AppDynamics Database Monitoring Overview

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is the #15 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to Broadcom DX Application Performance Management: AppDynamics Database Monitoring vs Broadcom DX Application Performance Management

What is AppDynamics Database Monitoring?

More than half of application performance bottlenecks originate in the database, but most application teams have little or no visibility into database performance. With AppDynamics' database performance management product, you get 100% visibility into application performance, from the browser to the database.

Key Benefits

• Visualize end-to-end application performance, from the browser to the database
  • Get alerts when database thresholds are violated
  • Monitor key performance metrics like top users, programs, SQL, objects and more.
  • See execution plans for slow SQL to isolate performance bottlenecks
AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide

Download the AppDynamics Database Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Database Monitoring pricing:
  • "Pricing is based on the size of the deployment."
  • "In terms of pricing, I feel that when you compare the benefits that we get to the price that we paid, it is reasonable."

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Reviews

reviewer1270896
Director of Application Performance Monitoring As A Service (MAPS & MSPM) with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Feb 26, 2020
While this is still a good solution for database monitoring it has fallen from its place as a leader in the field

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for this product is application performance monitoring for mission-critical applications. We are a reseller.

• "The product is stable and the technical support is good."
  • "The product lost its place as an industry leader."
  • "The setup, implementation and use are clumsy and need to be refined."

What other advice do I have?

As advice to people considering the solution, I would tell them to scope it out really well and to do a lot of research on their intended application and their business use cases. There may be another, better solution available for their needs. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a seven. I would rate them at a seven because they definitely have a better product than several other products on the market, they have good functionality, and I think they are fairly affordable. The reason I would not rate them higher is because there…
reviewer1123284
Consultant APM et Performance with 10,001+ employees
Feb 26, 2020
Good database monitoring and quite stable but needs more dashboards

What is our primary use case?

What we do in general is analysis on the application side. When we have slow SQL requests we jump on the database monitoring to see, for example, the total time the request has been pending in the database. We can solve SQL requests by their pending time.

• "The solution is very, very stable. We haven't faced any bugs or glitches on the system."
  • "An improvement could be if the monitoring was able to be summarized into something more clear and simple for people who don't have the technical skills on the database side."

What other advice do I have?

For me, the first recommendation I would have to other organizations considering implementation would be to have a person or people who have good skills on database monitoring. How AppDynamics works is basically just monitoring the metrics that already exist in the databases. These metrics are really technical metrics, so a company has to have some people that are really specialized in reading them. They need to have a good database administrator or database analyst in place. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics Database Monitoring. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Marcos Pestana
IT Service and Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Jul 30, 2019
Exception discovery has helped us to improve availability and performance

What is our primary use case?

We implemented AppDynamics to have a clear, real-time monitoring solution for our critical business systems. We have two tenants; one for production and the other for our quality control environment. We are using more than fifty probes, including application and database probes. Our company is worldwide, across geography. We are using the public cloud deployment model.

• "We were able to correct problems, which led to an increase in availability, time savings, and performance for our solutions."
  • "Based on the user experience feedback that we have had, I think that the most important thing to improve is the availability of the SaaS, the cloud environment."

What other advice do I have?

We collect user experience feedback from many countries, all over the world. We have already recommended this product to some of our partners, and they have implemented it based on our advice. This is a good product, but we still have issues with the cloud and stability. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten, due to stability issues and no feedback from EMEA AppDynamics.
PradeepSingh
Associate Principal Consultant at BRavura
Feb 3, 2020
A straightforward initial setup with helpful snapshot features and good monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for database monitoring. We also have defense solutions available to monitor the database performance. We use AppDynamics in our pipeline.

• "The feature that is most valuable to us is the snapshot feature. It allows us to get a snapshot of different SQL scripts that are being executed simultaneously and we can identify everything we need on them."
  • "The application monitoring needs improvement. It needs to be easier for someone who isn't a proficient developer."

What other advice do I have?

The solution we are using is SaaS-based. The controller is deployed on the cloud, and we have integrated different Linux environments with it. There are a couple of Java agents as well as machine engines and a DB agent that we utilize. I don't have too much interaction with the teams that handle the solution, so I don't know if I have any advice to give other companies in relation to implementation. I don't have too much exposure when it comes to database monitoring and am not overly familiar with the application itself. I'd rate it at least a six out of ten based on my experience with the…
reviewer1269657
Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2020
A fantastic solution for monitoring a database

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database monitoring, application processing, and performance monitoring. Within our business unit, there are hundreds of people using this solution. AppDynamics was implemented to help us with some performance issues. I'm not a big fan in terms of other features compared to some of the other tools that we use, but when it comes to end-user monitoring (where you want to capture or trend back business transactions, or where you want to really view the performance of the tools), It's not just good in terms of managing your production system, but some of the developers use… more »

• "To be honest, it's a fantastic product."
  • "The scalability could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies. On a scale from one to ten, I would give AppDynamics Database Monitoring a rating of eight. To be honest, it's a fantastic product.
Ahmed Sokar
Senior IT Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 22, 2019
The solution only monitors delays and needs more monitoring options

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for end-to-end visibility for all applications we choose to monitor.

• "The solution is great for database monitoring. You don't have to install an agent on the database. You just install the server to a database agent. It's a good product for some database administration if you don't want to install an agent on the database for security."
  • "The solution should add some monitoring similar to Oracle monitoring tools for databases. It has a lot of features to monitor SQL queries, and make some recommendation to resolve it. AppDynamics is just monitoring for delays and doesn't provide any recommendations for that. It's a deficiency."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I would advise new users to not install AppDynamics for their database only. Just the database portion isn't dynamic enough without other portions of the AppDynamics suite. I would rate all database applications nine out of ten, but I would rate just the database monitoring four out of ten.
reviewer1198065
QA Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Dec 16, 2019
Scalable, stable, and good for monitoring transactions

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring the transactions of our user's in-app purchases.

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to discover and track transactions."
  • "The user access management could be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We currently use the on-premises deployment model but we are in the process of moving over to the cloud. The solution is a good tool. I'd advise others to use the cloud deployment model so that you don't need to worry so much about having enough infrastructure if you you want to scale. I'd rate it eight out of ten.
reviewer1463868
Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 14, 2020
Fast and stable monitoring for effective issue resolution but needs networking monitoring functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for enterprise-level monitoring, everything from application to database monitoring. The product will tell you everything. It will show you at the code level where the issue is. For example, the solution will analyze a database and it will tell you which of the CPUs are taking more time to execute, showing exactly where the issue is.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to find issues fast and resolve them.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have a dashboard and artificial intelligence for error detection and correlation for future releases.

I have been using the product for six years.

It is a stable…