Sophos XG Review

Dual antivirus sets solution apart from other vendors

What is our primary use case?

We do not have a primary use case for this solution. We are using Sophos XG to configure wireless networks. Some of our clients have Sophos XG integrations and we are using the MAC filtering on it.

We also use the Sophos XG antivirus, content filtering, and as a secure email gateway.

We have a bundled license with an email security subscription. We also use the free Sophos XG VPN.

What sets Sophos XG apart from other vendors is the solution's dual antivirus. We enabled the Security Heartbeat feature, which synchs endpoints with the network layer antivirus; they work as a single unit. If there is a virus attack from outside world, the firewall handles it. If a virus comes when the network layer is idle, the endpoint protection takes care of it, which is why we are using this solution in our office scenario.

What is most valuable?

The solution is not vulnerable and that is the most important aspect of it for me. We deployed the Sophos XG firewall on the Edge browser and everything that comes in from the outside world as a potential threat is handled by the firewall.

I'm satisfied with the user interface and the solution's security level. They have a sandboxing solution for zero-day threats and a real-time cloud solution with millions of tags. I think the number at this point is four million tags. This is a good features in Sophos XG; it provides more security against new attacks, which are generated every day.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any drawbacks to this solution at the moment. I know of other products that have more features and are more advanced stages, but ultimately, an organization's choice of software depends on its budget. If you have a small amount of money and you want to secure your network, Sophos XG can provide you with network security. Sophos ZG is a mid-range solution. There are solutions that are above it in terms of features on the market, but they cost more money.

They could work on their technical support to make it more productive for the end customer. Some of my friends and colleagues have had unfavorable experiences with the tech support taking too long to close their ticket. However, I opened two cases this week and both have been resolved.

I have been using Sophos XG for five years.

My impressions of the solution's scalability is that it varies depending on the model or capability of the box. When we have clients that want to deploy a small box on 200 or 150 users, we suggest that they get a box that's better able to cater to problems and their traffic. If a customer has 35 or 50 users, we will propose just a small box.

We are facing some technical issues with Sophos XG right now. We have already escalated this issue with the Sophos technical support. They seem to be working on it.

We are satisfied with the technical support. They reply quickly to our queries, but sometimes take time upgrading their systems.

The initial setup was not complex. I was new to the solution when I deployed it and I didn't face any problems; it wasn't a hassle or challenging for me.

I did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is a mature product. It has a good Gartner rating. It is best for the enterprise level, for the SMBs. Anyone can deploy according to the needs of their customers.

Sophos CG is cost-effective, which makes it really suitable for SMB. If you want basic security and more embedded features, go with Sophos XG.

Version 19
More Sophos XG reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.