• SQL Server provide end users and database programmers with a broad spectrum of services such as Analysis and Reporting services, Data Engine, Integration Services thus making database development and management easier and reliable.
• SQL Server offers a platform on which data in all levels- structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data can be managed, integrated and analyzed thus enabling an organization to realize its mission-critical information.
• Latest versions of SQL Server provide a handy development studio that not only make the creation of database objects easy but also offer useful tools such Object Explorer to allow quick processes.
Room for Improvement:
• SQL Server work best with Windows Operating System and it is not compatible with some other systems hence limiting its platform friendliness.
• Advance versions with higher functionality such as Work Group Edition have high installation requirement such as multi-processor computers, larger primary memory and are not open source.
• Database developers who want to have a clear logical and physical understanding of database systems will no doubt benefit much from using SQL Server. I personally marvel at the extensible support provided by the management studio especially on disk and file management as I enjoy using SQL Server 2008. SQL Server is friendly to both beginners and experts and its installation process can be customized to suite different features.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
May 10 2013