Windows 10 Review

Scalable with good stability, however it needs a better system for initiating updates

What is most valuable?

I don't know if I can discuss the solution in relation to other Windows versions, however, I can compare it to other OS like Unbuntu. For example, it's quite a secure operating system. The ease with which you can download different Python libraries is very good there.

If you're a developer, you can do everything with the help of the Command Prompt and console.

What needs improvement?

I'm more into artificial intelligence and the data science side. So I do not like Windows that much.

Setting up the environment variable, etc., needs improvement. This is true not only for Windows 10 but for Windows as a whole. It is currently a huge mess. Due to this, working with many libraries and packages becomes a difficult task. If they could find a better solution or a replacement for environment variables, I'd be extremely happy.

The only thing which concerns me is updates. It gets updated often. Sometimes, however, it automatically gets updated. That is an issue. It can happen when you do not want it to be done. It's possible it can start and your files are not saved. They may be open while your laptop enters sleep mode. Then, when you re-open the computer to continue work, it all of a sudden decides to update, destroying your work.

Once I accidentally did something that erased hidden folders on the C drive. It caused a lot of issues. Windows got corrupted on me. They should work to ensure that it isn't possible to accidentally delete these files or there should be a replica for them on the hard disc or something of that nature.

Google has functionality whereby if you have your email ID open on your phone, on your Android phone, that means you can sync everything on your Google drive. The same thing should be provided by Microsoft. I do not think Microsoft provides a dedicated account to every valid Windows holder. This should be done so that everything you have on your local system should be somehow in synchronization with the cloud. That way, if something happens, like your laptop is stolen, or your laptop is corrupted all of a sudden, your data is not misplaced. You have your data somewhere. A sync with the cloud service should be available.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight months at this point. It's been less than a year.

Windows 10 is a stable solution; it provides everything. There's a good Windows store where you can go and get your apps. There are other things also that Microsoft provides as well. For example, on Windows, you can download a virtual machine. If you want to use Ubuntu, as I do, due to the fact that I am more comfortable with Ubuntu, you can download the VM there on Windows and start with your work.

Everything is provided by Windows, and things are stable. If I talk about Windows only, in between OS such as Linux, then I'd say Linux is better. However, overall, Windows 10 is pretty reliable.

The solution is scalable. If an organization needs to expand it out, they shouldn't run into issues doing so.

So far I haven't had to reach out to technical support; I can't speak to its quality of service or the level of responsiveness to queries.

I have experience with Unbuntu as well. I used Unbuntu about a year back. Now I'm using Windows for data science. Initially, I used Ubuntu for data science. So I've used both the platforms.

The commands are very good and very easy in Ubuntu as compared to Windows. In Windows, you'll have to do a lot of things. You need to, for example set the environment variable, etc., which is not necessary in Ubuntu. You can directly download and put it in your user directory. You can also utilize the services from there. So I would say from the developer's point of view, and from an AI practitioner's point of view, Linux Ubuntu is a good option to go for.

While I found that the initial setup was very straightforward on Linux's Ubuntu, it was a bit complex and much harder in Windows. It's not straightforward per se.

I haven't used Windows 10  for deployment. I've used the Linux machine only. Deploying on Ubuntu won't take much of a time. It's very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the vendor.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using currently is.

Windows 10 is quite a stable version of the solution. If you compare it with Windows 8, it is much, much better. If one wants to use Windows as an operating system, I would recommend it. If one is more comfortable with other operating systems, they can run it in a virtual machine and give partition on Windows so that half of the memory is allocated for other OS.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Windows 10 reviews from users