vCenter Configuration Manager Review

It is really affordable and we haven't had any stability or scalability issues

What is our primary use case?

We are responsible for the planning stage only, and we gradually do monthly-based monitoring and capacity utilization of the IT infrastructure. Based on our findings, we do some brainstorming to determine if there was an error or if it was due to less processing or storage capacity or memory management, those kind of things. So we use this program to do internal planning, basically.

What is most valuable?

People will purchase this solution because it is cost-effective and it suits ERP or CRM for the virtual environment solution. Azure is currently very popular in India, and some are using VMware on the Microsoft platform or on Red Hat Linux.

I find the vMotion and the DRS very valuable and important, as it is required for any medium or large IT solution for business applications.

What needs improvement?

Customers who want a business solution, should try to implement the IDL based processes for configuration management, patch management, release management and asset management. It will improve the life cycle management of their solution.

I am very familiar with this program, as I've been using it for almost fourteen years now.

We haven't had any stability issues.

I believe the program is scalable. We have at least three to four people at each site, depending upon the capacity of the internal users within our organization site.

We have support partners with VMware and Microsoft. We give our solutions to the clients based on their requirements, and then we also use the program ourselves. The technical support is not bad. It is good internally for our organization, and we are not facing any problems now. We have not taken platinum support, so our teams that are operating from the client site will have to wait longer to get their problems fixed. That is because every OEM has layers of support for platinum, gold, silver, and those kinds of things.

The initial setup wasn't really complex, it's just that the system integrator and the client should sit together and plan the basic things. They should write down in detail how to collect the information of the IT and non-IT comments, as well as data classification, so that those can be populated into the asset as well as the Configuration Management tool, and subsequently the tool can be used in a better way.

Deployment doesn't take that long. If the data is available, it can be configured within three to four days, after certifying the valid data by the customer. Data collection takes up more time and, again, it depends on the customer, whether it is government or private. If it is government, it takes a little more time because some of the departments will be reluctant to share all their data in one go.

It is an affordable program, but I don't know what the licensing fees are.

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we require more from the solution than what is offered. We usually map these things into the Configuration Management tool so that they are taken care of or made available faster. I think this should be a part of the program so that those things could be reflected faster.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate the program between 8.5 to 9.5 because in India some of the medium-sized business enterprises are not having a flexible IT budget for a configuration management tool. They prefer that the system integrator should buy it from his own pocket.