Tintri VMstore Review

Cloning new VMs using Tintri has saved me time. I use the feature on a regular basis.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features for me are the cloning and snapshot recovery functions.

Improvements to My Organization

Cloning new VMs using Tintri has saved me hours of waiting/work. It is the one feature that I use on a regular basis. Snapshot recovery is amazing as well. We rely on Tintri snapshots over VMware snapshots. They are so much easier to manage.

Room for Improvement

That’s tough. The thing is rock solid and easy to manage. Can’t think of anything right now, but reserve the right to revisit this.

The licensing model, however, is disappointing as each feature requires a license.

Use of Solution

We've used it for three years.

The deployment was straightforward and easy! We had a POC and never sent the box back. We really didn’t even need an engineer, but it was nice to get the knowledge transfer of tips and tricks after setting the box up.

None so far in three years.

It scales as promised. You run out of resources, you buy another one. We have not hit the limit on any of our boxes yet.

A+ excellent! Love my Tintri guys. They understand our use case and help us find the best solution. They keep their finger on the pulse and get in touch with me when something is going on that I need to know about. Our vendor relationship is outstanding.

Maybe even better than customer service!!! I don’t want to hurt any feelings here but I probably talk to technical support a little more often than I do customer service so I am giving them A++. So far, I have always gotten a person when I called. None of that they will call me back stuff. I really appreciate that. I need to talk with someone when I call, not 4 hours from when I call.

We did – NetApp. We switched for a variety of reasons – cost, we felt like the technology was old and they were trying to retrofit to keep up with emerging technologies, we didn't like the licensing model they used (every feature seemed to require a license).

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Implementation Team

We had a vendor team help us. Well, we lucky enough to have Trent Steele help us. That guy is just amazing.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing is fair, but the licensing model is disappointing. Initially, we thought Tintri was going with a “you buy our box, you buy everything” to simplify the licensing, but they have gone down the NetApp road of licensing features. We really don’t like that. Big disappointment.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated several options, including

• Tegile
  • EMC
  • Nimble Storage
  • Nimbus
  • NetApp

Other Advice

Do it. If you are in the NFS virtual world, there is no better device.