SAS Visual Analytics Review

One of the advantages of this tool is that I can analyze data without date limitations.

Valuable Features:

The way how data is shown in the tool – using predefined views (statistical methods) is very helpful for understanding data/patterns – with such help I’m able to focus only on a specific area within my data set much easier than in other tools.

Improvements to My Organization:

Handling of large volumes of data is much easier here, even with the fact that we’re using various data tools. I’m working mostly with ITIL core processes data (incident management, problem management, configuration management etc.). What this means is a lot of data on a daily basis, so one of the advantages of this tool is that I can analyze data without date limitations and I that I can do it within seconds.

Room for Improvement:

Extension to more statistical functions, rest is quite OK. We always need to have in mind is that this is not a data mining tool, but an analytics tool for data exploring and for big data handling, which main advantage is in way how output is shown. It's easy to understand, nicely shown dynamic results for quick, but data-based decisions.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for a maximum of one year. I’m experienced SAP Business Objects developer. Unfortunately, SAP BO is not capable to work with that large volumes of data in that short time as SAS VA is. Also the main purpose of SAS Visual Analytics is not reporting, but data exploring. I also have experience with other business intelligence/data mining tools, but I’m using mostly SAP Business Objects and SAS Visual Analytics on a daily basis.

Deployment Issues:

I wasn't involved in the deployment.

Stability Issues:

I've not experienced any issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

I've not experienced any issues with the scalability.

Previous Solutions:

I'm an experienced SAP Business Objects report developer, I have also experience with IBM SPSS, SQL Developer, with an overview of SAS Enterprise Miner, MS Excel, and other tools. The advantage of this tool  is its big data handling in seconds and its predefined statistical methods for better data evaluation and understanding.

Other Advice:

It’s not a full data mining tool such as SAS Enterprise Miner, but it's a very powerful analytics tool, with useful statistical options. I especially appreciate dynamic way of visualizing data, mostly used for exploring patterns in the data. And also user friendly interface – user doesn’t really need to be data scientist to use potential of this tool.

If you’re looking for advanced tool for data analysis, but you do not have enough experience for SAS Enterprise Miner, or other data mining tools, this is a good first step for you due to user friendly interface and useful options. Always keep in mind that SAS Visual Analytics is not reporting tool so it shouldn't be its substitute.

2 Comments
author avatarDirector, Data Visualization with 51-200 employees
TOP 20Real User

I think "not a reporting tool" is a little misleading. I have had multiple customers implement the tool for reporting capability alone. While many users love the advanced analytic capability - they especially like how quickly they can build beautiful and smart dashboards while providing insightful and interactive reports on web and tablets. The customers have ranged from small firms to multi-national corporations.

author avatarOwner at a tech services company
TOP 10Real User

I agree Tricia, I have found SAS Visual Analytics performs admirably against other products for both analytics and end user reporting. The speed to develop and distribute high quality reporting is, I believe, the best I have experienced.