Veritas Backup Exec Review

Great backup solution if you need support.

Valuable Features:

I use this on a few of my servers. This does a great job with scheduling full backups and incremental backups. Support is good due to it being an enterprise product.

Room for Improvement:

Sometimes permissions and deploying the agents can be tricky. I found that running as a local admin works better than domain admin. Some tape drives it has issues with, and doesn't like certain tape manufacturers.

Other Advice:

I have mostly moved away from this to Amanda backup, due to it being open source (free!!). A few years ago, this would be all that I trust to do backups, but now it is no longer needed.
2 Comments
Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employeesConsultant

Amanda is suitable for all platforms including Windows, Mac and Unix/Linux. Whereas symantec backup exec does not support Mac operting system. Amanda also has some excellent features that are not available in backup exec like compression and remote access. Do you think that in the future, symantic can take place of Amanda?

12 February 13
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employeesConsultantTOP REVIEWER

Can we use Symantec Backup for mysql hot backup? What are the other utilities that can be used for mysql online backup?

16 March 14