Instana Dynamic APM Overview
What is Instana Dynamic APM?
Instana Dynamic APM Buyer's Guide
Download the Instana Dynamic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021
Instana Dynamic APM Customers
Instana Dynamic APM Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
student at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 4, 2019
Auto-discovery agents require little configuration and detect everything from host to service level, but reporting is lacking
What is our primary use case?The reason we started looking for something like this was that we were providing managed services for our customers. My company was a hosting company. We had various stacks that we were maintaining for customers, including PHP, a lot of Java, Node.js, Python; all of the popular languages. It was hard for people to get into APM because, at least in India, New Relic, AppDynamics, and other APM tools were quite costly. So cost was one issue. A second issue was that we were using different tools for different stacks. Some Application Performance Monitoring (APM) tools for a particular stack would… more »
Pros and Cons
- "If a key monitored value has crossed a threshold, it sends out an alert. And the solution is able to intelligently find out if something is beyond the range that it normally resides in."
- "With auto-discovery, we didn't need to consider much. We just installed the agent on the host and it was able to detect everything from the host level up to the service level, for whatever stack was installed, and that includes containers and dockers."
- "Sometimes it's able to provide a proper RCA on its own. It's able to correlate different events that occurred and that becomes like an RCA in itself."
- "New Relic has a better UI in terms of how it presents the data."
- "Many managers, as well as our customers, used to ask for reports, such as "top X number of queries that are slow," or "top pages that have the highest number of issues." This is something that can be improved by Instana. Currently, they don't have that kind of reporting available out-of-the-box."
What other advice do I have?If you are somebody who is already well-versed with the APM world and who has tried out different tools, you will find Instana quite easy to use. There really wouldn't be a lot of things to learn about it. Go with the SaaS version of Instana and don't bother with the on-premise. Other than that, to configure whatever is being auto-detected by Instana, be sure to check the logs of the agent that is running. If you find anything that the agent is missing, that's stopping it from gathering all the data it can, fix that. If you're using SaaS you don't have worry about disk space. There isn't much…
Product CategoriesApplication Performance Management (APM)
Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Instana, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!
- When evaluating Application Performance Management, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- How does synthetic monitoring differ from real user monitoring?
- What do you think of the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring?
- What is your favorite tool for application performance monitoring?
- Any advice about APM solutions?
- What application performance monitoring tool can perform end to end monitoring?
- What is AIOps?
- What is ITOM (IT Operations Management)?