Talend Data Management Platform Review

Simple to use interface and good community support using the portal

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Talend Data Management Platform to ship data from the source to the website, and I was using the Talend administration console to monitor the different data flex and developing new data flex.

The new data flex was deployed to our servers. We are also using the same Talend administration for tasks, monitoring the tasks, and for developing the tasks.

We have four to five servers running on Talend.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the simplicity of the interface, and the ability to quickly develop with a predefined component.

Having the ability to mix both my own code created in Java with the predefined components is helpful.

It is easy to face issues and meet any of the client's needs.

What needs improvement?

We were using TAC for the testing environments and another TAC for the production environment. We had to promote our code manually from one environment to another.

I would like to see them add a feature in TAC that exists in TMC where you have the ability with different environments to promote code easily from one to the other.

They lack in memory capacity. We had to add a new job server to deal with the new system we had.

I would like to see components added with routing and web services. We have many subsystems that are not being used with Talend to make them communicate. It would be better to have unified systems within Talend to be able to do so. Having it directly in Talend Data Management would be nice, or an ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) or some web service applications. Also to have a unified TAC, actually just having one environment or one Infospace for the entire environment.

This solution is scalable. When we had to add new data flex we were just parallelizing, having different jobs running in Talend on five different job servers.

I haven't had the need to contact technical support. When I have had issues, the Talend portal is there and there is a Talend Help Centre where you have discussions and blogs. I was able to find answers there.

Previously, we were using TAC (Talend Administrative Console).

License renewal is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I have never spoken with Talend technical support directly over the phone or by mail, I was able to find my answers on the web. Overall, I am satisfied with Talend and I recommend it.

I would rate Talend an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Talend Data Management Platform reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)