Jploafgc 400x400

XenServer Review
Most people know VMWare and Hyper-V. XenServer fits right in the middle.

Primary Use Case

Virtualization platform that was easy to maintain for our staff expertise and allowed for inexpensive licensing when support was required.

Improvements to My Organization

Allowed us to maintain a desired level of high availability between our XenServer farms. Increased our response time to backend errors.

Valuable Features

All features of the product are valuable, depends on the situation. I have used all of the features at one time or another.

Room for Improvement

Integrated workload balancing and virtual switch management that doesn't require another virtual appliance to control.

Use of Solution

More than five years.

Rock Solid for the most part, of course, as with any technology there are software patches required for specific issues.

I haven't encountered any scalability issues yet. I have built multiple XenServer pools (simple HA pairs for SMB to large Enterprise deployments of 8-20 physical hosts).

Provided you can get past the tier 1 support personnel quickly, it is great.

All of the Citrix Engineers that I have worked with have been very knowledgable and helpful.

VMWare was the previous solution, we switched to lower our licensing costs and support costs.

Installation is very straightforward and can be completed in less than 5 minutes.

Implementation Team

In-House team; I tested from the beginning and moved the platform into production.

ROI

N/A

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Cannot answer this question; but the product is free, you only need to purchase a license if you want commercial level support from Citrix.

Other Solutions Considered

At the time, there were really only a couple of companies providing virtualization platform technologies. I had found XenSource and started testing the solution.

Other Advice

Test, Test, Test as with any product, make sure it will accomplish what you expect. Citrix XenServer is not marketed out there so most of the people, I talk to, only are aware of VMWare and Hyper-V. XenServer fits right in the middle (in my opinion) of those two products.

8 visitors found this review helpful
E2c4dee7 5c3b 477b a4c1 6dc4119ff743 avatar9f5453af 8fbf 4a44 ba4f 6fbf1eb61d5c avatarKevin spittle li?1414330134Shanthamurthy hanumantharayappa li?1419576157Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30Anonymous avatar x30

5 Comments

Md shams sultan li?1414333699
Md. Shams SultanReal UserTOP 20

None yet. I have built multiple XenServer pools (simple HA pairs for SMB to large Enterprise deployments).

Like (0)14 July 14
reviewer170046UserTOP 20

May I know the reason why in the market the users are using VMware for esxi consolidation?

Like (0)09 December 14
Shanthamurthy hanumantharayappa li?1419576157

Yes, Dan's opinion is in the bracket but Citrix XenAppServer is absolutely between VMware and Hyper-V. XenAppServer is not a form interface it is straight forward as added Policies protection to the MS Server Policies. I am not an implementer but learner and Our organization implemented and I am a client user and I like it.

Like (0)25 June 15
Anonymous avatar x30

This review seems to reflect real-world experience.

Like (0)25 June 15
e.desimoneReal User

En breve voy a probarlo.

Like (0)03 July 15