Windows 10 Review

System startup improved, applications run smooth, regular free upgrades, and affordable

What is our primary use case?

We are a small company and we use Windows 10 Professional for five of our computers.

How has it helped my organization?

Windows 10 Professional is more stable than our previous version, Windows 7 Enterprise, for our purposes.  We've not had a single crash since installing it.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 Professional allows us to network our internal computers and share files easily.

Startup time is faster with Windows 10 over Windows 7 Enterprise.

It is highly stable.  As mentioned above, we've not had any crashes in three years, which is amazing.

Microsoft releases patches and updates.  And we've not had any issues with them, so far.

The applications seem to run smoother on Windows 10 Pro than they did with Windows 7.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if Microsoft could make PCs boot much faster but I think it may be more of a function of the PC's system design than the operating system.  Solid-state drives have no mechanical mechanisms making them faster than the earlier hard disk drive technology.  I'm an end-user, like most people, and want my PC to boot faster so I may begin my work.

As I think further about Windows 10 improvement, it would be better if Microsoft could improve how their operating system stores files.  And I would like to find my information quicker without having to devise a new search strategy every time I forget where I stored a file.

I have been using the solution since it came out. I believe it was approximately three years.

It seems to be reliable. We've not had any crashes with it on any of our PCs in three years of daily heavy use.

We don't have scalability as a requirement.

We've not had to use Microsoft customer service with Windows 10. We've used tech experts on user blogs that are available online for unusual situations with other Microsoft applications but not yet with Windows 10 Professional.  I don't know if these experts are paid or not but they usually respond within 48 hours.

We used Windows 7 Enterprise, which was occasionally unstable, but effective overall.  Windows 10 Professional is more stable.

The setup is automatic. Hit the go button and it installs smoothly.

We haven't calculated it, but I would estimate that the lack of crashes saved us at least 20 hours per year per PC.  Maybe, that is a bit high, but it's a ballpark guess.

Windows 10 was already factory installed on our new PCs.  We upgraded to Windows 10 Professional later.  For home users, the professional version is not necessary unless file sharing between PCs is a requirement.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows 10 Professional an eight out of ten.

More Windows 10 reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Ubuntu Linux
Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.