Trend Micro Deep Security Review

​The most valuable feature for us is moving the AV scanning engine to the hypervisor and removing it from the virtual machine.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is moving the AV scanning engine to the hypervisor and removing it from the virtual machine. We also use the compliance reporting (reporting in general) feature.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us a significant reduction of CPU/memory footprint required to run traditional AV products inside a virtual machine (VDI).

Room for Improvement

I'm not sure how this product could improve, although we did have some compatibility issues between it and versions of vSphere.

Use of Solution

We've used it for 13 months.

During deployment, we had the issue of compatibility between vSphere and Deep Security.

The stability issue we had was with regard to vSphere.

We had no issues with scalability.

Customer service was initially very poor, but once we reclassified our account from mid-size to enterprise, the support was very good.

Technical support is above average.

We previously used Symantec SAV, but it was too heavy for VDI.

Our initial setup was somewhat complex and required a significant interaction with Trend Micro support. This is a very new concept of taking the AV engine outside the VM and it took us some time to feel comfortable with the whole idea. It also required some deep understanding of how Trend Micro Deep Security “embeds” into a VMware environment, and that was not a easy task to master.

Implementation Team

We did the initial setup with our in-house team with significant help from Trend Micro technical support. I'd rate them very poorly because they completely missed the compatibility with vSphere issue. It took us a lot of time to fix the entire mess.

ROI

Our ROI is still unclear, but I'll have more details once the entire enterprise is moved to Trend Micro Deep Security.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Get a good reseller (our original VAR, MicroAge, had a difficult time clarifying some of the licensing vs. maintenance costs).

Other Solutions Considered

ESET and Symantec

Other Advice

Make sure your VMware SME is plugged in from the very beginning, do a limited low-level impact POC, and plug into the Trend Micro user community.