ServiceNow DevOps Review

A stable solution that is useful for cases and incidents tracking and help desk and knowledge management

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ITIL. It is our everyday tool for ITIL.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a very capable and significant product that we utilize within the company, and it has absolutely improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

We use it for a lot of things, and it is really good for our use cases. We use it for our help desk and knowledge management, which is really good.

When it comes to modules, it has an incident module, which is really good for us in terms of tracking our cases and incidents. Its change management module is really good, and it also has customization capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Its performance is really bad. When you're on the hosted cloud, it gives you the time it takes for a transaction to happen, and it takes anything from 20 seconds to a minute, which is a really long time.

Something that is really annoying in this solution is that when you click on the Back button to go back, you don't go back to the previous screen. You go back all the way to the homepage. It is really annoying and painful. Its UI is also pretty dated.

It is very customizable, but the customization seems to be clunky. We have a separate team that owns the ServiceNow implementation. They control how it is customized. Its customizations are pretty extensive, and it takes us a while to get them done, which is painful. That could be because of our internal team, as opposed to the product itself.

When it comes to DevOps, there are better solutions such as Atlassian and Azure DevOps. ServiceNow DevOps is an ITIL product that is trying to be something else. DevOps is not its prime purpose, even though it is capable of doing that. Trying to be too many things by one platform is not a good idea. They should focus on the ITIL space and not get into all other spaces.

I have been using this solution for eight to ten years.

Its stability is really good.

I believe it is very scalable because it is in the cloud. It is a very widely used application. Our whole IT organization uses it. We have probably a hundred thousand users.

We have our own internal tech support, so it is hard to know in terms of ServiceNow. Our internal tech support is pretty good on it.

The previous solution that we were using was Remedy. We switched because Remedy was even worse. It was dated in every way possible. It didn't perform, and it wasn't functional. Its UI was hard to use, and its capabilities were very limited.

What other advice do I have?

I am in the DevOps world, so from a DevOps perspective, I know all the tools out there. Personally, when it comes to DevOps, there are better solutions such as Atlassian and Azure DevOps, and I wouldn't use this solution for DevOps.

I would rate ServiceNow DevOps an eight out of ten as an ITIL tool. It has a lot of good things about it for its prime purpose, but there is definitely room to improve. As a DevOps tool, I would rate it lower because it is currently missing a lot of capabilities from that perspective.

More ServiceNow DevOps reviews from users