Tintri VMstore Review

Some of the most valuable features we've found are the thin provisioning, deduplication, and VMware View/VDI support.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We purchased the T540 for our VMware View/VDI deployment. When we chose Tintri, it was the only product to offload the VDI cloning to the array. This reduced the provision by 8-15 minutes depending on which system we were on. Other systems now have this same feature, but the Tintri is rock solid.

Room for Improvement

We have tested the replication piece – it actually works well, but is expensive based on our limited needs – if we were utilizing the Tintri for more of our VM workload it may be more cost effective.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

Installation was maybe an hour including racking the equipment and setup. It's one of the simplest SANs I have touched. We have been eliminating new arrays all of 2015 and still, Tintri is the easiest to configure.

We encountered no issues with stability.

We currently have about 240TB of data and add about 60TB a year. Ideally, we prefer to have a single array to manage for our primary workload. Our VDI environment is stored separately and Tintri more than fits the need of this environment.

Customer service is great to work with.

Technical support has been excellent. We did a beta test of the T850. This involved us in weekly conference calls with their engineering dept. They are extremely knowledgeable and great to work with.

We were utilizing an EMC VNX which worked well for our day to day workloads, but was not optimized for VDI. That was what lead us to the Tintri solution in 2013.

It had the simplest setup of any SAN I've worked with.

Implementation Team

For the first T540, the Tintri engineer came up and walked us through the setup. I think this was mostly a good will gesture and to meet us in person. The second one my team did themselves. We had both communicating with the VMware environment in less than an hour.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I think for the money, Tintri is a great solution.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at other solutions. When we purchased this, it was the only solution offering the features we needed.

Other Advice

Buy it.