XenServer Review

We're not tied to a single piece of hardware so we can quickly adjust, but it needs to gain more market share to incentivize improvement.

Valuable Features

Basic virtualization, we used it before we already had the license as we’re a Citrix shop, so it’s cost effective. If we were looking for another solution, we wouldn't go with it.

Improvements to My Organization

• Eease of maintenance
  • Ability to move around regardless of hardware
  • We're not tied to single piece of hardware, so if a piece of hardware fails we can quickly adjust

Room for Improvement

All partners will build their apps around Hyper-V and vSphere, so XenServer needs to gain more market share with better relationship with their partners so that they’re incentivized to improve XenServer. It’s not functionality that will drive me away, it’s that I can’t integrate as well as with other vendors.

We rarely have issues. I come across bugs once in a while, but that’s pretty rare.

It’s highly scalable, haven’t run into any hardware issues that would prevent growth. We don’t have any old, legacy hardware we’re tiring to fit in.

Very good, they get us to the right level technician pretty quickly so we’re not just walking through a checklist. We get someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team

We figured it out on our own. Good documentation and set of options is less to roll out.

Other Advice

Research the different partners you have to work with throughout your organization and determine how well they work with Hyper-V and vSphere as opposed to XenServer.

1 Comment
Shailesh SurroopReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Fully agree with Eric about the integration of Xenserver with other vendors, especially with storage vendors. But i guess the gap is closing especially with the popularity that software defined storage is taking. Sooner we may see the likes of Citrix Melio fully integrating Xenserver to provide a complete solution for desktop, server, backup, snapshot and replication. Have you tried the beta version of Xenserver Dundee? DOM0 is no longer limited to 4GB which is a great relief.

03 November 15