Tintri VMstore Review

What is most valuable?

Performance of flash at a much lower cost.

How has it helped my organization?

No longer need to manage LUNs and reclaim space. No need to worry about performance degrading when capacity exceeds 80%. Space savings is great.

1 month

No, the deployment was very quick and easy to setup.

Never any stability issues. Even OS upgrade is simply and can be done during production hours.

Great customer service!

Haven't had the need for technical support.

We have been using NetApp for several years and made the switch for increased performance. The performance of the T820 exceed that of our NetApp FAS8040 with 46x 10k RPM drives with 5x SSD drives for Flash Pool.

Initial setup was very easy. Just fill in some information including IP addresses, jumbo frames, LACP, and you are good to go.

TBD, but had we purchased the Tintri prior to spending money on NetApp there would have been a huge cost savings.

Pricing is great, especially for what you are getting. The closest competitor I would match Tintri too as far as performance vs price is Nimble and I am glad we purchased Tintri.

Primarily looked at Nimble, but also considered SolidFire and Tegile.

What other advice do I have?

Look at where datacenters and virtualization are going. Many people consider "Software Defined" as simply a buzzword, but the truth is software is driving the datacenter. With Tintri you can save on compute resources by taking advantage of their VM-aware Storage. I honestly stumbled upon Tintri when I was looking into VVOLs with vSphere 6.0 and our NetApp. After lots of research it was apparent that VVOLs is not ready for prime-time and Tintri does A LOT more than what VVOLs can accomplish. Plus it was clear that VMware was simply taking the direction that Tintri already had a solution to. I couldn't be happier with the decision we made to invest in Tintri and our customers are much happier too.