Tektronix Oscilloscopes Review

Sensitivity of the trigger and reliability are key for us in troubleshooting the HF arena

What is our primary use case?

We use it for detailed troubleshooting, mainly in the time domain. It has very slow ports. We use the measuring functions of the scope, tracking peak-to-peak, average, and min-max. For us the application space it's targeting is mainly the HF arena. We do get into 2.4 gig on a regular basis, but not usually much higher. We predominantly measure analog signals and signals that are power-supply related. With the switching of power supplies the way it happens now, the more information the better.

What is most valuable?

The sensitivity of the trigger and the reliability are the most valuable features. I see a lot of phase shift take place on a trigger but Tektronix always has the best.

What needs improvement?

It needs one button and every time you push it, you get whatever you need. Label it W.I.M.(what I mean) and advertise it as a wimp interface. Naturally the GPIB has only one command and does whatever you mean it to do.

More than five years.

Technical support is very good at Tektronix. We get to the right person most of the time.

What other advice do I have?

I was at KU for 18 years, where I was director of the electronics labs there. Yes, every semester there was a new learning curve but they did catch on fairly quickly. The scopes were extremely reliable.