Cisco Wireless WAN Overview

Cisco Wireless WAN is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless WAN tools. It is most often compared to Cambium: Cisco Wireless WAN vs Cambium

What is Cisco Wireless WAN?
Cisco Wireless WAN can help your business expand rapidly while making critical applications and services available when and where needed. Your business can run applications such as interactive video and TelePresence on a primary 4G LTE WWAN link, which is 10 to 15 times faster and 5 times lower latency than 3G.
Cisco Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Wireless WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco Wireless WAN Customers
Aegean Motorway, Baylor Scott & White Health, Beachbody, Bellevue, Brunel University London, Bucks County Intermediate Unit , Chartwell School, Children's Hospital Colorado, Cisco Live Milan, City of Biel, City of Mississauga, Dundee Precious Metals, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Erickson Living, Goldcorp, Great Ormond Street Hospital, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS)
Cisco Wireless WAN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Wireless WAN pricing:
  • "This is a very expensive solution but there are no additional costs."
  • "Cisco is more expensive than other solutions."
  • "It was a one time fee and there are no costs in addition to this."

Cisco Wireless WAN Reviews

Dave Orr
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Oct 30, 2019
Enables you to control everything, every technology within the wireless arena and has good granularity

What is our primary use case?

I've been designing wireless solutions and have been a solutions provider for over 20 years. I spec the solution based on the client's requirements and use whichever vendor device is affordable, and fits the purpose of the company's requirements. We mainly use the WLC 5000 series. We use other Cisco products, mainly geared to smaller markets. I use Cisco and Dell devices, but mostly Cisco, as in the switching arena. I'm most familiar with cloud management and wireless Cisco solutions such as the WMM. I'm not familiar with the Cisco CSR or Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000V. In terms of WLAN… more »

• "Granularity of standardization and technical controls."
  • "Include more managing features within the product, rather than having to purchase them as extras."

What other advice do I have?

I would want people to be aware that Cisco Wireless WAN is a top-end product and solution. Their portfolio is superb. They have major experience and maturity and are very much in tune with their field. I work in warehousing facilities. Like most things, though, there are pros and cons. Cisco is the top end, commercially. It's going to be double the price, and I mean double the price, of everything else. Other products that I use, and I have cross-referenced the price point with many solutions for the requirements of our enterprise customers, are half the price. They are a good product. Do they…
reviewer1179243
Network Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Oct 29, 2019
A stable device providing good coverage but it needs centralized management

What is our primary use case?

I'm a user, administrator, and implementer of Wireless WAN. I work in a large company and we use the system throughout our campus sites. We mainly use version 5508 and for smaller sites, we use 2504. There are more recent products but I don't have experience with them. We currently have 50,000 people using the Cisco Wireless WAN and have no plans for further expansion.

• "Mobile anchoring and graphic user interface are helpful features."
  • "There is no centralized management for multiple wireless control deployments or a user tracking feature."

What other advice do I have?

We use dedicated wireless control for our campuses in a redundant topology, active/passive. We use both Flex connect and local, essentially switched networks. Our company uses physical machines, not cloud-based wireless controls. I would rate it a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RagidKader
Lead Solutions Architect at a university with 10,001+ employees
Nov 5, 2019
It is quite expensive, but the manageability is simple and it is easy to work on

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for streaming access to the personal devices of students and staff for guest wifi and connection. So we provide corporate access to devices. They use it for media streaming, for social networking, for learning solutions. Most people don't connect through land cable anymore - they all go for wireless options.

• "I like that it has integrated the cost of our network access."
  • "The technical scalability is easy, but the license scalability is quite tricky."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to understand the use case properly before deploying any solution. If you don't have a complex use case and if you can't afford it, don't get Cisco. But if you have a complex use case with a high frequency, high bandwidth of data usage in a wireless network, Cisco is the right product for you. The licensing strategy and the pricing could be improved, but it is a good solution. I rate it a seven out of ten.
Irshad Mehmood
Technical Project Manager at Saudi Telecom Company
Oct 29, 2019
Good documentation, stable, and integrates easily

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is supplying Wi-Fi to public users. We have been using this solution for 3D uploading and providing resources for users. Our goal is to offload traffic from mobile devices while people are at work. We have been installing this solution in malls, the university, and other buildings. We have deployed this solution across the whole country.

• "This is the most stable product in the market."
  • "The reporting feature needs improvement, especially adding information with regards to availability uptime."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer958677
Network Operations Supervisor at a government with 10,001+ employees
Oct 28, 2019
The setup is easy and has good integration between solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Wireless WAN for normal campus access, for voice roaming, regular setup, some employee networks, network using portals, and simple registrations.

• "The initial setup was really easy and straightforward."
  • "The integration support technology should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The reason why we chose Cisco over another solution, is that Cisco is very strong here in the Aruba and Ruckus region. We have a vendor specifically in Saudi Arabia. What I like about this solution, is that it is always available and it's up to me to integrate, something called the DNA. I like the features that Cisco provides and it a solution that's easy to work on. I like the integration between Cisco and all the other Cisco products when it comes to network roaming, the DNA. So this is the integration that I'm looking forward to integrating, Cisco wireless with the DNA. On a scale from one…
Suresh Bidwai
Manager - IT at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 6, 2020
Easy to set up and configure, and the technical support is nice

What is our primary use case?

This product makes up part of our wireless network infrastructure.

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of configuration."
  • "The prices are high and should be reduced in order to be more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

Whatever they have in this product is already the best in the market, and I recommend it for people who can afford it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
MuhammadNaeem
Network & Information Security Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 26, 2019
A stable solution with good technical support, but it needs more physical ports

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide wireless service in our hospitals.

• "This stability is one of the major reasons to stick with this product."
  • "The worst thing about the Cisco controllers is that they only have two ports."

What other advice do I have?

Wireless solutions are not something that you need to change very often. We have older models installed and they are still working fine. Changing the entire environment involves a lot of money and a lot of effort. My advice to anybody who is considering this type of solution is to first look at your ecosystem and then choose the product. Don't just choose one without looking at what other types of products, such as switches, you already have. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
JaromirLikavec
Senior Network Engineer, IT Manager at Fraunhofer IGD
Oct 21, 2019
Easy deployment and management with a user-friendly interface

• "The ease of management is the solution's most valuable feature."
  • "Pricing is very high with Cisco products. It's something that many people complain about. They should work to make it more affordable."

What other advice do I have?

Our clients are mostly enterprise-level companies. Our first test of the solution will be to see how the new features are implemented in Wi-Fi 6. The new access point is smaller than the previous one, and I find it's very good, very pleasant, because the 3700, and especially the 3800 were very, very weak. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If the pricing was better, I'd rate it ten out of ten.
See 3 more Cisco Wireless WAN Reviews
Product Categories
Wireless WAN
Download our free Cisco Wireless WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.