Sophos XG Review

Quick to install and configure with proactive support, but updates often cause problems

What is our primary use case?

This product serves as our current firewall solution, which is a network protection gateway.

What is most valuable?

This is a very simple solution.

It integrates well with Sophos Endpoint Protection, and we use the two of them to form a holistic security perimeter control.

What needs improvement?

Software updates always come with issues. For example, I just upgraded to the next version, 80.5, and it came with VPN issues. It started dropping my VPN users. So, I had to roll back to before the software update. I think that the main area for improvement is the quality assurance of the updates.

The management console is a little bit rigid.

Scalability can be improved.

I think that it performs a little bit slow when it comes to connectivity, and having the speed increased would be better.

We have been using Sophos XG for the past four years.

This is a very stable platform. In the four years that we have had it, it's never gone down.

It is not a very scalable product. I would rate the scalability a seven out of ten because where you order it, it comes with prefixed ports. You will only have perhaps two for the WAN, and then maybe four LAN ports, and one console. In this regard, it's not scalable.

When you buy it, you can't change the port configuration. In order to get more ports, you may have to upgrade to a bigger firewall.

We have about 130 accounts for approximately 80 employees.

Technical support for Sophos is very good and they have a big presence in South Africa. It uses something called Sophos Central, where support can fix the problem before you, as the user, actually finds it.

It is a very simple and very quick initial setup and configuration. Because it is a next-generation firewall, it does most of the rule development in the background. You just need to set up the basics and start it up.

For what you are buying, it's good value for the money.

Sophos is very good when it comes to pricing. A firewall has a lot of things to look for when you're buying it, including throughput and its features. When we purchased this product, Sophos was the best on the market.

In addition to Sophos, we looked at FortiGate, SonicWall, and Cisco. We were looking for a next-generation firewall, and Cisco was out of range because it was too expensive. We settled on Sophos because we already had the endpoint solution in our environment, and the price was very good as well.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I recommend because it's a very simple firewall. It's not complicated, and a LAN expert can just start using it and learn very quickly. Definitely, its usability is very good, and it's a very robust firewall.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
463,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.