executive Officer at Redment
Sep 17, 2020
Excellent performance, scalable, and great for large-scale projects

• "The performance is very, very good. It's one of the best aspects of the solution."
  • "There's an issue in the partition. When you record more than two million records, partitioning does not work well. In Oracle it's easy. SAP must resolve this issue in order to be more competitive with Oracle."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP. We're using the latest version of the solution. We use an on-premises version and e have a private cloud in our company. I'd recommend the solution. If you have, for example, a huge project that's kind of a unique, scalable database I recommend SAP HANA for it. It's easy to use and handles more RAM. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
See 13 more SAP HANA Reviews