Tintri VMstore Review

Integration with hypervisor managers, "VM awareness" within the storage, and visibility into the behaviors of each VM container and virtual disc are the most valuable features for us.

Valuable Features

We've found that its VM-related features are very valuable: integration with hypervisor managers (VMware and RHEV-M), "VM awareness" within the storage, and visibility into the behaviors of each VM container and virtual disc. It has very hands-off, detailed visibility and control mechanisms for issues or questions of VM performance.

It's also very reliable and has an overall ease-of-use.

Improvements to My Organization

By providing a domain-specific, virtualized, storage solution, Tintri helps me -

• Move VM storage off general-purpose arrays and re-use that resource more appropriately; and
  • Free up engineering resources to do more-useful work, versus managing and analyzing VM storage.

Room for Improvement

It needs current RHEV-M support (v2.5) which is slated for 2016. It also needs dedupe on the spinning media for the hybrid array. Change the UI to use something other than Adobe Flash.

Use of Solution

We've used it for a little over three years.

It was one of the simplest install and deploys I've been involved with.

It's got reliable hardware plus seamless HA failover.

Scaling is via a loosely-coupled "cluster" of independent VM store appliances.

Excellent; the appliance does phone-home and auto-support uploads, so Tintri support knows when there are issues. On-site support (used once in 3+ years) was efficient and professional.

Excellent; I have direct contact and touch-based communication with my SE, and timely response with support for any question or issue we've had.

We switched to save cost, improve performance, free-up existing resources for other tasks, and to gain VMware and RHEV-M support.

It's super-simple. We were already an NFS-attached VM storage shop, so I just added the Tintri appliances as a data store, then live-migrated VM images to it. From opening the box to initial testing took 30 minutes.

Implementation Team

I purchased from a VAR, but we did the install and integration ourselves, not for any lack of expertise from the VAR, but because the product is simple to install and deploy.

ROI

ROI is hard to quantify, but we gained visibility and optimization of the VM execution environment, freed up more-valuable resources (equipment and people) and improved reliability and stability of the VM execution environments.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Ask for discounts. Ask for "Tintri Global Center" as a free licence to go along with the VM appliances.

Other Solutions Considered

We considered NetApp, Nutanix, and HP 3PAR.

Other Advice

Try it, you'll like it.