Sophos XG Review

The great interface and security are key features

What is our primary use case?

I'm the CTO of our company and we are customers of Sophos.

What is most valuable?

I've found that the valuable features are the interface and the security, both are really great.

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution could be improved by making it more intuitive and it should have a background reputation service for classification of websites for content filtering. It's a service which defines the type of websites enabling me to do my content filtering in a much more effective and efficient way.

They really need to include some kind of a client app for mobiles so that firewalls and all the metrics can be accessed directly on the phone; some kind of administrative application on the phone, maybe on an iOS or Android.

I've been using this solution for over four years.

This is a stable solution, it's a nice robust firewall. We love using it.

The solution is scalable, we have around 700 end users and 10 technical people on staff.

We are satisfied with the technical support but having said that, we didn't need much support because the menus and all the online documentation is self-explanatory. There was no failure so we didn't have to actually log a call with Sophos.

We didn't previously use another solution before implementing Sophos. We chose it by specification and the reputation it has in the market.

The initial setup was a little complex because of the kind of configuration that we were looking at, the way the firewall had to be configured was slightly complex. We carried out the implementation ourselves and it took a maximum two days.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but would suggest that before buying any firewall, it's important to assess your expectations and then match it with the specification. You will not be disappointed if you do this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.