Fortinet FortiGate Overview

Fortinet FortiGate is the #1 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Cisco ASA Firewall: Fortinet FortiGate vs Cisco ASA Firewall

What is Fortinet FortiGate?

The FortiGate family of NG firewalls provides proven protection with unmatched performance across the network, from internal segments, to data centers, to cloud environments. FortiGates are available in a large range of sizes and form factors and are key components of the Fortinet Security Fabric, which enables immediate, intelligent defense against known and new threats throughout the entire network.

Fortinet FortiGate is also known as FortiGate 60b, FortiGate 60c, FortiGate 80c, FortiGate 50b, FortiGate 200b, FortiGate 110c, FortiGate.

Fortinet FortiGate Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiGate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Fortinet FortiGate Customers

Pittsburgh Steelers, LUSH Cosmetics, NASDAQ, Verizon, Arizona State University, Levi Strauss & Co.

Whitepaper and case studies here

Fortinet FortiGate Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DW
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A solution that impresses our customers and saves them money in the long run

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is as an SMB boundary firewall, and we now use their Security Fabric.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a quality product with ok support, and it is better than the competition we've tried.

What is most valuable?

Security Fabric makes VLANs a breeze. It impresses customers, as well as saves them money over the long run when comparing apples to apples.

What needs improvement?

FortiOS is not simple. Too many people think it should be simple to use, but the complexity of the product makes that impossible.

Seventeen years.

The support for this solution is ok.
PK
User at GOldair Handling
Has a friendly GUI and CLI to access its many features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our firewall, Application Control, QoS, IPSec, and SSL VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has a very friendly GUI and CLI as compared to other vendors.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most valuable are the SSL VPN and the user Portal.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved with active directory integration and better handling in IPsec and GRE Tunnels. There are not enough recent online materials to assist in integration with Cisco for VPN, GRE, and IPSec.

Our experience with this solution is that it is stable and reliable.

Which other

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fernando Neto
Network Analyst at Aloo Telecom
A stable product that allows us to offer several services in a single box

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is the provision of services to our customers, the end users.

• "We have been able to offer several services to customers in a single box."
  • "I use the FortiGate 60D model and realized the 300Mbps bandwidth limitation. Because it is a product that offers many services, I think it could have greater bandwidth capacity."

What other advice do I have?

There is a VOIP feature that by default is enabled on the Fortigate 60D. This greatly increases the CPU usage, which causes bad behavior in the equipment. This feature should be disabled and if necessary, the user can re-enable it. The FortiGate 60D is a fantastic piece of equipment.
Vineeth Babu P
IT System Administrator at emirates hospital
Enables us to control our internet usage with the web filter for application features

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate mainly for web filtering and site-to-site VPN connectivity. We establish filters based on the type of application for filtering purposes.

• "The most important features with FortiGate are the web filter and application controls. We can control our internet usage and use the web filter for application purposes."
  • "Some features of Fortinet FortiGate are actually fee enabled that are inconvenient for deploying in production. Other issues relate to isolation with Cisco products and your server."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of rating, Fortinet FortiGate will come in with an eight out of ten. We are satisfied with the product overall.
DA
Directorate at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
A user friendly solution that helps protect us against spam

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to protect ourselves against email spam.

• "It is user friendly, and has all the features you need."
  • "I feel that the reporting needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing this solution, you have to study your network first, and then consider your needs. Decide what features you need and what features you don't need. It is important to know what is required from the device because they come in very different models. There are different features and each feature costs money, so you need to be prepared so that you can optimize your cost. You don't want to end up buying something that you won't use in the future. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
MM
Assistant Manager IT at Urmi Garments Ltd
Excellent Bandwith Agility from Webstie to Website

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is providing cybersecurity applications to internet (IT) clients throughout India.

• "We are very happy with the general bandwidth agility we have seen from one website to another website."
  • "I have to say that the initial setup was complex. The deployment took a few days to get set up. Initially, we were using an IPVanish. We switched to this tool since we thought it would be easier. But it turns out it wasn't easier to set up and run."

What other advice do I have?

Maintenance only requires two or three people. At the moment both a Senior Executive and an IT manager are in charge of maintenance. Besides wanting to see a faster connection speed I would like to see the expanded bandwidth, IP, and proprietary net settings feature included within the tool. I rate this product an 8 out of 10.
Gamal Al-Hamzah
Network Engineer at LinkTech
Improves internet speed and improves network security

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of Fortinet products. We use FortiGate for Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) support. This is the most important reason that we use Fortinet FortiGate.

• "The most important features of Fortinet FortiGate are the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) and firewall control applications."
  • "The main aspect of FortiGate that could be improved is load balancing. Our management team does not want to buy another appliance for only load balancing."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten because I don't know all of the features of the platform personally.
NA
Manager systems at HOCL
Offers good threat protection and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate as a firewall. On some particular days, when our network traffic is very busy, we use a separate debit line. We need additional monitoring to know whether our production was cut by peak rates or not.

• "Fortinet FortiGate is scalable for our users. Right now, we have almost 70 users. We do not have any plan to increase our usage of FortiGate. For maintaining the firewall solution, one staff member is enough."
  • "One issue that I have had is that sometimes I need to monitor the traffic, so I need to filter it according to the user and which user is using it the most. I experience a bottleneck most of the time, particularly at the peak time when the number of contracts and users are at maximum."

What other advice do I have?

I cannot find anything lacking in Fortinet FortiGate. I would rate it a nine out of ten. We advise other users to go for Fortinet. There is a back-up service that needs to be included with the firewall support. I have the requirement to filter what information goes to the user to see which user require the most bandwidth and other resources. When there is a disconnection, that should be shown somewhere in the reports.
VeerSharma
Branch Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Effective bandwidth management saves us money and keeps our customers happy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to manage bandwidth for our customers. This is done by setting the appropriate firewall rules and policies.

• "This solution made it very easy to manage our bandwidth."
  • "Compared to some other products, the DLP is not at par for the moment."

What other advice do I have?

We look for a couple of things when selecting a vendor or product. First, we look at the user interface and figure out whether it is easy to manage. We also consider the price because we do not want to overpay. That said, price is not our number one priority; user manageability is. We have been using a pretty wide range of products. We have used models such as the Fortinet FortiGate-30E, 51E, 90D, and 200D. They are all pretty good at doing the job that they are configured for. Obviously, the firewall sizing has to be done right, but if the product sizing is done correctly then they will never…
DY
Principal Mining Consultant at senhwabio
Auto-scans for viruses, worms, and malware

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate out of fear for malware on the internet, to protect our users from malware. We also use FortiGate to prevent connections to the internet.

• "The features that prevent internet connections, the filtering are the most valuable because we did not have any internet protection before."
  • "Fortinet could improve the windows opener or the virtual IP solutions for opening windows. The virtual IP settings need improvement as firewalls are trending in new development directions."

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable and affordable product. I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an 8/10. So far, Fortinet FortiGate has been enough for our business requirements.
Emmanuel  Salamat
Solutions Architect at UAS
Reseller
Optimizes security on the network and protects the company from attacks from outside

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate as the firewall for our networks and as a security device. Fortinet FortiGate is used in our organization for: * making policies * security profiles * identity management * blocking applications on websites * making objects * future groups * user management * network reports * data analytics * other stuff FortiGate is not just a security solution, but also a network solution, because it can do SD-WAN which provides innovation to security.

• "Fortinet FortiGate is a security device. It can optimize security on the networks of a company. It actually protects the company from attacks from outside. With FortiGate, you can categorize the users. You can create a group of users that can access all of the websites for their work. You can limit other users' access."
  • "Scalability is one of the disadvantages. When it comes to scalability, you have to actually change the box. If you want to upgrade it, you need to actually change the existing box and probably you take the system off to other sites."

What other advice do I have?

The Fortinet FortiGate solution has to have a system-wide update for improvements. First and foremost, you need to have a patch. You have to continually improve FortiGate by having continuously updated patches applied. Then always check for the admin reports from Fortinet that the patch was applied. When it comes to the features of this device, I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.
Amgad Soliman
Senior System & Security Administrator at Icon
Offers side-to-Side VPN Support for Secure Networking

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate 100E for a VPN. We also use the solution for word filtering. These are our primary business requirements.

• "Our project needs to link two sides through the internet. One of these was in Cairo and the other in another city. We used FortiGate as the integrating solution between the two locations, i.e. the Fortinet 30E & 100E."
  • "Fortinet needs more memory to save the log files. We need it to save the logs on the hardware and not in the cloud. I know this feature is available in FortiCloud, but if we need this log locally, it is not available."

What other advice do I have?

If anyone asks me for my experience with Fortinet solutions, I would recommend FortiGate, especially if they need to use it for security. I would recommend the FortiGate series for integration with any hardware or software product. I am very satisfied with Fortinet. I would rate it a 9 out of 10 overall.
NC
Director, CFO at IT Green Public Company Ltd.
Securely Protects Databases in Business Operations

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate has many use cases: firewall, security, and wifi controller. We use the solution for our project's internet gateway.

• "Fortigate is very scalable to serve our customers' needs. We have scaled already from fifty to more than a hundred instances of Fortinet FortiGate. Around 20 staff are required for deployment and maintenance, mostly engineers."
  • "Fortinet already improved FortiGate, but in the current market, many brands of security devices have improved together. Fortinet still needs to catch up with market standards. Fortinet is lacking in features in comparison to competitors."

What other advice do I have?

The policy for integration and for configuring Fortinet FortiGate should be friendlier than in the version we are using now. Because Fortinet has been in the market for a really long time, and we are very experienced with Fortinet products, I would rate FortiGate with an eight or nine out of 10. I would rate it this score because of the experience that Fortinet has as a market leader for such a long time.
Sherif Abouelezz
Head of IT at CGP
Next-Generation Advanced Firewall Protection

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of Fortinet FortiGate is for a firewall. I use it as the firewall system and protection from spam. I mainly use Fortinet FortiGate for protection and security.

• "Mainly the FortiGate reporting system is very good. It guides us through all the expectations of security. Fortinet provides us all that we need for security. Also, Fortinet FortiGate is a next-generation firewall. It is much more advanced than others."

What other advice do I have?

We may increase our usage of Fortinet next year. I would recommend to anyone to buy Fortinet FortiGate. I would rate the product ten out of ten.
    Mohamed Abdullah
    Senior Security Engineer at crystal networks
    Enables us to load balance more than six internet lines but they should develop better visibility, monitoring, and reporting

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Customers want to load balance more than six internet lines. FortiGate is the only solution that can accomplish this.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring and the visibility, in this proxy, is very weak. I would for them to develop better visibility, monitoring, and reporting.

Three to five years.

It's not always stable. When there's heavy traffic, we get hardware problems.

Their technical support is very good.

The configuration was very easy. I didn't have any problems with it.  It depends…
    Derrick Slaton
    IT Specialist 3 at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Enables us to to set up remote systems and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our firewall.

• "The ability to set up remote systems is the most valuable feature."
    • "They should improve the interface to make it more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate is very good if you're thinking of expanding where you have remote offices, then it's a good solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    RO
    IT Manager at Soporte Antivirus Ltda
    Enables us to check our sites and emails for threats

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for checking sites, threat prevention, ransomware, and email check.

How has it helped my organization?

We can use our devices to check all of the perimeters. It secures email websites.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their technical support.

The stability is good.

It's scalable. We have 22 users.

We were previously using Sophos XG.

The initial setup was easy. The implementation took around two hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would…
    KS
    ICT Administrator at a mining and metals company with 11-50 employees
    Enables us to bring security into compliance with our policies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our company firewall. We use it for intrusion prevention and anti-virus.

• "I really like the captive portal feature for our guest network. It has nice VLAN features in terms of separating our network. The anti-virus is also good."
    • "Some of the filtering is not robust, you can escape it with a VPN. Some of the users bypass some of the filters. It catches some but it also misses some, that area could be improved. It's functioning reasonably but there's room for improvement in that area."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to learn the product. You have to get to know the product, don't just look at it from outside. Get to know the product, the ins and outs and see how you can actually use it for your scenario. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
    CB
    System Administrator at Udenar
    A complete solution, but it is very expensive compared with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate for edge protection by avoiding attacks to the servers of the institution, also, by protecting the LAN network.

How has it helped my organization?

Having FortiGate allowed for easy management of the network, protection from threats by having a very intuitive administration console.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for me apart from the administrator is the UTM module because it protects the equipment of the entity in a very efficient way.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate is a complete solution, but it is very expensive compared with other solutions. Then actually, we are analyzing other solutions.

Neal Tipton
    Consultant at MT Pockets Computers
    The reporting that automatically comes off the unit makes it much easier to meet compliance standards

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for intrusion detection and prevention.

• "We use a southern institution that's audited for IT security and the reporting that automatically comes off the unit makes it much easier to meet compliance standards and makes it easier as far as the amount of time that has to be spent to compile that information. If you get your reporting set up correctly when you initially set it up, you just select the one you want and hit print. The auditing trail on it is the best feature."
    • "They should make the rule sets more understandable for the end user. When you're trying to explain to somebody how a computer network is secured, sometimes it's difficult for an end user or customer to understand. If there was a way to make the terminology more accessible to the end user, the set up could be easier. They should translate the technical jargon to an easily relatable and understandable conversation for the end user, the customer, that would be brilliant. Particularly in an environment where the IT structure is audited regularly, there's always pressure from the auditor to up the standards and up the security and you get your USCERT's that come out and there's a warning about this and the customer will want to lock out so much and when you apply it they run into issue where they can't search the internet or print to their remote office. Of course they can't print to your remote office, they just locked it up. They should make the language more understandable for the customer. If there's a product out there that made the jargon understandable to John Q. Public, I would buy that."

What other advice do I have?

There's a setup guide on the Fortigate website that is a video that is far better than the written manual that is provided. If you've set up other products before, that may get you through, but the training on their website was far more useful to me than the user manual. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    it_user678567
    Solutions Architect at Focus
    Reseller
    It is a good product from a price perspective versus functionality

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is for border protection for connectivity out onto the Internet. This product has performed exceptionally well.

• "It is easy to use and performs very well."
    • "There could be more integration between the logging and analytical platforms to make it more seamless and integrated."

What other advice do I have?

If someone is considering this solution, they should do their homework to learn about the product. A user should make sure they compare between a short list of products. The choice should be made after considering price, support, ease of access, and evaluation of integration with other products the organization still uses. Due diligence is the key to integrating a solution.
    JM
    PTL Network Administrator at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A cost-efficient product that is very user friendly

What is our primary use case?

It's a firewall that secures our internal network. I have been using it since 2013, and I find that most of the features are advanced, and very user-friendly.

• "It's a firewall that secures our internal network. I have been using it since 2013, and I find that most of the features are advanced, and very user friendly."
    • "The web-cache feature which was previously on the FortiGate device, but was deleted with the recent upgrade should be returned. It was a very valuable feature for us."

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a new solution, I suggest seriously researching the pricing and the features. It must be a solution that fits your particular requirements and specifications. I think FortiGate is more reliable, consistent, and easy to learn. It is robust and more secure than other solutions on the market.
    EB
    Engineering Manager with 1-10 employees
    Prevents outside attacks to our network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for firewall protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides security purposes, and it makes our network safe from outside attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the bundled subscription, which is IPS, TV and web filtering. I also like the application control.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to improve more in order to be a competitor with the leaders of the field.

It is stable, there is not too much downtime.

They need to be competitive with other solutions.
    VictorCastillo
    IT Management with 11-50 employees
    An inexpensive answer for firewall protection

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this product as a firewall protection.

How has it helped my organization?

With Fortigate, I find fewer attacks. The console easily alerts me about possible attacks so I can prevent the malware attacks.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The UTM filtering control could be improved.

More than five years.

I do not have problems with the stability of the solution. It works well.

We do not use a lot of tech support. It is not readily available in our area.

The price of the solution is not…
    OC
    CTO at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Valuable option for security although unstable at times

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our security capabilities.

What is most valuable?

We find the most valuable aspect of this solution is the price. It is affordable and cheaper than other firewalls.

Three to five years.

There were quite a few problems with the stability of the system but now it's working fine. I think it had to do with the complex environment, not because of the product itself.

It is an inexpensive solution.
    Shahab Razak
    Network Architect at Finastra
    The option of using the GUI and CLI interchangeably is invaluable

What is our primary use case?

Needed to get off of EOL Cisco ASA platform and we evaluated Checkpoint, Palo Alto, and FortiGate 1500 and 3000D. We chose FortiGate, FortiAnalyzer, and FortiManager as our solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Better visibility into traffic patterns Lightening fast troubleshooting and reduced management complexity overall.

What is most valuable?

Live traffic viewer Packet capture, and The option of using GUI and CLI interchangeably.   FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer helps us manage multiply firewalls.

What needs improvement?

The speed of synchronization between FortiManager and FortiGate could be improved, but that could be because we host them in Azure.

Still implementing.
    Sabyasachi Sen
    General Manager with 51-200 employees
    I am "headache free" now that I don't have to categorize all the websites and that security has been pre-categorized. The tech support needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is using it as a key net and as a firewall.

• "I am "headache free" that I don't have to categorize all the websites and that security has been pre categorized by the people, and that the services are getting updated. At least one part of my problem is over."
    • "A couple of things I've seen that need improvement, especially in terms of a hard coding. The driver-level active moment really is out-of-the-box and we have to have contact the customer support and sometimes it is difficult to resolve."

What other advice do I have?

As I said, that at least one part I am "headache free" that I don't have to categorize all the websites and that security has been pre categorized by the people, and that the services are getting updated. At least one part of my problem is over.
    Ahmed Konsowa
    Senior Pre-Sales Engineer (Commercial Sector) at SEE "Systems Engineering of Egypt"
    Reseller
    It has very easy management and an amazing ETM configuration.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is as a data center. It performs very well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has very easy management and an amazing ETM configuration.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more advanced developments of a wireless controller in the future.

More than five years.

I think the product is stable. It is amazing.

It is amazing, but sometimes there are issues with Fortinet Integrations. But, I know they are now trying to rectify the problem.

We have good technical support from the vendor.

How was

Yousef Altaj
    Tech Manager at Global tec
    Reseller
    It is a reasonably priced solution for this type of product. It enables productivity of our organization to go smoothly.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this for the Security Fabric feature. It works together with other Fortinet products like FortiWeb and FortiMail, as well as with Amazon products. There is a lot of integration.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables our organization to become more productive. Also, it protects our NEtWare from viruses and malware.

What needs improvement?

I think the only issue that needs improvement is the interface.

More than five years.

It is a very stable product.

Sometimes the solution is not scalable.

Our experience with…
    DL
    Network and Security Manager at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    Review about Fortinet FortiGate

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is as a firewall protection for our company.

• "The response is very quick and they can visually resolve our problems in a short period."
    • "The room for improvement is about the global delivery time period. Usually I need to wait for almost one month to deliver it overseas. So if you can shorten the deliver time it'd be great."

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to contact, the conversation is easy and it provides us all the features on point. It is also reliable.
    KS
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The most valuable feature is the policy routing and application control

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our small company. It is basically for users on the LAN-side. So, it is just for browsing mostly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the policy routing and application control. In addition, the firewall will act as a call-switch. So, the performance within the LAN is good.

What needs improvement?

The UI could be improved.

More than five years.

We sometimes wait 30 to 40 minutes to get a tech engineer. But, then they are pretty good. Whenever I call for a problem they will assist me and correct me and they will fix up the call. Only one they are sure we have solved the problem will they disconnect from the call.…
    Abdy Sanjur
    Gerente de Seguridad Informática at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The main benefit is the grouping of our security monitoring. The technical support is great.

What is our primary use case?

I use Fortinet Fortigate. First of all, I use them as perimeter firewall. Secondly, I use it for a data center firewall for internal segmentation.

• "The technical support is great."
    • "The main benefit is the grouping of our security monitoring."
    • "It does not have key authentication for admin access."
    IY
    Assistant Manager (Infrastructure) at SISTIC
    User
    It has improved the security posture and visibility of our traffic

What is our primary use case?

E-commerce environment, enterprise data center.

• "Easy to use support and licensing portal as well as activation process."
    • "I would like to see improvements made to the dashboard and UI, as well as to the reporting."

What other advice do I have?

I found that the memory usage for the Fortigate firewall are relatively higher than other firewall brand when compared to same traffic volume. It might be the scan engine do their job well or the scan engine not well tuning. If there is a details information about this would be good.
    Robert Kaczorowski
    System Administrator at HAMMOND LUMBER COMPANY
    Their proxy-based inspection is responsive and secure

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate as our firewall and Layer 3 switch. Together, they connect all our locations for internal and external access with an MPLS as the primary connection and a backup VPN over a secondary DSL/Cable ISP.

• "The CLI and GUI do a good job of putting a lot at your fingertips."
    • "Their proxy-based inspection is responsive and secure."
    • "It could use more templates for third-party site-to-site VPN setups other than FortiGate and Cisco."

What other advice do I have?

Their proxy-based inspection is responsive and secure.
    Ramon  Henriquez
    Director TICs at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    We can detect any attack of viruses or malware at the first point of contact

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security. It performs okay.

• "We can detect any attack of viruses or malware at the first point of contact."
    • "There are problems with the custom reporting of the unique traffic. The data is there, but it is too difficult for us to extract."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The security of the platform, because we are very concerned about cybersecurity. Also, the customer service response is important.
    SB
    Security Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Their response and resolution times are good

What is our primary use case?

It performs well.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

Box stability Security features, like SSL scanning.  Their service: Whenever we raise a complaint with FortiGate, their response and resolution times are minimal.

What needs improvement?

They need faster serviceability and more security features.

Three to five years.

It has good stability compared to its competitors.

It is scalable. We are making a cost savings on the scalability.

We have been using technical support. Their response…
    EH
    User at El loco hugo
    User
    It has improved our organization with control data

What is our primary use case?

We use it because it is a good device.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization with control data.

What is most valuable?

The rules.

What needs improvement?

The reports are very basic.

AM
    Information Security Analyst at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Protected us from several Zero-day attacks and includes data leak prevention

What is our primary use case?

It is performing fine, there is no problem from FortiGate. The firewall engine is very good, Very suitable for picking up Zero-day threats. It has protected us from two or three instances, thanks to this engine.

• "Valuable features include the Web Application Firewall, and it even has DLP (data leak prevention)."
    • "The firewall engine is not so strong as of now, in my opinion... My second concern is that, while they have Zero-day vulnerability and anti-malware features, the threat engine needs to be strengthened, its efficiency can be increased."
    • "I need user-behavior analytics, to find threat scenarios from inside the organization, insider attacks. That would be very helpful for us. In addition, I would like next-generation features for small and medium businesses. These businesses require UTM, all in one product. Fortinet must include it."

What other advice do I have?

If price is a constraint for you, you should go with Fortinet. But security is a very big factor right now. If you want to be compliant with GDPR and all the other things that are coming up, you should go with another good vendor. Even though Fortinet is a big competitor, in one to three years, when they include many new features in their products, they will be a good solution. I would rate FortiGate at eight out of 10 because the support was very good. Considering the current scenario, I would not give it nine or 10 because they need to include many features in the smaller products, not only…
    Andrew S. Baker (ASB)
    Cybersecurity & IT Operations Professional (VirtualCxO) at BrainWave Consulting Company, LLC
    Top 20Popular

What is our primary use case?

I have deployed several of the following models for customers: 200D, 60E, 60D. This review focuses on the FortiGate 200D.

• "The CLI is robust and powerful, enabling rapid, consistent changes via SSH."
    • "The IPsec tunnels are very easily created, and quite interoperable with devices from other vendors."
    • "WAN load-balancing could be a lot better at detecting when a link is poor or inconsistent, and not just flat out dead."
    • "Some configuration elements cannot be easily altered once created."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend, and often try to deploy Fortinet solutions for my office network and for my customers. They run for a long time, they are supported for many OS updates, and they are pretty solid. Don't upgrade the OS right away when it is released, if a major new version has come out. v5.0 was problematic early, but v5.2 was great. v5.4 was a problem child, but v5.6 had only a minor issue. v6.0 was surprisingly smooth and had only a minor issue. I could have avoided most of these problems if I waited an additional month or so before updating, but I updated because I need to advise…
    Diana Nongera
    I.T. Manager at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees

What is our primary use case?

When we looking for a device, we wanted to control incoming and outgoing traffic into our network to protect our organization, like have a barrier before anyone could send something in or anyone could send something out. We also use this for our DHCP.

• "With FortiClient, you can easily connect when you are home, check out what you want to do, and connect to your network when you are not at work. You can switch on servers and you can check what is wrong."
    • "Our security improved from being able to put in rules and close off unwanted traffic."
    • "It should come integrated or have its own type of network monitor tool in a module. There should just be one package, and you are good to go."

What other advice do I have?

You don't need to reinvent the wheel, as FortiGate is the best solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The ability of the brand * Best of breed * Reliability * After hours sales service, because we know technology comes with renewals, upgrades, and support. This is quite critical to our functionality and efficiency.
    VS
    ICT Officer at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It is straightforward to implement the device from scratch

What is our primary use case?

We have been using the FortiGate antivirus software for a couple of years, as of mid-July. The hardware solutions for the firewall, we have been using for less than a year. We are using FortiGate 80E for a medium-sized office. I am pretty satisfied with it. It has performed well. The primary use is to protect the internet traffic for a medium-sized office, up to fifty users, using a local domain with a not so intensive cloud traffic. Generally, it is just to protect the internet access for all the users in the network. Also, we are using VPN at external locations to the office, which FortiGate… more »

• "There is an easy process for configuring it, and it is straightforward to implement the device from scratch."
    • "At first glance, the interface for the device is very confusing."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We have specific procurement rules, then we specify the technical specifications. After that, whoever is cheapest should get the job.
    GI
    Mgr. IT Infrastructure and Network Operations at a media company with 11-50 employees
    User

What is our primary use case?

* Security * Monitoring and controlling * VPN * Active Directory integration * Servers * All components related to an enterprise environment.

• "Centralized monitoring, policy management, and virtualized appliances allow us to take control over our public and private infrastructure."
    • "Cisco Meraki products are rising very quickly in the cloud and the connected era. Meraki products offer much better ROI, upgradability, and manageability."
    it_user867420
    Network Engineer
    A solid product with an easy configuration and good support

What is our primary use case?

Primary use would be firewalls for the central office as well as all our branch offices. For some branches, we use the wireless feature.

• "The product is very stable, easy to troubleshoot, and configure, so it has reduced the time it takes for support."
    • "It needs more available central management."
    • "It could use better throughput on some of the smaller boxes for the branch offices."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend the Fortinet product because of its implementation. It is a solid product with an easy configuration and good support. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Experience * Installations of similar types which met our needs * Pricing * Support * Ease of implementation.
    VH
    User at Smartdev LLC
    User
    The graphical interface is complete and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

It is a UTM firewall with many features. It has helped me to control users and public multi-servers easily. It also can make the VPN connection free through advanced routing (RIP, OSPF, BGP, PBR). It gives you a seamless, simple integration into a large network.

How has it helped my organization?

It help me control users, so I could review how users access the Internet or the bandwidth, and what they use per day.

What is most valuable?

A strong point of FortiGate is the graphical interface is complete and easy to use.  The IPS is good. It protect my network from attackers.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is the performance on the bandwidth demands for smaller devices, as well as better web filtering.

For how long have I used

Ali Asvadi
    President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Good performance, protects network perimeters against attacks

What is our primary use case?

To protect network perimeters.

How has it helped my organization?

Security. The main options feature protection and security against attacks.

What is most valuable?

Reliability and performance, those are key factors.

What needs improvement?

I have only one request and that is to have Fortinet as a market download in Azure.

Less than one year.

So far, so good.

I'm an integrator, so I use SonicWall, Sophos, and Fortinet.
    it_user510852
    Technical Services Manager with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to set up, make policies; the switches automatically get policies from the firewall

What is our primary use case?

I am using it as an IPS, intrusion protection system.

• "It's very easy to set up, it's very easy to make policies and, for an organization, that means you don't need IT expert in firewalls. You just need to have somebody who knows a little bit of IT, and that's it. With other products, you need someone with a "Masters" degree in firewalls."
    • "You can purchase switches and you don't need to do anything with them. You just put in the firewall and the switches get all the policies and rules that you already have in the firewall. With Fortinet, you just connect the FortiSwitch to the Fortinet and that's it."
    • "As far as wanting more scalability or things in the network diagram, it's going to cost you."

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate a 10 because every time I need to use the support, they are there. There were times when I went to a customer to give support, I called Cisco, they pass me to Brazil, and on another call, they passed me to India. After I gave the guy in India all this information for an hour, he asked me, "What's the problem?" So there was a communication issue with them and they don't know the problems very well. With Fortinet, they are in the US, not in India. Do a total cost of ownership analysis with all the features you are looking for and, based on that, make the purchase. Also, reviews…
    JC
    Manager and General Attorney with 51-200 employees
    Filtering and alerts help protect our data but the cost is becoming too high

What is our primary use case?

The main use is to protect from outside attack, from any side. Because we work with sensitive data, we have to protect our work. We use it mainly for security, not only for content control.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiGate at seven out of 10 because, although they are doing well, the problem is the licensing, the cost is too high, and how they support their own devices needs improvement. They have to focus on more features with less cost for the customer. If you see the market, where it's going, there are a lot of players offering more features for less cost. FortiGate is a great product but they have to look out. My advice would be, look at the time on the market. FortiGate is doing well, but right now they have many competitors that are doing well.
    Senior Consultant at Unify Square
    Top Reviewer
    FortiGate security appliances provide UTM security in a single device with a good administrative interface and performance
    We're discussing a family of UTM (Unified Threat Management) appliances.  FortiGate is a term which includes a wide range of products, starting with small ones dedicated to small offices, and developing into devices which are able to grant security and networking for large companies. The family includes physical devices and virtual machines, which grant network security on different layers using a single point of control. FortiGate is optimized to avoid bottlenecks or delays while the various controls are performed. High availability is also part of the available features with various solutions to avoid single points of failure.  In the following short list, I will list some interesting points about the FortiGate solution.  1. Administrative Interface If you are experienced…
    DD
    User
    Saved a bundle by not needing past appliances from an NGFW, however it needs better performance on bandwidth demands for smaller devices

What is our primary use case?

Firewall/Web Filter management. We have over 30 sites, and it is imperative that one person (myself) can plan, implement, and deploy these devices to our sites and manage them when finished.

How has it helped my organization?

Consolidated our network environment at all locations, but mainly at our datacenter.

What is most valuable?

The web filtering was the most valuable, because at a school board, we need to make sure the students are not tying up our bandwidth and also to keep the bad guys out.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is the performance on bandwidth demands for smaller devices, as well as better web filtering. Each manufacturer has their own way of filtering and each one needs improvement in categories, URL, and/or…
    it_user795288
    Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to understand licensing requirements

What is our primary use case?

I use this product on AWS. FortiGate's VM GUI is slightly different than the hardware devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a one box solution, which covers most of the edge device’s requirements.

What is most valuable?

I have found FortiGuard Services to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

It needs to improve its ISP load balancing.

No issues.

No issues.

I would rate technical support as a seven out of 10.

We had a previous solution, but switch…
    it_user805185
    CEO with 11-50 employees
    User
    Controls the user's activities and maximizes my bandwidth use overall

What is our primary use case?

The company has integrated the LDAP with the UTM to control user traffic in senses and have a high availability for Active/Passive to assure uptime in case of physical failure. Our company is cloud driven and downtime becomes critical.

• "The FortiGate controls the user's activities and maximizes my bandwidth use overall."
    • "Reporting is limited to providing an external appliance for improving the reporting capabilities of the FortiAnalyzer. It does not offer a central management and is also sold separably as an appliance."
    it_user545559
    Owner at a tech services company
    I am able to save hours of planning and implementation time because the documentation is so helpful

• "Their reliability and their policy of pre-shipping replacements when a unit has failed."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone evaluating this product should consult the documentation available and plan out their solution before making a decision. From personal experience, I find that I am able to save hours of planning and implementation time because Fortinet's documentation is so helpful.
      Alan Chavira
      Engineering Manager at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
      Great product with too many features at the right price

How has it helped my organization?

Simplifies administration and upgrades overall security.

What is most valuable?

UTM/NGFW features and FortiCloud for logs and backups are awesome.

What needs improvement?

MTBF: Hardware failure is more common when compared to SonicWall or Cisco ASA.

Great support. It's quite good in Mexico.

Straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Great product with too many features at the right price.
      Matthew Titcombe
      CEO & Sr. Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      The solution improved the security posture and overall management's TCO

How has it helped my organization?

The solution improved the security posture and overall management's TCO.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is a standardized OS.

What needs improvement?

It claims it does DLP, but the degree and level of controls are very basic. We recommend that our clients supplement it with other products.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Technical support is excellent.

We did not use a previous…
      Alberto E. Luna Rodriguez
      Network Security Coordinator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The VPN capabilities provide a reliable connection to our corporate network over low cost internet services.

• "LinkGreat firewall capabilities"
      • "Stability and technical support are the two major issues I have found with Fortinet."

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with dimensioning. Don’t expect the device to handle ALL the features. Usually firewall, Web Filter and the WLAN controller work well. But if you need IPS, app control and AV, I would advise over-dimensioning the device a bit (taking Fortinet data sheets as the reference).
      it_user700113
      Owner
      We use it as an internal firewall for VLAN segmentation.

• "Layer-3 firewall and routing are the most valuable features."
      • "They should improve high CPU and memory usage that occurs."

What other advice do I have?

It's a user-friendly and stable firewall. You can safely use it for all small and big LAN networks.
      it_user454521
      Deputy Chief Manager at a newspaper with 5,001-10,000 employees
      It has given us improved security over the internet. It is easy to use with a single console and unified threat management features.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us improved security over the internet.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, single console, Unified Threat Management (UTM) features.

What needs improvement?

NGN, reporting and controls.

We had some stability issues but we upgraded.

There was a hardware limitation, affecting scalability.

I would rate the technical support as 8/10.

We had a different solution in the organization arising from different OEMs and this solution was chosen with consideration of requirements and costs.

it_user677703
      Superintendent, Process Automation and Safety at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Allows for firewall rules to be programmed and named in a way that makes it readable.

• "Allows for firewall rules to be programmed and named in a way that makes it “readable”"
      • "It would be nice if backups could more easily migrate between different models."

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product and works extremely well. If it is set up in a logical way, it is very easy to understand and modify. It is highly recommended to have a service “expert” familiar with these to set it up initially with customer direction.
      Senior Security Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
      They added a valuable WAF feature to the latest version.

What other advice do I have?

In version 5.4, they added a WAF feature that is absolutely unique for this kind of product; no other NGFW product can also be a WAF and this is a great added value...
      IT Infrastructure Engineer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
      FortiGate/FortiWiFi; FortiManager; FortiAnalyzer

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet solutions are very easy to implement, proven, certified and tested.
      ICT Manager at a aerospace/defense firm
      Virtual domains are treated as separate firewall instances

• "You can create multiple Virtual Domains (VDOMs), which are treated as separate firewall instances."
      • "The reporting you receive out of this appliance is excellent. You will not need an external management system."
      • "The user interface is relatively easy. The devices are easy to deploy and figure out when you have experience with other security appliances."
      • "I could not configure sFlow from the FortiGate graphical user interface. I realized that the sFlow configuration is available only from the CLI, and discovered that sFlow is not supported on virtual interfaces, such as VDOM links, IPsec, or GRE."
      • "There is one big configuration file with no separations for the unique VDOMs. Maybe they could separate individual VDOM configuration files with the root VDOM configuration file referencing the individual VDOM config files.​"

What other advice do I have?

Great appliances, and it is affordable.
      Dëvóps Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      Fortigate is only cheap if you don't value your time or product quality
      I have had the displeasure of having to support SOHO Fortigate offerings (Fortigate/Fortiwifi). in almost any measure, I have found these products inferior to respective solutions from cisco and juniper (two examples i've had experience with). I'll start with the most egregious and disturbing: the product is unstable. the VPN client is crash prone and the VPN daemon is crash prone. if you want to enjoy having to drive to the office when the roads are iced because the VPN daemon just gave up the ghost again, just to reboot a unit, by all means - choose Fortigate. I'll continue with support - pretty much a joke, although being fair here, it is similar in other respective products. by the time a competent engineer reviews your case, you may have to wade through more than a month of back…
      it_user375528
      IT NETWORK ENGINEER at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
      The most valuable features for us are VPN, WebFilter, and Firewall.

What other advice do I have?

You should know the customization you want from the beginning, and plan your requirements appropriately.
      NetworkEng896
      Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      I could achieve the same results with a software firewall. This one comes in a nice hardware package. Using the CLI should be documented better.

What other advice do I have?

Figure out what features you want, and what policies you want. Look up how to do it in advance, and create an implementation plan. Plan for policies, routing, NATting, etc. Create a step-by-step process in advance, possibly create the environment in a DEV sandbox, test it, then implement. It has a good feature set. However, sometimes you are forced to solicit technical support to get it working. Also, I find the web interfaces sometimes do not display things properly.
      it_user283398
      Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      MSP
      The UTM (application control) features have solved many issues that other firewall providers cannot, such as Google suite blocking and allowing.

What other advice do I have?

Work a lot with all of the UTM features because they can be very helpful right now with configuring firewall policies. The policies became very whole.
      IT Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      We were able to prevent the use of torrent applications. They need to improve the alert and event logs.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good device for a medium-sized company. But if you have over 150 staff/devices, I wouldn’t advise using this.
      it_user431136
      Consultant Information Technology at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      Delivers what it promises when it comes to performance, stability and security functions.

What other advice do I have?

If you need real and effective security for your network, do not hesitate to buy a Fortigate appliance. It is no wonder that it is the best according to Gartner, for several years running. It delivers what it promises and more when it comes to performance, stability and security functions.
      Project Consultant at a tech consulting company
      I can delegate more simple and routine tasks to other administrators and I don’t have to be the “Firewall” guy all the time, but the graphical interface always has room for improvement.

What other advice do I have?

I think for almost any small to mid-size business this is a great solution. Fortigate should definitely be considered before choosing a more expensive and complicated product.
      Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Controlling and tracing with web console works nicely for windows systems, but for Linux, only IP can be obtained.
      Project Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
      For price criteria, Fortinet wins over competitors. That being said, certain areas of the product need improvement

What other advice do I have?

Contact Fortinet or Fortinet’s partner and ask for a POC.
      CEO with 51-200 employees
      I've been using it for 6 years. I like the security profiles and vulnerability assessment.

Valuable Features

Load Sharing VDOM Security Profiles Vulnerability Assessment

Use of Solution

6 Years

Yes, bugs.

Poor.
      it_user275226
      IT Director with 501-1,000 employees
      I don't need to have a cluster because it's stable, but rules are not intuitive and the admin UI needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

It's fine as a firewall and as a proxy. You need to configure the rules right or else it will be hard to keep up with the logs.
      Security Consultant at Webernetz.net - Network Security Consulting
      Cisco ASA vs. Fortinet FortiGate vs. Palo Alto vs. Juniper SSG
      Since IPv6 gets more and more important, I am using it by default on all my test firewalls, which of course support IPv6. However, when comparing the different functions and administration capabilities, they vary significantly. Here comes my short evaluation of the IPv6 functions on the following four firewalls: Cisco ASA, Fortinet FortiGate, Juniper SSG, and Palo Alto. Criteria I was merely interested in the basic IPv6 usage and not in the typical firewall categories: Interface: IPv6 address and link-local address configurable? Router Advertisement and DHCPv6: Whether the firewalls support nothing (–), only RA (-), DHCPv6 relay (ο), stateless DHCPv6 (+), or stateful DHCPv6 (++). The existence of stateless DHCPv6 is vital for delivering the DNS server IPv6 addresses…
      it_user245154
      Customer Support engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
      It helps to come up with the requirements of proxy servers, but it does not have that much troubleshooting & network testing features.

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your needs first before implementing this product.
      it_user241746
      Software Test Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
      The product has lived up to its expectations but the web interface needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Anti-virus NAT VPN

How has it helped my organization?

It's the only security product in place that is responsible for guarding the network infrastructure deployed within the premises. The product has lived up to its expectation with no issues whatsoever.

What needs improvement?

The web interface could be made better.

I've used it for eight years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

We have managed to maintain the device without getting in touch with technical support. Credit can be given to the documentation provided.

Which solution

it_user241101
      Network Administrator at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
      It offers unlimited VPN licensing but it needs a real-time log viewer in the GUI.

What other advice do I have?

It's an absolutely fantastic product. Just get your support contract clarified, and confirm the response times.
      it_user236523
      Senior Information Security Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
      It's excellent and we strongly recommend it, but WAN link load balancing needs improving.

What other advice do I have?

Our experience of using Fortigate is excellent and we strongly recommend it.
      it_user236517
      Senior NetOps Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Security has been increased but the licensing fees could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

Enjoy it. The product is easy to implement, easy to manage, and easy to develop and grow.
      it_user234777
      IP Senior Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
      It offers stability, scalability and plenty of security features. Enjoy fast and effective troubleshooting as everything is organized in a very understandable way.

What other advice do I have?

Throughout the last six years we have been using Fortigate firewalls, and the experience we gained is only positive. These devices are easy to manage, operate and troubleshoot any issues that might rise. The use of virtual domains has added more security presence by only having one physical device, and it’s easy to create them. Also, by enabling other security features on the VDoms, the physical performance will not be affected.
      IP Core & Security Supervisor at a comms service provider
      Web filtering is good but I can't allow traffic from outside to inside using a NAT pool.

What is most valuable?

IPS Web filtering

How has it helped my organization?

We are making use of the VDOM feature to segregate the traffic, and apply policy to control that traffic.

What needs improvement?

This product can't show the NAT status or NAT logs.

I've been using ForitGate for over two years alongside FortiManager 300D.

I have an issue with NAT only, in that I can't allow traffic from outside to inside using a NAT pool.

There was a bug related to device stability with HA configuration. We face many attacks on the network which causes the CPU usage to become high and, with the older device, we started losing the…
      Network Security Infrastructure - Tech Specialist with 10,001+ employees
      It has given me complete oversight of my network in a centralized fashion but certain features need improving.

What other advice do I have?

The most important factor is that you choose a firewall or UTM solution that fits your organizations security requirements. Begin by determining what business problem you are trying to solve, what technical controls you need to implement (Firewall, IPS, NAC, VPN, endpoint, mobility, web filtering, malware detection, etc.). Then, determine what hardware features you need such as (HA clustering, link aggregation or 10Gb, port sensity), and what kind of throughput, and how many concurrent connections.
      Dono at a tech consulting company
      The projects' initial costs were high but right now we can do most things, and the only costs now are the annual license fees.

What other advice do I have?

Feel free to ask me questions about Fortinet.
      Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Very easy to manage and understand

What is most valuable?

SSL VPN, Site to Site VPN, UTM features and web override are nice features.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve a bit the SSL VPN to integrate with Sharepoint single sign on, with form base, Windows claim base and SALM base authentication.

For the last 3 years

Yes but that was resolved.

Yes, sometimes the CPU and memory get to 99% utilization but when this happens no users are working and no updates for windows are configured.

Yes, somewhat.

Customer Service: The level of customer…
      Network Support Analyst at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      Cisco's license is more expensive than Fortinet - that was the tipping point for why we changed to Fortinet.
      it_user69804
      Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      I've been with Fortinet for 8 years now. Even when not considering anything else, I still consider other vendors
      I'm obviously a fan of the FGTs - I'm aware of the solutions to the "problems" many newcomers experience. I'm comfortable. But maybe too comfortable. Though I've just introduced my new employer to Fortinet, you must always be objective in your search for proper hardware. Do your homework, cross the T's and dot your I's. Even when not considering anything other than a FGT, I still consider other vendors - that doubt, nagging or gnawing at the back of my brain. And even when I force myself to be unbiased, the FGT line always wins. I WANT to move on; it's time - I've been with Fortinet for 8 years now. But they somehow keep winning my loyalty. And it's not with unending bugs. The Hardware is legit; it's tight. It's fast. It's pretty - LOOK! They come in WHITE now! How…
      Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I pulled our organization off Fortinet a year ago for three reasons - the high cost, the constant bugs in code that either blocked access that should be allowed or general failures during system updates, and the killer - a poor design on their clustering which caused configuration corruption to pass from the primary to the secondary. Oh, let's not forget the static ram exhaustion that began the cluster failure to begin with. I can understand the limitation of static ram, but the decision to solder that in place (making replacement impossible) meant that particular unit has roughly a 4 year lifespan. I am well aware that Fortinet has a strong reputation at the high end, but for midsize shops there are more affordable options that seem to need less hand-holding.
      Network Manager at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Fortigate is Hard to Beat for the Money
      Fortinet has been a darling of the stock market ever since its IPO in 2009 as its stock price has accelerated over recent years. Its stock performance has mirrored the adoration that its line of security devices consistently receive. Fortinet is the current UTM market leader, boasting a 20% market share. Fortinet is now expanding out of its core SMB strength and into the large enterprise market where the increasing performance of its solutions are making it attractively priced. In Gartner’s latest Unified Threat Management Magic Quadrant (UTM) Fortinet is listed at the top of the leader quadrant. Says Gartner, “We believe attributes that contributed to the leadership position include Fortinet’s high awareness in the industry, in Gartner client’s short-lists and in…
      it_user69351
      Network Engineer at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Fortinet vs. Palo Alto
      I work with both Fortinet and Palo Alto.
 For me, the advantage of Palo is visibility, reporting and user authentication. Fortinet is easier and faster to configure.
 A commit on a Palo Alto is very long when we are used to have a direct modification of Fortinet.
 Virtual wire on Palo Alto is much more easier than transparent mode of Fortinet, it's really useful to prepare an integration or a demo in real situation and the tap mode is cool for that too.
      Product Categories
      Firewalls SD-WAN WAN Edge
      Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.