Broadcom Test Data Manager Overview

Broadcom Test Data Manager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Test Data Management tools. It is most often compared to Informatica Test Data Management (TDM): Broadcom Test Data Manager vs Informatica Test Data Management (TDM)

What is Broadcom Test Data Manager?

CA Test Data Manager offers an automated solution to one of the most time-consuming and resource-intensive problems in Continuous Delivery - creating, maintaining and provisioning of the test data needed to rigorously test evolving applications. CA Test Data Manager uniquely combines elements of data subsetting, masking and synthetic, on-demand data generation to enable testing teams to meet the agile needs of the organization.

Broadcom Test Data Manager is also known as CA Test Data Manager, DataMaker, DataFinder, Fast Data Masker, CA TDM.

Broadcom Test Data Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Broadcom Test Data Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Broadcom Test Data Manager Customers

Manheim, Arag

Broadcom Test Data Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Masks and generates data while obeying the relationships in our relational databases

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data generation, for performance testing, and other test cases. We also use data masking and data profiling for functional testing. Data masking is one of the important aims in our procurement of this tool because we have some sensitive data in production. We have to mask it to use it in a testing environment. Our real concern is masking and we are learning about this subject.

• "The data generation is one of the most valuable features because we are able to write a lot of rules. We have some specific rules here in Turkey, for example, Turkish ID IBAN codes for banks."
  • "There are different modules for masking. There is a portal and there is a standalone application as well. The standalone application is more old-fashioned. When you write rules on this old-fashioned interface, because it has more complex functions available for use, you can't migrate them to the portal."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know the requirements of your system, for example, the security policies you have to observe. The requirements may include a concern about relational or other database systems. You have to know your systems. Depending on your system, consider using one or more consultants, because we had a problem just using one. Also, compare all the tools by doing proofs of concept. That's important. We have been using it for three months, but before that we also did a proof of concept in stages for about a year. Regarding future use, we plan to use it in automation testing with content…
PB
Front Line Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
We use most of the test matching features in our testing processes

What is our primary use case?

We use a lot of creating data mods and test matching features. We did establish the subsetting cloning process as well, but based on the client requirements. Creating data mods and using test matching features are something which we have found fits our purpose. We use most of the test matching features in our testing processes and also the integration with App Test is something we heavily use.

• "I like the integration a lot. We use the test matching feature and the ability to make and find data."
  • "When I run my App Test, I can directly connect with TDM. I can publish all my data into one table in TDM, then run my App Test directly."
  • "When we publish a lot data into the target, sometimes it is not able to handle it."
  • "The relationship between cables needs to be added."
  • "A lot of research, data analysis, and work needs to be done on the source system in the tool which requires a data expert. This tool definitely requires a senior person to work on this issue, as it might be a challenge for a tester."

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend this product, because of the vast variety of data it provides for testing and its different features, like subsetting and cloning. I have heard of products which can do cloning and similar stuff, but there are many additional features in this tool, which is very useful for the testing and finding defects. We found we mostly use one or two features, so we need to be very clear on what we need before choosing a product. Test Data Manager is good, and there are a lot of advantages that you get from using the tool, especially for testing and incubating with the App…
Find out what your peers are saying about Actifio vs. Broadcom Test Data Manager and other solutions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Project Manager /Senior Solution Architect at Cognizant
Data privatization, provisioning, and generation for DevOps and CI/CD pipeline

What is our primary use case?

Test Data Management solution for our DevOps model, which is very useful. Data privatization (GDPR enable), synthetic test data generation, and test data provisioning are its main interesting features.

How has it helped my organization?

On-time production and real time data for DevOps testing environment and CI/CD pipeline.

What is most valuable?

Data privatization, provisioning, and generation for DevOps and CI/CD pipeline.

What needs improvement?

More features on Big Data environment data privatization.  Synthetic data generation on domain specific.  SAP test data generation for SAP testing.

Still implementing.
Domain Manager at KeyBank National Association
Video Review
Enables us to incorporate automation and self-service to eliminate all of our manual efforts

• "It removes manual intervention. A lot of the time that we've spent previously was always manually, as an individual running SQL scripts against databases, or manually going through a UI to create data. These solutions allow us to incorporate automation and self-service to eliminate all of our manual efforts."
  • "Core features that we needed were synthetic data creation, and to be able to do complex data mining and profiling across multiple databases with referential integrity intact across them. CA's product actually came through with the highest score and met the most of our needs."
  • "All financial institutions are based on mainframes, so they're never going to go away. There are ppportunities to increase functionality and efficiencies within the mainframe solution, within this TDM product."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate it about an eight. It provides the functionality that we're needing. There are always opportunities for improvement and I don't ever give anyone a 10, so it's good for our needs.
Systems Architect at Global Bank Corporation
The initial setup was straightforward. Just install, next, and start using it.

What is our primary use case?

We are having a serious trouble delivering and providing development environments and test environments for the diversifications that we use at the bank. What we are trying to do is use the time for that delivery, and that is why we are exploring using CA tools for networks. We already have the Server Virtualization tool, and now we are entering into the test of the management phase of tables.

• "​The initial setup was straightforward. Basically, just install, next, and start using it​."

What other advice do I have?

The first thing that you should start with is the requirements and automation. That is the first step. We started with the Service Virtualization, then we found that we should have started with the requirements first. Because the natural processes are defined in our requirements, then you go to the virtualizer services that you are going to need, and then the data, but we started with the Service Virtualization. Now, we realized that we needed to start with the requirements first. It would be working better if the requirements were designed right. Most important criteria when selecting a…
    Senior Dev manager at T-Mobile
    Video Review
    Gives us quality testing solutions that we can use repeatedly

• "When you have hundreds and hundreds of databases everywhere, how do you do that without looking for keys? If you do it manually, you're going to need a lot of people. With the tool, I work with five people on my team. Right now, we're modeling 700 different databases, and we can do it very quickly because of the tool."
    • "The additional feature probably would be a data reservation that is more robust, where you can actually use it consecutively."
    • "They could make it easier to model databases, because right now it is really technical, so to train someone on it takes a while."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, only because it is complex. There are some things that still need to be worked out, but overall, it's a very good solid solution.
    QA Director at Sogeti UK
    We are able to create test data for specific business case scenarios; it's user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to implement test data management. It is a new implementation so there were some challenges. But so far, it has been good.

• "The most valuable feature is the Portal that comes with the tool. That helps make it look much more user-friendly for the users. Also its ease of use - even for developers it's not that complicated."
    • "They should make the Portal a little more user-friendly, make it even easier to configure things directly from the Portal."
    • "There were some issues with initial setup. It wasn't as smooth as we had thought. We ran into a network issue, a firewall issue, things like that. It wasn't something we could not fix. We worked with CA support and with the client's team to fix it. But there were issues, it took a lot of time to install and configure."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the important criteria are * ease of use * responsiveness of the technical support * forward-looking products. By that I mean, do they have a plan for the next three months, six months, year, not just make the product and then forgot about it. For this particular area, test data management, because I am involved in evaluating other companies' products as well, CA so far is the leader. I personally compare each feature for all the companies we evaluate. So far CA is the number one. There is still some improvement to be done, which CA is aware of. But I think I would…
    Senior Test Data Management Specialist at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Leaderboard
    What I find to be most valuable is its ability to do synthetic data creation

• "There is other stuff that they are working on right now, and that includes things like the vTDM or Virtual Test Data Management. That is where they have the ability to do test data clones. It is really neat because after doing some of that creation, or if you are going to do some subsetting, then you have a great looking database."
    • "What I find to be most valuable is its ability to do synthetic data creation. I love that because it has a lot of flexibility and you do not have to worry about one specific database or how you are going to manage all the data points."
    • "I have always gotten a call back within an hour from CA's technical support solutions and they are a wonderful team to work with."
    • "As the solution continues to evolve, the one thing I like about it is the API-friendly layers that they have added into the realm. So, I just would like to see more support around that and more usability."

What other advice do I have?

It is not an easy thing to give a 10 on a scale of one to 10 for ratings, but I have to say, I think the TDM solution is a 10. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: I think when you are trying to choose a vendor to work with on some of these solutions, you really have to decide if they are going to work with you as well. CA has been a great partner for us, because they are always there to work with us. It is not them having a solution that they are trying to cram down your throat, instead it is them trying to figure out what your needs are and building solutions around that.
    IT Manager at The Williams Companies, Inc.
    Video Review
    Allows us to find the right test data and to get required inputs into our API test

What is our primary use case?

One thing that we're using Test Data Manager for, is to build data marks so that we can test APIs of our application using users from every company within our application.

• "TDM allows us to find the right test data for the test that we need, and then it also allows us to get the required data inputs into our API test, so that we can do a full test."
    • "​The scalability is outstanding. We're able to scale it to any size of data that we want. We can do small data sets, we can do large data sets."

What other advice do I have?

If I were talking to my peer managers, I would recommend Test Data Manager - and I have, on multiple occasions - because it does allow the developer to have quick access to data that, normally, would take them hours or sometimes days to gather. I would say TDM, on a scale of one to 10, is probably in the eight category. It's a very solid solution. I think it can do more for us, and we're always trying to find new ways of using Test Data Manager.
      Lead Test Data Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Allows us to have quicker releases as well as speeds up our testing, but needs to get everything centralized into the portal

What is our primary use case?

As part of the DevOps function, what we are trying to do is create a subset in masked environments that is the basis for our development and testing. In the health care industry, we have a lot of concern with PII and PHI, so making sure that it is not exposed in non prod environments. Also, lessening the amount of disk space which is used for these environments, making it faster, speedier to market, etc. So far, it is performing well. We are still in our initial build out phase, but it is all coming together.

• "​The masking of data has really been key for us to be able to replace PII with fake values."
      • "Needs a better fit and finish."
      • "Get everything centralized into the portal."

What other advice do I have?

Feel free to ask questions. There are really helpful people that are willing to take the time to work with you and provide a solution. Think about it holistically. Do not think about it as a siloed approach to just solving one problem. Think about how it is going to fit into the larger DevOps organization. CA willingness to listen to customers has surprised me. Being part of this design partner program, I really feel like our concerns are being taken seriously and it is not just sales pitch stuff. What do you personally like to see in a vendor: That you are being taken seriously. That your…
      Solutions Architect at American Express
      Allows me to generate and manage synthetic data, but the interface could be better

What is our primary use case?

Generate synthetic test data. It has performed fine. It provides us the capabilities that we were anticipating.

• "It allows us to create a testing environment that is repeatable. And we can manage the data so that our testing becomes automated, everything from actually performing the testing to also evaluating the results."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is support. And obviously it comes down to: Do they offer the capabilities I'm interested in at a reasonable price, with good support. I rate it at seven out of 10 because of those three steps I have to go through. If they get rid of those, make it one step, and do these other things, I'd give it a solid nine. Nothing's perfect. For my use, based on the products out there that I have researched, this is the best one.
        Software Developer Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
        It saves us time from generating the same amount of data in real-time

What is our primary use case?

What we do is we generate data that we use to generate like socials. We can also virtualize the bureaus that the software calls out to, so we can get a good response back that we can simulate.

How has it helped my organization?

It is just easy to manage from what I have seen so far.

What is most valuable?

It saves us time from generating the same amount of data in real-time.

What needs improvement?

There are some known bugs that I have found, but I think those are known issues. I think those issues just need to be worked out.

Less than one year.

So far, so good.

So far it has worked for our…
        MS
        Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It scales very well to our network and we have a very large network

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring network devices using SNMP. It works very well.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Stability * The size of the company * The ability to respond to our needs and meet our needs. * The breadth of software that they have available for what we are looking to do.
        Engagement Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
        MSP
        Synthetic data generation is outstanding

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice it depends on what you need. Based on our experience we have seen this is a very good tool. Especially when you need to get the bulk data and make changes to it on the fly to do testing. This is the tool that you can use.
        Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        Can mask data according to your needs and statistical distribution

What is our primary use case?

Data masking, exactly what this tool is created for. We are going to use it for the incorporation into test or development environments. We are managing a lot of customer data, and the idea is to not have, or approve, or give a lot of permissions to read all this data. We need to mask them, but we still need to work with them, which means that developers need access to a lot of data. We have needed a tool where the data provided for developers should be easy and anonymized. This is probably the one and only tool with so many sophisticated features. We need those features for… more »

• "The whole process is done by functions which are compiled on the source environment itself. Normally, you take the data from the source, you manage them - for example, mask them - and then you load this masked data into the destination. With this solution, it's completely different. On the source environment, there are functions compiled inside the environment, which means they are amazingly fast and, on the source environment, data are masked already. So when you take them, you already take masked data from the source. So you can copy them, even with an unencrypted pipe."
        • "We are using a specific database. We are not using Oracle or SQL, Microsoft. We are using Teradata. There are some things that they don't have in their software. For example, when delivering data, they are not delivering them in the fastest possible way. There are some things which are faster."

What other advice do I have?

We did a proof of concept with TDM to see if the solution fits our needs. We did it for a couple of months, did some testing, did some analysis, and tried to determine if it fit our way of working. Now we are going to implement it in production. If there is a big amount of data to mask and you need to deliver it conveniently, pretty easily, there is no other solution. Configuration is easy. It's built slightly differently, the design is slightly different than any other tool, but the delivery of the masked data is much smoother than in any other solution. You don't need to use something like a…
        AVP Quality Assurance at GM Financial
        Video Review
        Gives you confidence in data that you're creating and keeps you out of the SOX arena, because there's no production data within that environment.

What other advice do I have?

I think from my synthetic generation, a lot of times generating synthetic data can be cumbersome. TDM, with some of the rules aspect of it, you can generate it and have your rules in place that you know your data's going to be very consistent. When we want a particular loan to come through with a particular credit score, we can generate the data. We can select and generate the data out of TDM that will create me a data file for my in-front script, through using DevTest. I also push the service virtualization record to respond to the request of the loan, hitting the credit bureau, returning a…
        Senior Specialist at Cox Automotive
        Video Review
        The data masking is a powerful aspect of the tool and I have found the best success in the data generation features.

What other advice do I have?

It’s not something that I would often give, but I do give this a perfect rating. We've been able to solve any of the data issues that we were having initially when we first brought it in, and it's expanded everything that we can do as we looked into the future right now of where we want to go with this. That includes its tie-ins for service virtualization; that includes the way that we can build out our environments in a way that we'd never considered before. It's just always a much more dynamic world that we can react a lot faster to, and attribute most all of that to Test Data Manager.
        Client Partner at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
        Video Review
        Provides a centralized view of the test data and how efficiently you can use it across business units.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product with a proof of concept for your organization. The product is very agile. It can fit into small and big organizations, so don't be afraid of that. The product has a lot of features; the way it has been, the product works, is the features. It can work for you as a smaller organization. It can work for a very large organization. Scalability is there. Just use it as a proof of concept and you'll see the power of the TDM. If we are able to get those – maybe it is there, and we just have to see it in my company – plugging in from all of those different sources, I think that will…
        Quality Assurance at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        With synthetic data generation, we can test applications with three or four times the production load. We would like to see it generate synthetic data for non-relational DBs.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, my personal requirements would be: the tools should be stable and there should be a knowledge repository for it. When you see the PPT presentation, it just gives you an introduction about the tool and it gives you the capabilities of the tool. To really get your hands dirty, you need an intense video or documentation to work on it. I think the more webinars you do, the better. If you can record the webinars, archive them, that would be great. If you could try to solve some more complex use cases in your demos, that would be great. Most companies give you a demo of new…
        IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Data masking, subsetting, and synthetic data generation cover our needs. They should have more than just desktop-based interfaces.
        Practice Leader - DevOps at CIBER
        We use it to assist our clients with data privacy and the regulatory recommendations.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is to perform a detailed evaluation. If only simple, straightforward, and small-scale test data management is needed, I don’t think a large solution such as CA TDM is necessary. To justify the cost of CA TDM, you need to have need for large-scale test data management.
        Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
        Provides stable automation tests. Generates and scrubs test data.

What other advice do I have?

When you do your implementation, find an experienced implementer to get it set up and get it done right the first time.
        COE Consultant Test at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        It has removed the dependency of making production data available for development and testing activities.
        Leaderboard
        We have moved data creation from manual or limited and costly automated processes to a set of weekly data builds and an On-Demand offering capable of delivering versatile data.

What other advice do I have?

Our biggest wins in implementing this tool was to start out by working with a singular team and find some data delivery wins. After that internal proof of concept was realized, expansion to other teams became much more simple.
        Sr Test Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
        Video Review
        In the past, creating test data was a manual process. We now use CA TDM to capture our data model, and then create data on demand.

What other advice do I have?

Important criteria when selecting a vendor: we want to work with somebody that's going to help us solve the problem that we're trying to solve. Do it in a way that works for our enterprise. We don't want to do something that only works for one team or one solution, something that's scalable. We have a lot of different technologies in our organization, so we need something that will work with all of them. We need a partner that will help us. This was something new to us, and so we needed somebody to help us dive in, figure out how to do it in our world, and translate that out and help us be…
        Practice Manager (Testing Services) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Video Review
        Includes basic services which allow you to mask data and create synthetic data. It also includes test matching which accelerates test cycles and allows automation to happen.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: no one's perfect. You got to go in the top quartile of it, so you're probably eight upwards. I think in terms of test data management solutions, it's the best out there. I think that the way that tool is going it's kind of moving into other areas in TCO and kind of the integration with SV, it's a massive thing for us. I think the recommendation is that absolutely this is kind of the best in breed. As well as buying the tool, it would be a mistake to not also invest in kind of understanding how the tool integrates into the organization and kind of how to bring that into the kind of the…