Sophos XG Review

Easy to use, robust, and the default templates are helpful

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Sophos XG firewall in my last job, where it was part of our security solution.

We had multiple locations with the internet being provided from a central location. Each of our locations was connected point-to-point using MPLS lines. Using Sophos meant that we didn't need to have a router.

What is most valuable?

The default templates are helpful because if you want to create new policies, they make it easy to do anything you want.

Sophos XG is a very robust technology.

This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies.

There are unlimited SSL VPN clients and it is free with Sophos.

What needs improvement?

The cloud support needs to be improved. As it is, they only have support for Microsoft Azure. They should expand it to include providers like Amazon and Alibaba.

I have not heard complaints of bugs or glitches occurring.

Sophos is a scalable technology that is being regularly updated.

I have been in contact with technical support many times and they are very good.

Currently, in my new company, I am using Fortinet. This is a very basic firewall and ultimately, I would like to update them.

The initial setup is not complicated. For somebody with an intermediate level of knowledge, it will take between three and four hours to deploy. For a more experienced person, it may take two or three.

I am currently in the process of evaluating the different firewalls that are available in India.  One of the options is Sophos, and I am also considering others such as SonicWall and Palo Alto.

With Fortinet and SonicWall, there is a limit of 10 people who can simultaneously connect using the VPN.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I would recommend for people who are looking for good security in a medium-scale organization.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.