Tektronix Oscilloscopes Overview

Tektronix Oscilloscopes is the #1 ranked solution of our top Oscilloscope vendors. It is rated 4.2 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to Keysight Oscilloscopes: Tektronix Oscilloscopes vs Keysight Oscilloscopes

What is Tektronix Oscilloscopes?

8 out of 10 engineers around the world trust Tektronix to help them debug and test tomorrow's designs faster. With the broadest portfolio of digital oscilloscopes available, the richest set of product features, the most extensive analysis capability and our award-winning service and support, Tektronix has the right oscilloscope to meet your needs.

Tektronix Oscilloscopes is also known as TBS Series, TDS Series, MDO Series, MSO Series.

Tektronix Oscilloscopes Buyer's Guide

Download the Tektronix Oscilloscopes Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2020

Tektronix Oscilloscopes Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tektronix Oscilloscopes pricing:
  • "They have academic pricing which is helpful."
  • "In the 100 gigabit Ethernet and 400 gigabit Ethernet category, everything is in the multi-hundred thousand dollar range, so it was fair pricing because everything is expensive."
  • "Isolated probes are good to have, as most of the scopes don't have it. It drives up the cost when you have to buy isolated probes."
  • "Tektronix Oscilloscopes are really expensive for small businesses. The low-end scopes don't really compare performance-wise to what the other companies provide, like RIGOL . Mostly that just has to do with the software options."
  • "It's available on the low-end scopes for free, but on the higher-end scopes, it is expensive. Therefore, it's a bit more difficult to make stuff work."
  • "The prices are compatible with what they offer. Going forward, I would like them to become more competitive and dominant with their pricing in the market."
  • "They're all pretty expensive. If everything costs that much, I suppose the pricing is fair."
  • "It could always be cheaper."
  • "It's cost-effective... It might cost a lot of money, but if we need it we buy it."

Tektronix Oscilloscopes Reviews

Curtis Jones
Teacher (emeritus) at San Jose State University
Feb 26, 2019
High sampling rate enables it to clearly render the envelope

What is our primary use case?

I'm using it for teaching students, familiarizing them with the oscilloscope. I want them to spend some time looking at waveforms. The main signals that we measure are pretty simple sine waves. The interesting waveforms are the succession of waveforms in a simple power supply, where you have the rectified AC and then the filtered AC, so you have to measure the DC and then you have to know how to use AC coupling to show the ripple clearly. We don't utilize the full bandwidth. We get up to a couple of megahertz.

• "When I was looking for a scope for that lab, that five subdivisions per division was important."
  • "I wish we could turn off the automatic measurement feature of the oscilloscope, for teaching purposes."

What other advice do I have?

I have been using Tektronix scopes since about 1962. I would recommend the product to a colleague. The user interface is fine. It has knobs. There was a phase where the oscilloscope designers - and this may have been Hewlett Packard, Agilent, Keysight - tended to have one big knob and then you had to push various buttons and you had to have the buttons pushed the right way for the knob to do whatever you wanted it to do. These scopes are a reversion to the old scopes where you have an individual knob or button for each function, and that has helped. In terms of being upgradable, there are…
Ron Olisar
SI Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 26, 2019
Because it does a smart software trigger in the PAM-4 GUI, it's very easy to hook up

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using the 200 gigasample per second real-time scope and have a 70000 Series. The primary use case is optical product development for 56 gig PAM-4 with the ability to acquire and display at those rates. We need the 70 gigahertz bandwidth and 200 gigasample per second.

• "The most valuable features are its ease of use, user interface, and PAM-4. The user interface is good and easy to use."
  • "On the source side, their AWGs don't have enough bandwidth. They need to increase the bandwidth of their AWGs, meaning they have to have a faster sample rate."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very capable instrument. It really does the job. It's in a fairly compact form factor at a reasonable power level. There's some other products right now that are huge and take an enormous amount of power, so I would still say it's a key player in the market. The learning curve was pretty quick. We needed some hand-holding on a few items, but it went pretty fast. We're measuring electrical signals to ICs that are in the optical modular space and out of the ICs from the ICs in the same space. The application space that we are using the solution to target is 100 gigabit Ethernet and 400…
Learn what your peers think about Tektronix Oscilloscopes. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2020.
448,290 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Designer273e
Designer/Consultant at a transportation company
Feb 24, 2019
It has the ability to monitor data from a CAN bus

What is our primary use case?

I develop electric vehicle systems. I use the serial protocol analysis tools, as well as using it with some high voltage differential probes for measuring motor voltage and battery current. We are measuring CAN bus RS232, as well as some power signals for voltage and current.

• "Being able to monitor data from a CAN bus while the vehicle is running will cut down a lot of the feedback for the design mode."
  • "We would like more features for the CAN bus decoding, such as importing DDC files, which allows us to take the raw data and convert it into engineering units."

What other advice do I have?

It is really solid hardware. The only room for improvement is the software. Make sure that you understand what you are going to use these oscilloscopes for and don't spend money on features which you don't need. Some of competitors' user interfaces are more intuitive. The Tektronix Oscilloscopes user interface is a lot of method menu. The newer Tektronix user interfaces are easier, because they have touch screens. The application space that the solution targets is embedded systems for electric vehicle development. For example, I'm working on an electric bicycle dashboard right now. There will…
Founder2a26
Founder at a tech company
Feb 3, 2019
I can take my lab to customers by accessing their domain and showing them signals

What is our primary use case?

I do everything with this product. I categorize and test. It can be online on the cloud in the lab, allowing us to see what the data conditions are. It has an automatic extracting level. I use most of the high end digital scopes that I like, because they have a lot of features for software user interfaces, captures, or shared transit control. The user friendliness of these boxes is very useful.

• "It has digital scopes with a high bandwidth and digitized signal. It can do whatever you want with the signal. Since its user-friendly software allows you to work with the signal, which is pretty cool."
  • "I am not utilizing the full bandwidth of this product."

What other advice do I have?

They are closer to 4G in the applications space.
Electric7fa9
Electrical Design Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Feb 19, 2019
The O-scopes help us figure out what's going wrong with our scope out signals

What is our primary use case?

We use them for testing and measurement. We do pretty standard stuff. We come up with a circuit and we expect it to do something. We simulate it, and then we test it out in the lab. We prototype it and then use the O-scope to verify our results, and if something's going wrong we try to track down what it is. The application space we use it for is embedded systems. We do contract engineering and we pick up projects from different groups. We make an end solution for them. It's business-to-business, it's not really like end-consumer stuff. They come up with all sorts of things, like printers or… more »

• "The most valuable features are everything they do. We primarily use the O-scopes and they help us figure out what's going wrong with our scope out signals."
  • "There is room for improvement when it comes to the screen size. I don't really have a lot of complaints but screen size would be the biggest thing."

What other advice do I have?

It works really well for general lab stuff, general testing, prototype and measurement. I have been using Tektronix products since I started. I might have used them in college, too, so it's been about seven-and-a-half years. We're using a couple of the O-scopes, the MSO3000 and the MSO4000. We also have some arbitrary function generators and some power supplies. There is definitely a learning curve. It was so long ago that I don't really know how long it takes to get acclimated to the equipment. We actually just started an IoT project, so I'm now using it for that. I would rate the products at…
Electric4b10
Electrical Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 21, 2019
Mixed Domain scope provides spectrum analyzer and regular scope together

What is our primary use case?

We're using the MDO3000 or MDO4000 series. They're very similar. We use them for making measurements or working on testing electrical signals. We use them for general purpose. I'm working on computer motherboards. It's a different type of signal. The good thing is that it's very general-purpose. In most cases, the frequencies are up to six gig for the spectrum analyzer. For example, I measure I2C5 and USB. It cannot go into superspeed. But for superspeed I can look at the frequency. That's useful at times. At times I'm almost using the full bandwidth of the product. For example, if I want to… more »

• "I haven't seen anything similar where it has a spectrum analyzer and regular scope together."
  • "The power of the computer inside is weak. Sometimes I send a lot of data and I'll feel the lag... I would like to see them improve the processing power."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this scope to colleagues. There was a little bit of a learning curve regarding the menu, but I eventually figured out how to get multiple windows or single windows and how to turn on a given domain. Overall, it's really quick. The front panel, the operational panel, is very straightforward. It has the scope plus a regular spectrum analyzer, with keys for the numbers. I rate the product at ten out of ten. If someone needs a general-purpose scope, it's a good one.
Hardware439f
Hardware Design Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Feb 24, 2019
Software packages make it easy to do some really complex measurements

What is our primary use case?

We use a range of Tektronix scopes. We have a 33-gig, real-time scope, as well as some lower-end models that we use for general digital debugging. In addition, we do ISP/IO characterization and general analysis. We do high-speed serial designs that are embedded. We mainly focus on fiber-optic telecom gear. We measure the full gamut of signals, whether it's low-speed control IO, like Is4c, all the way up to 28G certes designs. It's a full range of signals, and as far as the applications it's enabling, that's really our entire design. We are utilizing the whole bandwidth.

• "The most valuable feature is the automation component in setting up some of these measurements."

What other advice do I have?

Research well what you need because, with the capabilities of the instruments, you definitely pay up for getting a very high-end piece of gear, and that might not necessarily be exactly what you need, even though the sales guys tell you that it is. It doesn't take too long to get acclimated to the product. Whenever we do have a problem, the local rep seems to be able to help us with it. It's important too, to make sure you're doing things right, and not necessarily do them on your own, thinking you're doing things right. The user interface is usable. It's nothing fancy. I believe our solution…
    Chad Lee
    Hardware Engineer at Northrop
    Feb 21, 2019
    Good user interface helps us with circuit debugging and signal analysis

What is our primary use case?

We're mostly using high-speed network analyzer models, but then we have some low-speed signal integrity work that we do as well. We use the product for circuit debugging and signal analysis. For us, the product targets high-speed serial applications. It's fantastic. We use it to support IoT development as well. I'm not personally utilizing the full bandwidth of the product but there are other people who are using it to the full bandwidth. It's working well for the stuff that's meant for high-speed.

• "It has a good user interface. It's easy to use, easy to read. It's intuitive."
    • "If they could make the user interface even more intuitive that would help. If they could make it easier to read, to know where the buttons are, that's all I need."

What other advice do I have?

There isn't so much of a learning curve. They'll come in and give you training for whatever kind of toy you want to use. The learning curve is fine. The solution is field-upgradable. We have upgraded several modules as we have needed to. We'll buy the baseline and if something comes up, we'll upgrade.
    See 15 more Tektronix Oscilloscopes Reviews
    Product Categories
    Oscilloscopes
    Download our free Tektronix Oscilloscopes Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.