SAP HANA Review

Provides us with predictive capabilities for asset maintenance, and real-time forecasts

How has it helped my organization?

Provides us with predictive capabilities for asset maintenance and real-time forecasts.

What is most valuable?

Real-time database, near zero downtime for production business.

What needs improvement?

Graphical programming without coding.

Three to five years.

System recovery in version 1.0 failed due to corrupt log files. Version 2.0 is stable now.

Should have scalibity from terabytes to petabytes/zetabytes/yotabytes for both scale-up and scale-out, multi-tenancy approach.

Excellent.

Gradual deployment from straightforward to complex, on-premise and then to cloud platform.

Set up a consortium of consulting partners and hardware vendors to define your tech. Landscape TCO (total cost of ownership) and then approach the OEM for pricing (on-premise or on cloud or a hybrid model).

Check if you can bring your own licenses for some of the existing application licenses on the new platform, to reduce TCO.

Product was the first of its kind for us. However, we later evaluated other products: Oracle Exadata, Exalytics, Teradata, Hadoop, MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

• Check out the cloud option to reduce your initial cost of deploying the dev/test system.
  • Strategize on side car approach, remember to try out the best practice model company to get look and feel for your business users.
  • Maintain non-disruptive approach while migrating via demo.
  • Try out the rapid deployment solutions (RDS) for industry-specific modules.
  • Start end-user training/simulations early on to reduce pushback.
  • Split go-live into two (technical go-live and then business go-live) to maintain stage-wise roll-out.