HPE StorageWorks MSA Overview

HPE StorageWorks MSA is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) tools. It is most often compared to IBM FlashSystem: HPE StorageWorks MSA vs IBM FlashSystem

What is HPE StorageWorks MSA?
Whether you need best-in-class performance or are looking to get the most capacity for your investment, MSA has a fast, affordable solution for you. And every MSA comes with an intuitive setup and management interface anyone can master.

HPE StorageWorks MSA is also known as HP StorageWorks MSA.

Download the Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

HPE StorageWorks MSA Customers
Femsa CSC, TTX, Rabobank
HPE StorageWorks MSA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StorageWorks MSA pricing:
  • "This solution involves a one-time CapEx payment, followed by warranty extensions."
  • "When we bought this solution it was very reasonably priced and they were willing to deal."
  • "This solution is quite expensive; they should lower the cost."
  • "The price of the solution is a little high and they should provide more competitive pricing. If you want to increases the storage size there are additional fees."

MS
Manager of Customer Services with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy and manage with good monitoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our CCTV cameras and systems.

• "The product is very easy to deploy."
  • "It would be ideal if there was a better management interface."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. It's a very good, simple entry-level storage system that allows for the separation of operations. We've been only using basic aspects of the solution, and only for CCTV, however, it has provided us with everything we've need and we are quite satisfied with its performance.
Asanka Karunanayake
Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
Great Storage at very cost effective price

What is our primary use case?

We are using virtualization and we use this storage for hosting workloads. We have our own workloads, as well as some for our customers.

• "The most valuable features are the storage levels and snapshot features."
  • "This product is getting a little bit older, so new features like deduplication are not included."

What other advice do I have?

So far, our experience with this product has been great. We've had a small number of issues such as a hard disk failure, but that is manageable with RAID so it has not been a problem. This is a product that I recommend for others. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, IBM and others in Modular SAN (Storage Area Network). Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SK
IT MGR at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Stable, responsive support, easy to expand, and has dual controllers

What is our primary use case?

When we purchased this solution, we work looking to go from a standalone VMware server to a full-fledged host. We have two hosts and we have the SAN, and so it was the most cost-effective at the time for us, as beginners with SAN technology. We are currently looking to replace this with a newer product because of its age.

• "The most valuable features were the dual controllers and being able to expand it."
  • "The support contract is expensive, although they are very responsive."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and everything I needed it to do, it did and still does. My advice for anybody who is implementing the MSA is to hire somebody to deploy it if you don't have the staff. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
AliBizmark
Computer and Network Engineer at Jooya Informatics Group
An industry-leading consolidation solution that provide plenty of storage

• "The simple configuration feature is great. It is very simple, allowing you to set up MSA very easily."
  • "Synchronized replication is very important for MSA; however, HPE StorageWorks MSA doesn't provide synchronized replication."

What other advice do I have?

HPE OneView is a better solution for managing and monitoring MSA. You can't add MSA Storage to OneView. We can add OneView, but we can't add MSA Storage to OneView for monitoring and management. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE StorageWorks MSA a rating of eight. If they improved the central management and lowed the price, I would give it a higher rating.
MD
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, user-friendly interface, and responsive support

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE StorageWorks MSA as our central storage for our VMware clusters.

• "The solution is very easy to use, it is not really complex for any user, such as non-technical individuals."
  • "The solution could improve by adding configuration tools."

What other advice do I have?

This is an entry-level storage system and I would recommend it to others. I rate HPE StorageWorks MSA an eight out of ten.