SQL Server Review

Good for publishing web applications, but security, stability and performance can be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for nearly all of the services we provide that utilize Windows Server. We use it to provide continuous service and in respects of our mail server.

What is most valuable?

We have found the feature that allows us to publish web applications to be valuable.

We have 20 servers and we use disparate ones for different applications, such as Kaspersky Anti-Virus Server and Windows SharePoint in respects of the surveillance system.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more secure and stable and have better performance, particularly as concerns the endpoint operating systems. I would like to have a better operating system that links the CPU and the RAM efficiently.

For the majority of our servers we have not used other operating systems, although there are certain features or requirements that necessitated their use, such as Red Hat. This was rare. Mostly, we used Windows OS.

As for the performance issue, we have recently encountered situations in which everything would fail in spite of the CPU and memory being 100 percent operable.

We have been using SQL Server for 12 or 13 years.

As we have faced problems with the solution in both the past and present, I feel it could be more stable.

The solution seems scalable to me.

We have not had experience with technical support and have handled this independently whenever we encountered problems.

When it comes to the installation of the operating system, we have found it to be easy and user-friendly.

Our greatest praise for the solution we reserve for its ease of installation and usage. These provide definite advantages. Perhaps this can be attributed to the fact that we have always made use of the solution for nearly every relevant company in South Africa.

While I cannot recall exactly how long the installation lasted, I did recently install endpoint Windows 10 Operating System and this took an hour and a half.

We were able to handle the installation on our own, as we are well versed in this process when it comes to Windows OS.

On an individual basis, we solely make use of Windows OS. There are between 300 and 400 people in our organization who do so.

Generally speaking, we do not make use of a technical team for deployment and maintenance purposes and do so internally. There are a maximum of seven or eight people in our organization who are responsible for this. We are talking about technical people who are responsible for the direct installation and configuration of Windows OS and they do not include managers.

I believe the licensing to be on an annual basis. In 2019 we purchased a three year license.

We did not evaluate other other options before going with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SQL Server as a seven out of ten.

We have procured the 2019 version, which is the latest.
More SQL Server reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Database
Learn what your peers think about SQL Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.