Zscaler Cloud Firewall Review

Configuration features and full integration make this extremely simple to use

What is our primary use case?

My primary goal is to find the simple and easy cloud solutions that I am reselling. Zscaler is one of them because it provides something that is broader than only firewalling on cloud. There is a lot of work around it and it's all outsourced once it's in the cloud and protects from attacks. The great thing about it is that people get the most updated software and hardware security guarantee.

We deal with medium-sized enterprise companies. We're in Europe and I am the only unique Zscaler reseller for companies with less than 2000 users. They normally don't deal with companies smaller than that.

What is most valuable?

The solution has great features like configuration. It would be difficult to improve or simplify what Zscaler does. Once you have Zscaler running you have access to configure it however you want.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that might be improved would be to enable application of different settings. It's really the difference between having it on premises or on cloud. If you have a next gen firewall from Palo Alto which is the best on-premise solution, then you might be able to configure some things a little more. It's possible that with Zscaler, the customization of some options could be improved a little to match what is available on-premise but because it's on cloud, it doesn't allow application of extra settings.

I've been using the solution for about 18 months.

I haven't seen any stability issues and I've seen it running in large banks.

The scalability of the solution is good and fast to implement.

Technical support is generally fine although sometimes there are exceptions. But there's generally a quick response and they're cooperative.

Initial setup is very simple and then it's just a matter of IP addresses exchanged between Zscaler and the customer, and then configuration. Any extras require just ticking the box and it's done. Technically, setup can take five minutes, and up to a week dealing with individual customer requirements, IP addresses, etc. Most of our customers have their own IT people who implement. Maintenance is included with the product, it's all in the cloud server which is maintained 24/7.

Cost is about the same whether it's on-prem or on cloud. Initial cost is higher with an on-prem solution and with cloud there are additional fees for configuring extras.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people figure out what they need and then check the market. Zscaler is  the Rolls Royce for this kind of solution. If you can afford to buy a Rolls Royce then you should take it even though it's one of the more expensive solutions. It's the best one with full integration and everything you would expect. If you're looking for a quick and cheap solution, that would be TitanHQ. It's a reasonable product but there is obviously a big difference between Zscaler and TitanHQ.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

More Zscaler Cloud Firewall reviews from users