Windows 10 Review

User-friendly with good UI but has some latency

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for connecting to my remote machine, to the VPN, to my work network. That's the main purpose. I also use it for applications such as Microsoft Word or for accessing YouTube and items of that nature.

What is most valuable?

The UI of the solution has not changed drastically over the years, and therefore, it's easy to get used to the solution if you've used earlier versions of Windows. It's user-friendly in that sense.

Online technical support is helpful. There's a lot of documentation.

What needs improvement?

I notice a lot of latency in Windows 10. Sometimes it slows down things. If I use a virtualized environment and if I run Windows 10, it's definitely slow, even on my personal computer, if it is not SSD. The performance could be much better.

Built into the solution is Windows Defender, which is in all the recent versions of the Windows operating system, however, we still end up buying an extra antivirus product in the market to ensure we are secure. Windows Defender should be enhanced and compete with the market with other antivirus products so that it comes as part of the operating system and actually offers very good protection.

Native apps such as, for example, Windows Notepad, which is a basic feature provided by Windows over the last 24 years, have had no enhancement at all. If you try to play around with some data or put it in a Notepad note, it still is quite difficult to use. You need to pay for Notepad++ or some TextPad, or some other application tool to get some actual usability.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while.

The performance needs improvement. It can be a bit slow. It takes time to render things. In comparison, Mac renders items very quickly.

I've used online tech support in the past. It depends on the case. In a few cases, it is informative and in a few cases, it is not. What I notice is that if I am using Windows, from Windows 95 onwards, if I recollect it correctly. As an end-user, there isn't too much of a drastic change in how it works, and as I've used it for 24 years or so, I have every good understanding of the product.

I started using Windows since Windows 95. Before that, I likely used DOS.

I was not a part of the installation process. I got the hardware with the Windows 10 already installed on it. Therefore, I can't speak to the process or how long it takes to deploy.

My understanding is that the license was paid for upfront with the laptop. I can't speak to the exact cost as I just have it on my laptop, and it came already installed and ready to go.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's an okay product, however, there are areas for improvement, specifically if you look at the performance.

That said, I would recommend the solution to other users.

More Windows 10 reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Ubuntu Linux
Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.