Sophos XG Review

An excellent firewall solution with reasonable licensing rates and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution internally in our company and we also deploy it for our customers.

What is most valuable?

We have many Sophos solutions that we use together. We use Sophos UPM and Sophos XG. Next, there are just firewalls. The Sophos UPM is the basic firewall; Sophos XG is a mix of Cyberoam and Surface (Sophos acquired Cyberoam three years ago). We use all the features within these solutions and we have a full set of licenses. They offer IPS, IBS, BPM, web publishing, web protection, etc. We're using everything.

What needs improvement?

They should expand their DDoS feature. It's basic. They need to enhance it.

Technical support needs to be improved.

The solution needs a mobile application for the administrator. Today, as an administrator, you cannot manage the solution from your tablet or from your mobile. You can only go through a web console. Other vendors have mobile apps. Some vendors also have the ability to manage and check the chart report and change some settings from a mobile application. This would be an excellent add-on for administrators who are traveling. It could help a lot.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

For the past seven years, we haven't had any issues with the hardware or software. It's stable. If a customer misconfigured it, they might face issues. Out of the box, however, it's stable; it is an appliance that customers can depend on.

The solution is scalable. Sophos has plans for customers who want to upgrade or add another appliance in the same environment. As a customer, I've deployed to as many as 300 users or as few as 30.

Technical support isn't as good as it needs to be. In most cases, these days, the partner has to work hard to support the customer. The response time and the experience of the support team are not as expected. As a partner, we've never opened a case. Our customers, however, have told us they have had issues.

The solution is straightforward. Deployment took about 30 minutes.

Price-wise the solution offers acceptable rates. You can find cheaper solutions on the market, but when you go cheaper you have fewer features. Today, based on iQuate market the price is very reasonable and affordable, and it's good if you get a good discount. Discounts can be offered by the vendor. If it's a competitive upgrade which means the customer is upgrading from another vendor, Sophos provides extra discounts so they can win the deal. In general, it is a good price.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Sophos partner. We both use the solution and recommend it to clients.

Compared to other competitors, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. However, for very large enterprises, the largest firewall appliance from Sophos might not be enough for thousands of users. If I was rating the solution for enterprises, I would rate it eight out of ten because of this.

I would recommend the solution, however. We often recommend the solution to our clients and it works very well for them.