Veritas Backup Exec Review

Integrates well with other technologies and solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for backing up our network servers. This includes our Oracle SQL databases, Windows backup, Direct Control, Active Directory, and our Exchange server.

We are using the on-premise deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

Most companies are now implementing network servers, and we have done the same. This solution works well and has good integration with technologies such as VMware and Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backing up of our network servers.

What needs improvement?

This solution does not support image-level backup of a physical server.

The backup and restore process should be faster.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable.

Scalability of this solution is good.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

I use multiple solutions for backup and recovery. I currently work with Commvault and Veeam. In the past, I have used also used CloudFare and Acronis.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The deployment takes between one and two hours. One person is sufficient for the installation, although you may need help from other people for the integration with other solutions.

One administrator is enough to maintain this solution.

I work as a consultant for Veritas and I implement this solution for other companies.

The three most popular solutions are Veritas, Veeam, and Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to read the admin guide. It is important to look at the prerequisites, such as the operating system version. Find out whether you satisfy the minimum requirements for compatibility.