SAP HANA Review

Offers business intelligence but the speed and scalability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use a hybrid deployment model for this solution. Our primary use case of SAP HANA is for business intelligence.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, the speed is not as good as we thought it would be. That is why we are trying different solutions that will be built with different technologies.

Also, the cost is an issue. SAP HANA is extremely expensive, especially in the cloud. Right now that has changed because you can actually purchase modules of that size but, for example, two years ago when we had a database of 10 terabytes, then we would have to purchase the hardware on our own and then put it in the cloud foreign location of the vendor. It runs on our own software that we have purchased. It's just placed in the same location as the rest of the cloud of the vendor.

They should improve the speed and scalability

We have been using SAP HANA for three or four years.

It's stable.

If you want to scale the entire size of the database then that is difficult and has an impact on the speed. If you want to scale with new processes and new reports, that's fairly easy.

We have more than 1,000 users using this solution.

The initial setup, from what I recall, was complex. I remember we had a lot of issues to tackle when we set this up and with upgrading.

We used a partner for the implementation. We had mixed feelings about our experience with them. It wasn't bad. It wasn't exceptionally good.

What other advice do I have?

We're moving away from HANA and currently implementing a new solution which is not yet productive. Only the first part of it has become productive and I can't really say whether it's better or worse. During testing, we can see it's faster than HANA and provides the same data which is promising. I would restrain myself from providing any recommendations because that might give a false impression.

I would not recommend SAP HANA because it has some issues with the speed and scalability of the size. It's also extremely expensive. It's probably the most expensive solution of all and you could expect more from it. On the other hand, we don't have much experience with other solutions yet, so it will be very difficult to provide a real recommendation.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful