Lucidchart Overview

Lucidchart is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Visual Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to Lucidspark: Lucidchart vs Lucidspark

What is Lucidchart?

Our online diagram application makes it easy to sketch and share professional flowchart diagrams.  From brainstorming to project management, we support all of your communication needs.
That’s why millions of users choose Lucidchart.

Lucidchart Buyer's Guide

Download the Lucidchart Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Lucidchart Customers

Google, Salesforce, Adobe, Whirlpool, Uber, Wal Mart, Pearson, Twitch, Riot Games, Western Union, Trimble, Starbucks

Lucidchart Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Lucidchart pricing:
  • "Pricing-wise, it is pretty fair. I don't really know what group pricing looks like, but right now, I pay $10 a month for my Lucid subscription. One thing I would say is that I do worry about my bosses being okay with paying $10 a month for every single employee because we would have around 20 people. It makes me a little nervous about whether they are going to pay $200 a month for people to be able to use this software. At the same time, from where I'm sitting, it's totally worth it. We save a thousand dollars from using this software. It's still a no-brainer."
  • "I pay $95 a year for it. It seems like a reasonable price."
  • "Its pricing is very affordable and reasonable for the features that it provides. I am using its basic plan, and for my usage, it is perfectly reasonable. It suits perfectly."
  • "I'm happy with the pricing of Lucidchart but I can't say I'm completely happy with it. It could be cheaper for what it offers, about $5 cheaper, or Lucid could charge $5 more and add more features, like automation. Right now, it's $15 per user per month... On the other hand, they have made their billing super-easy for users, such as for people who have to do expense reports. It is probably the easiest platform I'm using when it comes to billing for software as a service."

SS
Marketing Director at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Intuitive, designed in a way that it gives you what need, and saves time and money

What is our primary use case?

There are a few different things. The main one, obviously, is creating business workflows. I've been using its web-based version.

• "The ease of creating some of the maps and diagrams is most valuable. Lucidchart is just simpler and works more intuitively than other solutions that I have used in the past, such as Microsoft Visio. I am not in a creative role, but I know how to use Adobe Illustrator and other solutions like that. If I need to map out something that I've never mapped out before, and it is going to need a totally custom graphic, eight times out of 10, I'm going to go to Lucidchart rather than trying to build it in Illustrator. Its intuition and flexibility are really big features for me."
  • "I would really like to be able to set default appearance settings for new documents because I have a set of appearance settings that I always use. I end up setting that manually every time. There may be a way to do that, and maybe I am not able to find it. This is my only major point of feedback for improvement. There are other little nitpicky things, such as being able to lock layers without them looking like a big red line around them would be nice, but every graphic design software does that, so I understand why they have that. All my concerns are nitpicks. They're not big."

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely for most businesses. I've worked in a couple of different industries in my professional career. I've been a teacher. I've been in construction. This is my second time in construction. I've also been in marketing for a marketing company. I've been a business owner, and it has always been useful, so I can't really think of an industry where you wouldn't benefit from using it. I used to use it with Slack. We have Teams now, which I hate. I like Slack much better than Teams, and when I use Slack, I integrate it. I don't know if I ever used the direct integration, but we definitely…
SaifKhan2
Product Manager at Technogise
Enables us to remotely collaborate in real time and be more efficient, but the UI and UX need work

What is our primary use case?

As a product manager, I often use these infinite canvases for coming up with ideas and for brainstorming. I also use it for defining workflows of new products or features that we are brainstorming on. Now that remote working has become so prominent, these types of tools come in handy when you are collaborating with a lot of folks and you need their input quickly, in a manner that is manageable. That is where I have used Lucidchart. It's a SaaS-based service, through the browser. Things are automatically saved over the cloud.

• "Lucidchart is very visual in nature, and it is something that we do use extensively for stakeholder mapping, for example. If you want to build graphs for things like who the decision-makers are in a particular organization, Lucidchart can be used for that."
  • "There is a premium for the use of certain elements in Lucidchart... It becomes very annoying, especially if you are a first-time user of Lucidchart and you don't have a premium plan. It feels a little too restrictive, in terms of using very basic shapes and icons. It asks you to sign-up for the premium account, which I think shouldn't be the case."

What other advice do I have?

Collaboration is the key. For teams to move faster, they need to make decisions in real time and keep everybody in the loop. As a scrum team or an XP team, these are the things that we valued even before Lucidchart. But then, we needed something that would aid our discussions in the absence of a whiteboard. My advice would be to visit product review sites, like IT Central Station, and see how the products in the category compare to each other. You might unearth certain features which are not very evident from a product website itself. Word of mouth is something that will give you an unbiased…
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ZF
Continuous Improvement Manager at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
I get better and more productive engagement from team members and I get through mapping processes more quickly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for process improvement in a factory setting. What I am primarily using it for is making process flow diagrams—with the rectangles, circles, diamonds, arrows, and whatever else you would build into a process flow. We've had discussions about using it to build engineering-type stuff, as well. For example, "Here's the room, here are the dimensions. Here's what it would look like if we moved this piece of equipment, what space it would open up. Here are other constraints or barriers that it might create." We've had discussions on that, but we haven't really delved into that… more »

• "It is important that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users because if you support Mac, that means you also support the mobile applications on the iPad... Some of the other employees have access to an iPad, but not all of them do. When we're trying to talk through a process with them on-the-fly, or at the point of occurrence, it's so much nicer if we can both have it up on the iPad. That's why I would say the Mac support is essential."
  • "One of the things that I find frustrating is that all of our Tableau information is on a server, so when I send that out people can't open it and use it. I then have to go back and do extra work to convert everything into an Excel format that everybody can use. It would be really important to me, if I send something out to somebody who doesn't have a Lucid account, that they can just click and see it, instead of having to log in and create an account."

What other advice do I have?

Watch some of the tutorials, check the reviews, and definitely talk to folks who are using it. Figure out what they like, what they don't like, and what they would want changed. There's a lot that I like about it. I find it to be a pretty good service. Get involved and play around with it, especially if you're working on facility layouts. I have printouts for some of the areas where we're implementing 5S and changing processes in. It's nice having something that the engineers have printed out, like a schematic or a blueprint for us. Also, if you're going to try it out, try to make a simple…
Bart Sajewski
Paid Search Lead Marketer at a wellness & fitness company with 51-200 employees
Helps us to realize efficiencies in the projects we use it for

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use Lucidchart to describe projects, processes, process descriptions, and project flows. I also use it for mind mapping a little bit. I cannot imagine working on a presentation for my manager without using Lucidchart. It's handy. It enables me to clear my mind in terms of how the process should look, what the necessary steps are, what the flow should be, how the flow should look, and all the beautiful stuff.

• "There is no alternative to Lucidchart if you want to describe a five-step process with bullet points. I believe every person who ever worked with PowerPoint on any type of documentation and then thought about which tool would actually help to describe what they're trying to do but without the words, would come up with Lucidchart."
  • "They should make it more user-friendly. The only option is either to use the existing template with already existing colors and gradients. If you want to do custom colors and gradients, then it's too complicated to use and should be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

We have a different tool for collaboration with our colleagues. If I create a business case and I need some feedback from the data team, I present the flow as I imagined it should look, and then I let the data person or the specialist tell me how to improve it, what needs to be different, and what needs to be changed. But I never thought about allowing anyone to have access to Lucidchart, simply because most of the people, especially the marketers, do not know about Lucidchart. The transition into using it as a collaboration tool will not happen instantly. I remember there was a period of time…
JV
Principal Solution Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
I'm able to diagram process flows and articulate them to others, while centralizing subject matter so I'm not searching for things

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, since I'm a solution engineer, I use it to create mock-ups of ideas for building out demo instances; what they should look like based on what we currently have in inventory. I take screenshots, throw them in there, and do all the diagramming. That is not my core responsibility, but it's one of things I am responsible for. I use Lucidchart to build out those mock-ups and to collaborate with the team so that they can have input on the layout, how things should look, and on behind-the-scenes processes.

• "The collaboration, hands-down, is the top feature. It is valuable because our company doesn't believe in working in silos... While I may be the one leading the efforts, it's very important that my team gets buy-in on decisions being made when we're designing. It's critical, especially in this virtual environment, when we're not in an office to have a team meeting and able to whiteboard something. Lucidchart is an extremely useful tool for our team."
  • "If you're trying to expand a comments box that is sitting on top of the chart, it automatically defaults to assuming you're trying to connect it to the next step in the process, when all you're trying to do is make the box bigger. It automatically goes to the arrow, but I just want to resize the box. That gets a little cumbersome because it does it every single time. It's not just a bug."

What other advice do I have?

Get a trial and try to recreate exactly what you want to create. See if it's going to work. Obviously, you need to get feedback from whoever is making the purchase, so get a trial to make sure it meets your needs before you dive on in. It's pretty powerful and it's definitely worth the purchase, but it's a competitive landscape. I knew I needed the license right away, so I didn't wait seven days to request a license. But for most people, the evaluation during a seven-day free trial is critical. Also, talk to comparably sized companies as a reference to see how they implemented it and to gauge…
Ricardo Trigueros
Senior Financial Analyst at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Provides real-time collaboration among users so that everyone can access and work on the same version of a document

What is our primary use case?

I've been using Lucidchart to create process flow charts. I've been using the shapes, swimlanes, and arrows. I haven't really been doing anything too formal, but it definitely has a lot of value for our team. I only use the diagrams. I don't really use all of the features.

• "Documenting things such as processes, systems, and new teams has been my primary use case. Lucidchart is really, really valuable for its ability to create a process chart from start to end. The web app makes it easy because everything is similar to other tools like Visio but Lucidchart feels a little bit more intuitive. It has been easy to use the web app. I definitely have learned a lot about how to bring in my own graphics or images in place of some of the shapes and I'm able to create and use the arrows within the processes, so it definitely has been useful for me."
  • "They should continue to bring in more shapes. For example, I saw something cool the other day that was a timeline and in between each step, there was a circle. I thought that that was very clean and that's something that I could see myself using. Lucidchart could come up with more visualizations. I'm not a designer so I would like to have more visuals. That would make my job easier because it would make my job much more professional looking but without having to be a designer myself."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to be open to another product that, in the end, is just a whole lot more intuitive and easy to adopt and so much more valuable for collaboration. It's good to be open to new products, especially outside of Microsoft or Google Suite. Have an open mind to other products outside of my main technology stack. I don't yet use the other products in the Lucid suite but I definitely would. It's just going to be one at a time for me, but I definitely will be taking advantage of other features and products. I would rate Lucidchart a nine out of ten.
Visahl Samson David Selvam
IT Manager at a security firm with 51-200 employees
Useful for technical and non-technical people, helps in visualization, and saves time

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for a wide range of diagrams for network configuration, process flow, etc. I am using its web version.

• "I really like the drag and drop feature because it makes the work easier. It is very easy to use. All the pieces are very good. All the icons and all the fields are available in the left panel. So, I just click, drag, and then edit a piece. When I showed it to my managing director, he was very inspired, and he also got a premium account for himself."
  • "Wireframing can be improved. For mock-ups and wireframing, only 10% of what is required is there. If they can develop this feature, it would be much better because it will then provide everything. Currently, we can design network diagrams, processes, etc., but we should also be able to do wireframing."

What other advice do I have?

It is very flexible and easy to use. These are the two main things about Lucidchart. Moreover, it doesn't take so much technical support. It is just click-and-drag. With some of the other solutions, you need some technical knowledge to understand how it works, whereas Lucidchart doesn't require any technical knowledge. If you have experience working with Word, PowerPoint, or Excel, you can use it easily. I have very occasionally used Lucidchart to create database schemas or modify existing data structures. I have not used Lucidchart's ability to compare different versions of documents. I might…
JP
Business Analyst at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Makes collaboration and presentation easy, and templates save me significant time

What is our primary use case?

I use it for the WBS tree diagram, the work breakdown structure, and for divisional workflow mapping. I also use it for whiteboarding sessions with my team. And I have used it for an operational requirements matrix. Our company has used it for making a company organizational chart.

• "Ease of use is especially critical because if I am conducting brainstorming sessions with my team, I have to be able to quickly put things on the monitor so that I don't lose their attention and focus. Ease of use is definitely helpful when I do that... The fact that I don't get lost within the software and am able to quickly generate visuals onscreen, so that it doesn't break the momentum, is a huge win."
  • "I wish there were a lot more automations. For instance, if I'm using a project management software to list out all my WBS [work breakdown structure] I wish Lucidchart had the functionality where it would take all the numbering and generate a tree diagram. Something like that would help so much, but right now it's still a manual task..."

What other advice do I have?

As far as project planning, execution, project status reporting, and requirements analysis, if planning is a big part of it, Lucidchart is a must-use.
See 30 more Lucidchart Reviews