Veritas Backup Exec Review

Easily restore data with this package designed for simple environments

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is that we are using it for backup mostly with Hyper-V service.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to step up to a better backup routine from the previous product we were using.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me are the ease of restoring the data and the backup window.

What needs improvement?

I think that the one place the product could improve the most is in user-friendliness. If you compare it with Veritas' NetBackup, for example, that difference is pretty clear. They could take a lesson from their own products.

Capability-wise the Backup Exec product is very good, but the lack of user-friendliness means people struggle to find and use some of the interesting features that would otherwise benefit from. They will miss utilizing those capabilities.

Reporting capabilities are not up to the standard of other products. If you compare the reports which we get from NetBackup, those contain a lot of information that we need and do not get with Backup Exec. By comparison, the Backup Exec reports are pretty simple.

Better reporting capability and a more user-friendly design would greatly improve usability.

We have been using Veritas for backup for close to five years now.

We have not seen any glitches in the product's function. It has always been stable and reliable.

It is easy to scale the solution. There is a limitation to the size or complexity of the environment that it will be optimal for, but it is scalable.

The technical support is pretty good. We have reached out for Backup Exec and we have gotten the support that we needed.

We were using Data Protection Manager prior to Backup Exec. We switched to Veritas because we saw by comparison that it was a better product for our situation with more capabilities.

The setup was simple. I do not really remember exactly how much time it took to set up because it has been quite some time now, but I know that we did not have issues getting it up and running.

The setup was done by a small team from within our company without the help of a vendor or integrator. The team was mostly made up of engineers within the company. The product has remained in place for about five years.

It requires maintenance from our side. Usually, it is mostly the admins managing it, so that is about four people in our case.

The cost of Veritas is really mid-range for this class of product, I would say. Everything is included in one license and there are no additional, hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this product would be to know how many servers have to be covered and the complexity of the environment as well as the capabilities of Backup Exec. Veritas cannot handle a complex environment very well. It is really only designed for a simple environment.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I can rate Veritas Backup Exec as somewhere around eight. It has some very good capabilities but limitations with system complexity, user-friendliness, and depth of reporting.

More Veritas Backup Exec reviews from users