XenServer Review

Full virtualization solution that you can start with almost zero cost

Valuable Features:

XenServer have four different editions: Free, Advanced, Enterprise, Platinum. You can ask for free license at no cost but you have to renew it each year. The free edition lacks some features that are only available on the other three editions. We can easily access XenServer from XenCenter; we can even manage multiple XenServer from a single XenCenter.

Room for Improvement:

XenCenter is not available on Mac OS X or Linux, so we can only manage XenServer(s) from Windows. XenServer also lack of web based administration interface. We have to install XenServer on a dedicated machine, we can’t even have XenServer dual boot with another OS because XenServer installation will wipe the whole drive before installation. The processor that we use has to support virtualization (Intel-VT or AMD-V).

Other Advice:

Good alternative of VMware ESXi, you can use free version to try the product first and perhaps move to the paid version if you need support or you need features that is not available in the free version.
2 Comments
Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employeesVendor

Citrix XenServer is a very easy to deploy and manage virtualization product. It works well and flexible for a variety of deployments. It has everything that VMWare or Hyper-V does but in an inexpensive (open-source) package. I run it at my home lab on commodity hardware and it doesn't even flinch. Also, their support center is very professional. The only problem I have run into was that the only backup solution for XenServer is PhDVirtual, which I could not integrate with my current backup solution. But overall is a very good product and I recommend it.

04 April 14
Elliott ScottReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Alin, have you looked at SEP Sesam? It has hooks into the Xenserver host and is able to back up the guests natively without agents (as long as it's running on the host). Check out www.sepusa.com

Elliott