Symantec Advanced Threat Protection Review

It's very helpful from a centralized administration point of view

What is our primary use case?

Endpoint production is to protect our laptops. So, we use it to secure our corporate laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

It has certainly helped out our audit efforts because we each stay compliant in terms of various security standards. So, it's pretty good detecting.

It's very helpful from a centralized administration point of view, e.g., doing policy updates.

What is most valuable?

It works all the time. We do test against it by doing penetration testing and other things. It triggers and block these attacks. We think it holds up, but there's always zero-days.

What needs improvement?

What we want to do is be able to customize some of this on the administrative side. Right now, it is pretty much turnkey. Therefore, it would be nice if we have more customization. We would also like alerting, not to just to the end users, but to the administrators, when something happens.

An improvement could be made on the reporting because then it would be easier to collect information and submit it for compliance.

It has been around for awhile. It has had several revisions which we have through, and it's stable.

It scales fine because it runs on individual laptops.

I have never tried to contact the technical support.

We do security scans. We started to detect with security scans that there is no blocking, or we can actually compromise a laptop, we do internal testing and determine if it's time to move to another product.

We previously had a cloud-based solution by Symantec, but switched to this internally managed, centralized solution when we were acquired. The products are similar just meant for different types of organizations: large enterprises (this solution) vs SMBs (cloud-based solution).

The initial setup was pretty straightforward because the team that came in and helped us deploy it had already done so in various other business units within our parent company. They had done this setup many times.

We had an internal deployment team which handled it. Therefore, we do not have to use an integrator at all. However, our parent company is pretty big and they have a large IT team who handles deployment.

It decreases our downtime for laptops by protecting them.

Pricing is covered by our global procurement team. It is the solution that they chose.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid solution.

Do your testing. Get a trail edition. Try to attack it with malware in your lab. See how it will stand up in a bake-off.

The key thing is to keep up with all the industry changes. There are more services running on the cloud and figuring out how to do that.