UiPath Process Mining Review

Valuable features include root cause analysis and identifying bottlenecks to improve workflows

What is our primary use case?

We are using Process Mining to identify processes to be automated. We are also using the product as part of our hyper-automation strategy. Right now we have been able to identify a lot of automation opportunities within the company based on the data that we are collecting from different system processes.

What is most valuable?

My shortlist of valuable features includes all the different types of analysis. For example, you can do a root cause analysis. In other words, if you have a process that has many different scenarios, you can identify where the problem is. You can also identify bottlenecks with root cause analysis. You do this by looking at the time that has been spent in specific stages or steps within the processes being performed. So the benefit is identifying the root cause by identifying the time that it takes to release that specific bottleneck. You can then look for ways to remedy the bottleneck.

To exemplify how this works, let's say you have a process that in the regular SLA (Service Level Agreement) takes two days for response time. The process is getting stuck in one step consistently and just that step is taking a day-and-a-half. The rest of your process is only half of a day, but just because there is a problem in one step, you are taking two days to complete the response. Now that the critical step is identified, you can look at taking measures to ease that pain point.

Another great feature is the ability to see processes at a higher level and take in the whole picture. If a process has too many variances — say there are 20 different ways of doing the task — you can identify which process is the one where that happens more often. This will prompt you to focus on that process for any possible ways to automate it and simplify the complexity.

What needs improvement?

One of the main pain points that I identified with the tool is the simulation. What I am looking for is a tool that is able to help us simulate scenarios. In practice, we pose scenarios to determine what happens if we change the value of a specific step in the process. A good simulation module would help you answer the question as to how well making that change will go. Process Mining is more of a pure process mining tool, but I think adding simulation capabilities will increase the value of the solution exponentially. Adding simulation capabilities would allow us to do some additional forecasting as well. I think my suggestion — considering the product category — is doing more to support integration with that type of simulation capability even if it is not directly in the product.

A second pain point has to do with a deeper exploration of what you have mined. If there were an option to export to UiPath Orchestrator or the UiPath Studio functionality you can then further explore and utilize whatever you have mined. The export would make the process into some usable components that could be mined or used in other ways. I think that will be a great help and addition to the product. It would mostly be useful for development purposes.

We have been using the Process Mining (it used to be Process Gold) for about four months now.

I am actually impressed with the stability of the product to this point in time. We have not experienced any issues with lagging or processing problems.

Process Mining is definitely scalable. We have been able to add some other business departments to work with the product so they can start looking into the efficiency of their processes as well.

The other thing that affects scalability is tenancy. With the on-premises solution, they were offering a multi-tenancy option, where then you can partition everything. On the cloud, it is a little bit different because everyone just gets a tenant in the beginning. Both are scalable, it is just handling the scalability differently.

For now, the group of people using the product is more centralized. Use is limited to a few people within the Center of Excellence because we are the ones currently making all of the process analysis. We are making decisions based on the data we mine. It is not yet enabled for use by everyone at the organization. So, for now, less than 10 people have access to it. There is no reason to believe that this usage will not be easy to scale.

Of those 10 people, just two or three are required to be involved with deploying the updates and maintaining the solution.

I have not yet had to use technical support for Process Mining. I have used the tech support for other UiPath tools in the past with other technologies such as Orchestrator and Studio, and I have experienced a very good response from the tech support team. They act pretty quickly on anything that we ask them for and most of the time their analysis and their recommendations are very accurate. I assume that the tech support experience for Process Mining will be similar as it is within the same company.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward because it is on the cloud. I am not really sure how difficult it is to install on-premises, but in the cloud, it is very simple.

The way that we started here is by getting a trial version of Process Mining. With that, we got to play around with the tool and we got to see whatever we needed to see to make our decision about using the product. When we decided, UiPath just converted the license into an enterprise license and that was the extent of the difficulty of 'installation.' It was really a seamless integration that virtually required no installation time or configuration.

We are currently working on an ELA (Enterprise Licensing Agreement), but usually, the pricing of Process Mining is based on an annual subscription.

The cost per year depends on the users and what the clients are able to negotiate with their salesperson. The use case factors into the cost in the end.

We did not actually evaluate other options before choosing UiPath Process Mining, but we did a broader assessment and analysis of multiple tools. The main drivers of our assessment were the integration with RPA (Robotic Process Automation) and road mapping the product and additional features that the particular product offered. We wanted to integrate the solution well with the RPA and we needed to know what the immediate capabilities of the product were. Of course, the cost played into this as well, but the cost is a consideration when you are effectively comparing a breakdown of functionality. Some features may be worth more to you than others.

What other advice do I have?

One of the things that I will suggest for people looking into this type of solution is to also look into task mining. That is another complementary feature within process mining that is going to allow users to see all their processes from a more detailed perspective based on individual tasks within the processes.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst, and ten is the best, I would rate UiPath Process Mining as a nine-out-of-ten. The capabilities are strong and the product performs at a high level.

More UiPath Process Mining reviews from users