Sophos XG Overview
What is Sophos XG?
Sophos XG Firewall is next gen firewall that is optimized for today’s business, delivering all the protection and insights you need in a single, powerful appliance that’s easy to manage.
Sophos XG Buyer's Guide
Download the Sophos XG Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021
Sophos XG Video
What users are saying about Sophos XG pricing:
- "Sophos XG isn't expensive compared to Check Point."
- "For licensing the XG 210, we paid approximately $3000 for three years. There are no additional fees on top of this."
- "We are paying about $1,500 yearly for the Enterprise Plus. As far as I know, there aren't costs above this standard fee."
- "It's approximately $6,000 for each device."
- "We paid for our licensing for three years, upfront, and there are no costs in addition to the standard fees."
Sophos XG Reviews
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Project Manager at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Real UserTop 10
May 25, 2019
Offers a high level of visibility of what's happening on your network or on your client machines
What is our primary use case?I use Sophos XG as a content filtering, web filtering, and application filtering utility, as well as to integrate with the endpoint antivirus software. I have Sophos Endpoint Antivirus installed on the user machines as well, i.e. the Central Cloud Management version. That's our main use. Sophos XG has cybersecurity. It integrates with the antivirus software.
Pros and Cons
- "Sophos XG has cybersecurity. It integrates with the antivirus software."
- "The only issue that Sophos XG now needs to improve is the product's reporting capability."
What other advice do I have?I recommend that everyone should have a proper understanding of new network requirements and then enjoy it. Sophos XG is definitely a good product. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Sophos XG an eight.
Senior Consultant at ARENTIA S.A.
Dec 20, 2020
A powerful and cost-effective web application firewall solution
What is our primary use case?We essentially use Sophos XG to protect our customers. Most of our customers use remote VPN connections. They also use the WAF protection for exposed internet WEB servers.
Pros and Cons
- "The web application firewall reverse proxy is very good."
- "Sophos can improve the debugging of the WAPS function."
What other advice do I have?I think it's very important to choose the right appliance first. Implementing a lot of things like VPN, IPS strong protection and WAF functions will stress more the appliance CPU. It depend also with the number of connections and number of users too. Sophos XG is a lot of fun because you can change the appliance model without changing the configuration. You can back-up the configuration of the old appliance and import into the new appliance without spending hour for migration. It's powerful, and the new system is quickly operational. Another key is VPN LAN to LAN in SSL, allowing connections…
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Consultant at Crotus
Apr 18, 2019
Email security features are good, but the technical support needs improvement
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case for this solution is to act as the main broadband device in our data center. The XG 210 model is being used for a hospitality solution.
Pros and Cons
- "We have found that the simplicity of the XG 210 is its most valuable feature."
- "When I call, I have to wait at least one to two hours to reach them."
What other advice do I have?Because of the problems that we are having, I cannot recommend this solution to anyone at this time. I would rate this solution five out of ten.
Chief Technology Officer at Leystel Nigeria Limited
An easy to manage solution that streamlines processes and management
What is our primary use case?We use the solution as an internet firewall, and a VPN concentrator.
Pros and Cons
- "The SL VPNs are the most valuable feature. I have a lot of systems out of the head office that need to connect to the local networks, and they all connect wirelessly via the Sophos VPN client."
- "The initial set up process can be a little tricky, especially when you are registering with Sophos using your registration number. Setup is not necessarily complex, but it's not trouble-free. You do have connectivity issues at the initial setup with registering the device on the Sophos platform to access the advanced features. It doesn't always go through the first time around. That may be an issue with the quality of our automation. I'm not sure exactly what it is."
What other advice do I have?We use the on-premises deployment model. We definitely plan to increase the usage and also add high variability too. Right now, it is the main internet gateway and firewall for my network. We're using both Sophos XG and Sophos UTM. I would warn those considering implementation that, once you've got it, you're stuck with it. You can't really increase the capacity very much beyond what you have. It's always good to have the expertise available to take care of the box because even though it's a lot easier than the Cisco ASA, you still need someone that has a little expertise in managing it. You…
Chairman at BASL
Aug 28, 2019
Excellent integration with the Sophos firewall and has a user-friendly interface
What is our primary use case?I use the solution as my endpoint firewall and at the same time, I use it for load balancing and spillover.
Pros and Cons
- "I like the fact that it can self remove malware and do updates on the cloud via Sophos Central."
- "On reports, they sometimes give a summary, but it lists different users as unknown. There are times that I really want to know which user or which IP is causing a problem."
What other advice do I have?Once you have basic networking skills and firewall management it's easy to set up. With Sophos Central, I think it's a good solution for any IT department. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. As it is now, the solution is good, but I believe that there's still room for more improvement. I still believe the reporting could be improved. Sophos, from my experience, seems to affect my bandwidth. I didn't set any limit, so I don't know where that is coming from, but it's something that we've noticed with the XG.
Chef IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Real UserTop 20
Nov 10, 2020
Stable, with an intuitive and user-friendly dashboard
What is our primary use case?This solution does everything and anything a firewall can do.
Pros and Cons
- "This solution does everything and anything a firewall can do."
- "There is an area that is very specific to our setup, where working tools you cannot easily establish a VPN between two internal networks."
What other advice do I have?I would recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
A great UI with very intuitive features; comprehensive documentation ensuring issues are easily resolved
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case of this solution is for protection and to have better governance for our LAN usage. I've got a lot of people working from outside on the corporate infra and all policy based decisions happen there. The solution is basically a firewall that protects us from various internet threats, but other than that provides controlled and properly managed access using various rules of VPN and other fingerprints of people logging in. I'm the CTO of the company and we are customers of Sophos.
Pros and Cons
- "Great interface and in-built help is very intuitive."
- "Lacking network access control, user profiling and analytics dashboards."
What other advice do I have?I would definitely recommend this solution but it's only suitable if it fits the needs of the company so I would suggest carrying out some research. Why does the company need a firewall? What rules do they want to deploy on the firewall? Based on the answers to those questions the company can make a call. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Chief Operational Officer at Merchant Light LLC
Jun 26, 2020
Easy to set up, keeps extensive logs, and scans all traffic for malware
What is our primary use case?We are going to be hosting our own website and we are using the Sophos XG because we want to make sure that it is well protected. We also want to make sure that the rest of our LAN is not compromised. In addition to using this firewall ourselves, we resell the product to our customers. We have a well-trained team that can perform the implementation and deployment.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is that it scans all of the data for any kind of malware."
- "It would be helpful if they had a set of standard templates because it would assist in the beginning, when you are just getting started."
What other advice do I have?I am happy with this solution, which is one of the reasons that we are selling it. I don't like to sell or recommend things that I have not used. I have tried a lot of the features but I would say that there is a lot more potential I haven't even tested at this point. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
See 36 more Sophos XG Reviews
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- Comparison between Sophos XG and pfSense as firewalls
- WatchGuard Firebox T55 vs Sophos XG 135 FullGuard Plus with Enhanced Support
- Best Firewall for 300 user organisation: Sonicwall NSA 3650 vs. Sophos XG 310
- Which is the best network firewall for a small retailer?
- When evaluating Firewalls, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- If you could go back, would you change your decision to buy that firewall and why?
- What is the best way to prevent DoppelPaymer Ransomware?
- Can you recommend a solution to replace Cyberoam 200ing Firewall?
- Best firewall models for 750 to 1000 users
- Which lesser known firewall product has the best chance at unseating the market leaders?