Cisco Catalyst Switches Overview

Cisco Catalyst Switches is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Center Networking tools. It is most often compared to HPE ProCurve: Cisco Catalyst Switches vs HPE ProCurve

What is Cisco Catalyst Switches?
Web-based CRM that manages events, sales, marketing campaigns & contacts, offers customer history, case management, email integration.

Cisco Catalyst Switches is also known as Cisco Catalyst, Catalyst.

Cisco Catalyst Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Catalyst Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco Catalyst Switches Customers
Afni, Anilana Hotels and Resorts, Baylor Scott & White Health, Beachbody, Bellevue, Del Papa Distributing, Explorer Pipeline, Mindtree, Omaha World Herald, Radio 538, Sony Corporation, Telecom Italia, Telenor Arena
Cisco Catalyst Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Catalyst Switches pricing:
  • "The solution is probably the most expensive, but users who want the best need to pay the premium."
  • "The cost of a license before COVID and before the lockdown was approximately three lakh 70,000 in Indian Rupees. After this COVID situation, the cost has gone down to two lakh 46,000 rupees."
  • "The price of Cisco equipment is very expensive and you have to pay extra for support."
  • "Cisco products are not that cheap."

RK
System Administrator at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
This gives us control of our throughput traffic but it comes with mandatory options that increase cost

What is our primary use case?

Our installation is totally on-premises. It is a backend solution supporting the entire campus. This is used as a three-tier network for our overall networking. We use it as a call switch at the backend, it is also used in the distribution, and it is used on the server farm switches. We use them for these three different kinds of purposes in the data center at the same time. All these servers can function on the network through these switches.

• "The ability to configure throughput is very flexible and improved the performance of our systems."
  • "The availability of resources for learning about the product and doing evaluation of any issues is excellent."
  • "Cisco forces end-users to accept billing for some capabilities or services that they may not want."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give others who are not using this Cisco solution is that maintenance is not a big deal for Cisco products. They deliver on customer support if it is even necessary at all. The Cisco team is always available to provide you the facts about the root cause of any problem or to answer any question. Because they have an excellent knowledge base, you can even research things and find solutions on your own. Whether you need this kind of dependability will have to do with your use case. If you are working on some kind of critical industry or environment, you can trust Cisco to be a…
VA
Senior Network Engineer at High Frequency Trading
Easy to use, provides good network visibility, and supports multicast routing

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for LAN connectivity. We also use it for routing capabilities. It can become an L3 switch.

• "They have a robust monitoring system."
  • "The biggest issue we are having is with bugs and memory loss, which occurs when developing the IOS."

What other advice do I have?

Our environment includes a heterogeneous network. It's not all in the same place geographically, where some of the servers are in India, some are in Delhi, some are in Mumbai, London, Chicago, and Brazil. The monitoring of the device is in the day-to-day operations. We don't have a lot of traffic, we run simulations. We need high-capacity servers. In terms of network devices, we don't need much. When we need better switches or better devices, we have Nexus. They are used so that there is the lowest latency possible and maximum throughput. We have point-to-point lead lines to connect to those…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Engineer & Technical Instructor at Improtech
Excellent for covering business needs, relatively easy to deploy, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We don't personally use the switches; we provide services to our clients, including implementing the switches for them.

• "We have dealt with Cisco's technical support in the past. They were especially helpful and very polite. They are always there if we need them and their insights are always excellent. I would say that we have been satisfied with the level of support we've gotten so far."
  • "The user interface needs improvement. Meraki has a much nicer UI. Cisco could learn a lot by looking at them. It might make them a bit more user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Last year, we were Cisco partners, but something happened and Cisco made some changes to its partnership requirements. Right now, we are working on re-establishing the partnership with Cisco. We'd like to be partners again. We are planning to be a distributor. For the moment, however, now that we are waiting on the partnership, we're more of an integrator. We have deployed on-premises mostly and also a hybrid version sometimes. It depends on what the customer wants and what fits best for their needs. It also depends on the model that you are talking about. On the Catalyst switches, as far as I…
AA
IT Manager at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, reliable, and it is easy to find trained engineers

What is our primary use case?

I design, implement, and troubleshoot networks that use Cisco switches. I am involved in every part of the design, including wireless.

• "The biggest advantage of having this solution is that it is easy to find engineers, and they are cheaper than hiring HP engineers."
  • "I would like to see better compatibility between Cisco and other vendors."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to design the system well before deploying it. You have to consider all of the aspects and all of the options. Always beware. If there is a 1% chance of failure then consider it to be a 90% failure rate because when it fails, you will have options. Always have a plan A, B, C, and D. In my experience, sometimes all of the plans will fail, and sometimes the first one succeeds. I can't give them a perfect market but they undeniably are of good quality. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
XS
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Extremely stable and very high quality with pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the switching capabilities.

• "The quality of a Cisco switch is very high. They are extremely stable."
  • "Cisco should work to lower its costs. It's quite expensive right now."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer. Cisco tries to move clients over to their own ecosystem so that they are only using Cisco from end-to-end. The solution is very good for enterprises, however, it might be a bit much for a small company that may only need one switch. If the costs are not a concern for an organization, I would recommend the product. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been very happy with the stability on offer, however, the pricing isn't the greatest and the licensing is confusing.
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reliable and scalable with lots of great features

What is our primary use case?

We're using it as basic switches - mainly VLANs and SPB, The main focus is actually for just VLANs and VLAN switching, and that's it.

• "Technical support is very responsive and helpful."
  • "Pricing mainly is the only issue."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We deal with a lot of Cisco products. We use maybe 20 or so Cisco switches. We have an old 2960-X and a 2960 Plus. We also have three 9300 switches, which are the newer model. I would advise other users to plan for a larger network than you currently need. For example, if you need 20 ports on a switch and you're ordering this equipment. order a 48 port one, as you'll find that you quickly consume the 20 ports and you need upgrades of two, three, four, five, six. You'll need upgrades quickly and you'll find yourself ordering another switch to replace this one…
Network & Security Specialist at Fonicom
Extremely reliable and high quality technology with easy maintenance

• "In terms of technology, Cisco is the leader in everything. I'd rather buy a second-hand Cisco switch than a brand new switch from a competitor. They're that reliable and resilient."
  • "Out of the competition, Cisco switches are easily the most expensive."

What other advice do I have?

The company I work with is a Premium Cisco partner. I've even based my career around Cisco vendors. The solution is on a Private Cloud that we are renting (including equipment and the data center space and the LANs). We have obtained everything from Alban India, and our customers are mostly on our product site with the cloud. The customers include various financial companies, payment providers, etc. We're a systems integrator. I would easily rate the solution ten out of ten. It's really great. In terms of advice for other companies, I'd say that whether Cisco would work for them or not depends…
Vice President, Technology, Research & Development at Thales
Reseller
A pretty good scalable and stable product

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and design authority. I define what we need and in which direction we are going to look. We then do some detailed investigation, get reports back, and make a decision. We are working on air traffic control systems. We use this solution for data centers and remote clients.

• "It is a pretty good product. I don't see a problem with this product. Cisco Catalyst Switches fit the best for the type of systems that we deploy. Our customers usually are happy with Cisco equipment. Many partners and third parties have ordered this solution."
  • "Its initial setup can be simpler, and it would be great if we can work with a reference architecture. Cisco has the capability to provide a very integrated solution. They have DNA Center, Cisco ISE, Cisco Prime, FMC, and AMP. We are looking at all the products, but it is rather complex to pick out the right licenses that you need. The license structure is a bit complex. Sometimes, there is an overlap in products, which does not really make sense. For example, you have DNA Center and Cisco Prime, and it is not really clear what you would use for what exactly. There is a lot of information on the Cisco website, but it takes a while to go through all this and look at the presentations that are available from Cisco Live. These presentations are appreciated, but sometimes, they are a bit too much like bullet points. You don't exactly know what's behind it, so you have to do a second guess. Overall, there is a lot of information but not always to the point."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches an eight out of ten.
See 48 more Cisco Catalyst Switches Reviews
Download our free Cisco Catalyst Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.