Meraki MS Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Meraki MS Switches is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Aruba Switches: Meraki MS Switches vs Aruba Switches

What is Meraki MS Switches?
The Cisco Meraki MS brings the benefits of the cloud to networks of all sizes: simplified management, reduced complexity, network wide visibility and control, with lower operational cost for campus and branch deployments. Cisco Meraki access switching is available in both Layer 2 and powerful Layer 3 models. Mission-critical features like deep, Layer 7 application visibility, network topology, virtual stacking, QoS for business critical applications, 802.1X access control, and more are present in all models.

Meraki MS Switches is also known as MS220, MS320, MS420.

Meraki MS Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Meraki MS Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Meraki MS Switches Customers
Cisco Live Milan, Hyatt
Meraki MS Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Meraki MS Switches pricing:
  • "This product is quite expensive."
  • "This product is more than the competition, but you get what you pay for."
  • "Its price is definitely competitive."
  • "The only drawback is the cost — that's what kills them."

Darren-Sinden
Solutions Specialist - Enterprise Networking & SD-WAN at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Pushing out policies from a single location is an easy way of leveraging utilities and resources

What is our primary use case?

When I'm advising customers on solutions I have to know what they need. If they are happy using a cloud management platform and they are looking at running more than a single line of business, then having the web portal with Meraki is a simple solution. It provides a single-pane-of-glass in terms of management. It is easy to switch between the wireless, the security, and controlling the switching if they own all of those different technologies provided by Meraki. With other vendor brands, you might find that the operating cost would potentially increase due to them having to manage different… more »

• "The product provides a single-pane-of-glass in for management of wireless, security, and switching from multiple devices."
  • "Communication of compliance risk is awkward at best and threatening at worst. It needs to be addressed."

What other advice do I have?

My experience with Meraki goes back to the MS-1 series. That's when I first took the original Meraki training course and got the CMNA (Certified Meraki Networking Associate) certification. We got to play on the newest series of switches around at that time. Those have already gone past their lifecycle. We participate in ongoing training now and continue to get a look at the latest versions of the Meraki switches and get to know early on what is happening in terms of new development. The product is now becoming more of a hybrid with Cisco and other vendor products rather than just purely…
Sriman L
Senior Network Engineer at Nipun Net Solutions
Offers the ability to select multiple ports at a time in a checkbox

• "With Meraki, there is the advantage that you have dashboard access via the internet and you can work on it from anywhere."
  • "In terms of troubleshooting, if we get more tools there is an issue."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Meraki MS Switches. If the user wants more flexibility in terms of configuration and manageability, I would definitely recommend implementing it. On a scale of one to ten I would rate Meraki MS Switches a nine.
Learn what your peers think about Meraki MS Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Phillip Peerman
Supervisor of IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Simplifies the management process and allows the granular control of devices

What is our primary use case?

These switches are best used in mid-size businesses for access and collapsed distribution/core switching. They offer both layer 2 and layer 3 models and have a well-rounded switch feature set for a switch line. Overall, we have found them to meet just about every need we want in a switch. We have them as 10-GB solutions for high-speed SAN connectivity all the way down to 8 port solutions in some high-end homes. They offer ACLs, LACP, port security, access policies, and DHCP security, to name a few options. The methods that Meraki has chosen to implement some of these features via the cloud is… more »

• "Setting up a switch can be performed prior to having your hands on the device. Once you purchase a Meraki switch you will get an email from Meraki with a code to add to your dashboard and then you can start setting up your switch so when it arrives it will download its configuration and be all setup."
  • "Meraki MS switches are great for pretty much all SMB networks and most enterprise networks. However, there are some higher-end functions that larger enterprise networks with full access, distribution, and core switch stack may find limiting."

What other advice do I have?

Meraki offers some free equipment if you participate in their webinars. You can get a free security appliance, switch, and AP after watching three webinars and try them out for yourself. The free equipment comes with a 3-year license. Obviously, it will be their lowest end equipment but it still gives you the Meraki dashboard experience.
Devanand PR
IT Support Executive at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Web-based management with everything in a single dashboard, but it is expensive and the registration process needs to be streamlined

What is our primary use case?

We are using these switches to provide internet access to our users. They connect the access points.

• "The dashboard and the interface, in general, are good features."
  • "We had some dashboard licensing issues, maybe because their method of collecting data from the user needs to be more streamlined."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for others. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Alexander Ernst
IT Manager at IMP Bautest AG
Offers ability to configure multiple switches in one step which is an incredible feature

What is our primary use case?

We've chosen the Meraki product because the configuration is very simple. They are Cisco products, so we are sure of their reputation, the quality, the brand, the performance, and the support.

• "This is a sophisticated product with easy configuration that can save time and effort."
  • "The pricing needs to be more competitive with other products on the market."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people who are looking into this solution is that if they need a fast, scalable and easy-to-manage solution, they can buy a Cisco Meraki product. They pay the price for the quality of the product and the ease of use. It is not the cheapest, but it is the best. Maybe the time you save in configuration and use over other products is worth the extra cost. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Meraki Cisco as a nine. It is not a ten because of the price and if you give ten of ten points there is no room for improvement. Everything…
AA
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy initial setup with excellent newer models, but the firewall is not powerful

What is our primary use case?

There are many use cases for the solution. We implement them mainly for SMEs.

• "The initial setup is simple."
  • "The firewall is not very powerful. The other week, one of the switches only gave one gigabit of output. It's become a concern for our customers."

What other advice do I have?

We're an integrator. We tend to test things before we send them to our customers. We are a very small company, we are constantly looking for competitive pricing, as we don't have big budgets to throw around. The solution is very good. From using the software to deployment, Meraki is good. Even enterprises would benefit from using the solution. Although we typically deal with smaller companies, I'd pick Meraki every time. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I would rate it higher, however, we have unique needs for the VPN, and require complex software features
WM
Consulting Engineer at IV4
Reseller
Trouble-free and easy solution with useful dashboard and great support

What is our primary use case?

I use it in conjunction with Meraki Firewall and Meraki AP as a package. I am using the latest version of this solution. We mainly replaced a number of Cisco ASA 5505 Firewalls that had PoE on them. The new Cisco ASA 5506 Firewall and Meraki MX Firewall don't have PoE, but we needed ports and PoE. Therefore, we combined the switches with the firewalls. The clients already had Meraki APs, so we just plugged in Meraki switches.

• "It is easy to deploy, maintain, and update. It has been trouble-free so far. I am still a Cisco command-line bigot, but the web interface makes it a lot easier for our help desk to interact with a client. When the clients call in and say that they aren't able to connect, it takes the help desk 10 minutes or less to look at everything in the enterprise or location. They can look at the firewall, switches, or access points in the dashboard. That's why I like the dashboard."
  • "It would be good to include the command-line access someday."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is easy to deploy. You can put it in a box or have it shipped to a client's remote location. Even if they don't know anything, you can talk to them and set it up easily. I would rate Meraki MS Switches a nine out of ten. I am very happy with all Meraki products that I use.
Spencer Malmad
Owner at Tech Exchange
A great console that provides high levels of flexibility

What is our primary use case?

The use case is small to mid-sized offices, under 500 ports.

• "The most valuable feature about Meraki is the console. The second most valuable feature, to me, is the technical support and the infrastructure behind the console."
  • "The biggest area that they fall short on is comparing the performance."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MS Switches a rating of nine. The only drawback is the cost — that's what kills them. I am not paying for the equipment; someone else is paying for it. Someone has to be willing to pay the premium for that and they have to see the value. I'm not a salesman, but if I want to go with Cisco, I have to show the client that if they buy Cisco Meraki versus Ubiquiti, they're going to do better.
See 35 more Meraki MS Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Meraki MS Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.