IBM SPSS Modeler OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SPSS Modeler is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Data Mining tools. It is most often compared to KNIME: IBM SPSS Modeler vs KNIME

What is IBM SPSS Modeler?

IBM SPSS Modeler is an extensive predictive analytics platform that is designed to bring predictive intelligence to decisions made by individuals, groups, systems and the enterprise. By providing a range of advanced algorithms and techniques that include text analytics, entity analytics, decision management and optimization, SPSS Modeler can help you consistently make the right decisions from the desktop or within operational systems.

Buy

Sign up for the trial

IBM SPSS Modeler is also known as SPSS Modeler.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM SPSS Modeler Customers

Reisebªro Idealtours GmbH, MedeAnalytics, Afni, Israel Electric Corporation, Nedbank Ltd., DigitalGlobe, Vodafone Hungary, Aegon Hungary, Bureau Veritas, Brammer Group, Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, InSites Consulting, Fortis Turkey

IBM SPSS Modeler Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SPSS Modeler pricing:
  • "This tool, being an IBM product, is pretty expensive."
  • "Its price is okay for a company, but for personal use, it is considered somewhat expensive."
  • "$5,000 annually."

IBM SPSS Modeler Reviews

ZK
Contracts Manager at a program development consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, and it gives you a lot of visibility through features like comparing fiscal quarters

• "You take two quarters and compare them and this tool is ideal because it gives you a lot of visibility on the before and after."
  • "When you are not using the product, such as during the pandemic where we had worldwide lockdowns, you still have to pay for the licensing."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the analysis of economic impact.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this product for analysis of an exhibition center. It is releasing a lot of media and Modeler assesses how the shows were in the last six months. When it comes to a relative comparison between two quarters, this tool gives you very accurate numbers, which are then reflected in the media release that goes out.

What is most valuable?

I think the tool is very helpful in terms of, when you work on a foothold, you can compare how many people came into the center between fiscal periods. You take two quarters and compare them and this tool is ideal because it gives you a lot of visibility on the before and after. It provides graphs for you to actually see how the impact has been on the financial side.

It's a user-friendly tool.

What needs improvement?

I think that Modeler needs to be more commercially effective because, of the competing tools, some of them are free and others are available at a very nominal cost.

When you are not using the product, such as during the pandemic where we had worldwide lockdowns, you still have to pay for the licensing. It is just wasting the term and they should have suspended the fees and extended the licensing timeline. Essentially, you can't stop it, even if you're not using it, and it is a little difficult to accept the cost in such situations.

What we really need is some flexible terms with respect to the renewal or a break from the strict license timeline.

We have been using Modeler for between seven and eight years.

This is a pretty stable solution. The end-users and other people with hands-on experience are very happy with this tool. It has not let us down in the past and we have not really experienced any downtime.

It is simple for us to maintain because all we have to do is renew the key every year. It does not require any support, maintenance, or patch upgrades. It's just there, and as long as the renewal is done, we have access to run the tool and perform different combinations of impact assessment.

I think that it is pretty scalable, based on what I have heard from the team. However, we don't really have a need for that. We have two main uses who take on different directions of research and insight into different areas of study.

A small enterprise might not need this product because the cost for the renews of the license is pretty high. Because of this, smaller organizations would be better off with an open-source or free online tool to do their work. For large organizations, because you need stability and you need the reliability of data, I think this product is definitely required.

We have not needed to contact technical support. Once the system is configured, the key will give you access. I do not have downtime or major breakdowns. As long as you know what you need to do with it, the tool is fine.

It is a challenge because you can't switch a tool just like that, because you've been using the tool for a while, and then obviously familiarization with something which is new takes some time. You have to go through the whole experience of how good and effective the new tool is. So, sometimes the business doesn't allow you to really look at a switch.

The first time you implement this product, you need an implementation partner. I remember that it was pretty expensive. You go through a one-time on-premises deployment and configuration cost, and then it is just the renewal after that.

An authorized IBM reseller in the region assisted us with the deployment.

This tool, being an IBM product, is pretty expensive.

Our license key is renewed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, although it depends on the nature of the business. Those in the public sector or semi-government organizations who are supposed to report a lot of impact assessment from different perspectives such as healthcare and education will have pretty decent output and results.

We have been happy with this tool, although now the times have changed. There is some commercial pressure for us to implement something that is cheaper.

EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
Simple to implement, great automation and very user friendly due to it being clearly set out

• "Automation is great and this product is very organized."
  • "Dimension reduction should be classified separately."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for many projects, mainly for sophisticated data. It's applicable when you're dealing with a lot of data, for example, we're now dealing with a cancer related project, trying to figure out how we can build a predictive model. We're also using it at the university to predict the courses our students will follow. It helps with preparation related to capacity. We use the solution for both educational and research purposes. I have some students that I'm supervising for data mining and I teach this solution. I'm interested in data science in general. I'll be publishing a book on the subject in Arabic. I'm an associate professor of statistics and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I like the automation and that this product is very organized and easy to use. I think these features can be found in many products but I like IBM Modeler because it's very clear about how to use it. There are many other good features and I discovered something that I haven't seen in other software. It's the ability to use two different techniques, one is the regression technique and the other is the neural network. With IBM you can combine them in one node. It improves the model which is a big advantage.

What needs improvement?

Dimension reduction is very important, especially if you are working with millions of recordings and thousands of variables. It exists already, but it should be classified separately. The solution could be improved by adding a feature for statistical analysis like processes. They have some in the output, but not in the modes itself. I hope they can add statistical knowledge to the solution.

I've been using this solution since it was called Clementine, so it's been about nine years already.

This solution is stable.

Scalability is good although we use a limited amount of data. It is not like millions of records and it is based on the speed of the computer, the personal computer itself. I think it can handle huge data.

Initial installation is very quick and straightforward. It can take up to half an hour. I carry out the installation.

There is a basic fee and you pay extra for added features. You'll need to use Linux which also adds to the price.

We looked at other options but it was clear that IBM was the simplest solution to deal with because of its organization. You have the three main topics of data mine: data science as in association, segmentation and clustering. IBM has it organized for each branch and the added advantage of having an automated icon. If someone is not expert at this technique then this program can deal with maybe up to eight different models and you can pick the one you want.

What other advice do I have?

They offer a four-week trial which is maybe enough time to study the product. It really is very good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Knime, SAS and others in Data Mining. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
Good supervised models, very organized, easy to use, and stable

• "The supervised models are valuable. It is also very organized and easy to use."
  • "Time Series or forecasting needs to be easier. It is a very important feature, and it should be made easier and more automated to use. For instance, for logistic regression, binary or multinomial is used automatically based on the type of the target variable. I wish they can make Time Series easier to use in a similar way."

What is most valuable?

The supervised models are valuable. It is also very organized and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Time Series or forecasting needs to be easier. It is a very important feature, and it should be made easier and more automated to use. For instance, for logistic regression, binary or multinomial is used automatically based on the type of the target variable. I wish they can make Time Series easier to use in a similar way.

I have been using this solution since 2011. It was named Clementine at that time.

It is stable.

I don't contact them directly, but the help is good enough to be used.

I used SPSS Statistics at the beginning, which was a long time ago. I was satisfied and continued using it. I was using SAS when I was in the United States, but that was more than 25 years ago. You should know how to analyze data, and then you can work with any solution. It is like driving a car. If you know the rules, you can change and drive any car. It is not a big deal as long as you know the principles of driving.

The interface of SPSS is easier to use. Even though I have used SAS many times, I mostly recommend SPSS. Students or people who are working with data also prefer SPSS, especially in the Middle East, because of its interface. In the Middle East, it is number one in terms of the number of users.

A lot of free solutions have come up, and there is a lot of competition. For instance, you have Orange, which is very easy to use, but it is not as strong as IBM SPSS Modeler. There is also KNIME, which is trying to imitate IBM SPSS Modeler. It is free, but it is not easy to use and organized as IBM SPSS Modeler. IBM SPSS Modeler is the easiest solution.

Its initial setup is easy.

Its price is okay for a company, but for personal use, it is considered somewhat expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with this solution, and I would recommend it if you want to go for a paid solution.

I would rate IBM SPSS Modeler a nine out of ten.

Peter Huo
Application Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
An efficient solution with great data aggregation

• "Very good data aggregation."
  • "Requires more development."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to generate and deal with data. We have feeders which have the methodologies and the data gives us leverage to deal with that and provide the graphic.

I'm an application architect and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good and reasonably priced solution. As a data analyst, the data aggregation is very good. It's a very quick method to merge the data. If you can use the data site, they offer you about 20 different analytic modes. It's simple and precise and it accelerates the data.

What needs improvement?

This is an expensive predicament software solution. Currently, the terminals offer the tools for the data analytics, but it needs development. There's a limit to the license. For the data analytics, it's very similar to Tableau. The solution has lots of branches, departments and the teams - that makes it quite a complex solution. We don't always use or need the major developmental version. We care about the KPI. We only care about the KPI reporting so it would be helpful if things were simplified.

I've been using this solution for a year.

This is a stable solution.

The scalability has been pretty good so far.

I think the technical support is very good. I deal with both the technical side and the commercial data warehouse and have had no problems with technical support.

I believe the licensing costs are $5,000 per year.

Some of the team might prefer Tableau as it's a newer solution, but this one works for us.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. We haven't used the full extent of its power because our team only use the basic part of the Modeler which deals with the migration of data.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

AB
Graduate Teaching Assistant at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
A great solution for running statistical analysis on your data

• "It is a great product for running statistical analysis."
  • "It would be good if IBM added help resources to the interface."

What is our primary use case?

I use the product for my research purposes in running analysis on data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is just being able to run statistical analysis on my data.

What needs improvement?

I actually think it is a great product. Maybe there could be some enhancement with more extensive help built into the interface. This could help end-users to understand the features as well as how to use them. Apart from that, it is a great product.

We have been using IBM SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) for about a year-and-a-half.

The initial installation is straightforward.

I did not have to use an integrator or consultant for deployment. I was able to do it by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM SPSS Modeler for people who need to do statistical analysis of this type.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten. It does the job.