Nakivo Overview

Nakivo is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Nakivo vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Nakivo?

NAKIVO Backup & Replication provides image-based, application-aware, and forever-incremental backup for VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 VMs. This means that NAKIVO Backup & Replication can capture all VM data, ensure the  consistency of applications and databases (such as Exchange, Active Directory, MS SQL, SharePoint) running in VMs, and transfer only changes to the backup repository. NAKIVO Backup & Replication uses native change tracking
technologies (VMware CBT/Hyper-V RCT) to instantly identify changed data. For each VM backup, you can save up to 1,000 recovery points and rotate them on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.

Nakivo Buyer's Guide

Download the Nakivo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Nakivo Customers

Coca Cola, Honda, 3M, University of Arizona, University of Maryland, University of Arkansas, Johns Hopkins University, Marriott, United States Military Academy West Point, Greenpeace, China Airlines, Radisson Hotels and Resorts, Fujifilm

Nakivo Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nakivo pricing:
  • "You have a lot of different options when it comes to pricing and the pricing models are pretty flexible and affordable."
  • "Pricing is easy to understand and very affordable."
  • "The product is quite cheap compared to other products on the market, but despite this, it is rich in features both at the level of backup and recovery as well as at the level of additional options."
  • "The price is not a problem in NAKIVO, as it is the most competitive in the market."
  • "Nakivo Backup & Replication also have another great value, which is that it is one of the lowest prices on the market."
  • "I advise that this is the best product for medium or small environments according to my cost-benefit analysis."

Nakivo Reviews

reviewer1425087
Senior Software Manager/Chief at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 26, 2020
Easy to setup and use, this is a flexible, viable, and inexpensive alternative to familiar solutions

What is our primary use case?

I use it for my VM (Virtual Machine) backups. I logged into it, created myself an account, and then I created my backup jobs. Then I can run the jobs to do the backups when I want. I can schedule it to run when it is convenient — say at 10 o'clock at night — or I can say run it right now, or whatever. It is pretty intuitive in that sense. Pretty easy to set up and use.

• "It is flexible."
  • "It is affordable."
  • "It is easy-to-use."
  • "The interface might be improved, but the interface of every product might be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I like the product because it is doing exactly what I need it to do, and that is reliably backing up my VM. I have actually had to restore some VMs. Sometimes the power just goes off here and something will get corrupted and it works well for that. It has been reliable in restoring exactly what I needed to restore. Based on my experience, the advice I would give to people considering it is to go for it. I think it is a great product. But there is a problem with customers — especially government customers — resisting adopting anything new. They get hung up on one thing and they like to stick…
StevenLau
User at Cadmakers
Apr 29, 2019
The quick and easy setup of the ready-made virtual appliance made it simple to deploy

What is our primary use case?

I have a small environment with two hosts since most of our services are running in the cloud. We are a cautious group and we keep a copy of our files on-premise, as well as in the cloud. We are using NAKIVO for backing up our file storage and virtual machines.

• "Perfect for someone who doesn't want to waste time."
  • "It is missing the file and folder backup; however, this product is meant for virtual machine backup and recovery, so that is really outside of the scope of the software."

What other advice do I have?

The product is a time saver and makes complex tasks easy to handle. A must-have for beginners and one-person teams.
Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1469676
Help Desk Manager at Alter Solution
Dec 16, 2020
Easy to use, helpful dashboard, and the rapid recovery means minimal impact in case of disaster

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the Nakivo Suite for a year, mainly for local backup of virtual machines on the ESXi 5.5 platform located on the servers of our company. I perform a daily backup on SNAP NAS with the available option. I also use the dashboard to verify that the backups are working properly. I'm considering some additional features like Microsoft 365 cloud backup and Microsoft Outlook 365 mailbox backup. The latter feature is available for an additional fee. Regardless, the product is very good and I think mine was the correct choice.

• "Backups are very easy to implement and schedule, the product is very useful, and the recovery procedure is very extensive and feature-rich."
  • "It would be interesting if it were possible to integrate a mobile app to monitor the system in real-time."

What other advice do I have?

When I made the choice of Nakivo, I didn't have many needs in this regard. I was looking for a product that was easy to configure and easy to use, with all of the classic features of a backup and recovery system for corporate virtual machines. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by all of the functions present within the suite, and in particular, by the fast boot from the backup repository.
reviewer1068534
Apr 19, 2019
A fast and simple solution that gives us confidence in the stability of our environment

What is our primary use case?

We are a cosmetics laboratory, hosting a Dell server with ESXi 6.5, six virtual machines, and two Synology NAS.

• "Creating a backup task in NAKIVO is fast and easy."
  • "I think it is important to work not only in replicating the virtual machines in Amazon AWS, but in other cloud systems."

What other advice do I have?

My only advice is to try it.
reviewer1475781
Membro at IT-Group
Reseller
Dec 22, 2020
Cost-effective, provides a simple to use and well-structured interface

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nakivo internally for backup/replication and cloud backup of our little datacenter, in a server farm. Our customers use Nakivo Backup & Replication on a daily basis for backup and recovery of VMs and files. These environments are heterogeneous, as we have many Linux VMs, Windows VMs, and dedicated virtual appliances. This is no issue with the backup and recovery of entire VMs or single files, granularly. We also appreciate the easy-to-use web interface, and our customers are completely independent in the management of Nakivo.

• "We really appreciate the simplicity of the solution."
  • "What must be improved is the response time to technical support requests."
Richard Goldstein
President and CEO at DimenXional Cloud Technologies
Nov 23, 2020
Great for whitelisting, competitively priced, and has great features

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo software is available on a white-label basis. The DimenXional Cloud product with our enhancements is called WatchDog-BaaS for Backup as a Service. DimenXional Cloud has also developed WatchDog-DRaaS, which is Disaster Recovery as a Service. The white-label solution provides the API capabilities that DimenXional Cloud not get from other suppliers of this type of software. The finished solutions are bundled with the tasks for our market. The DimenXional Cloud (Very Small Business) market doesn't care what name is on it. They care about if it works or not and if it is reliable. Above all… more »

• "Most valuable for DimenXional Cloud is the API provided by Nakivo which allows us to implement the software in all types of solutions."
  • "While the solution provides mostly what we need, it would be ideal if there were some additional feature capabilities for the API."

What other advice do I have?

We're part of the RESA MSP program. It's basically a partnership with the solution. Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine or a ten. They've been a very good product so far. It's basically everything we need.
reviewer1078821
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Dec 10, 2020
Easy to install and maintain, reliable, and has saved us time and effort in data recovery

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo Backup and Replication is used to back up mixed virtual and physical machine environments, consisting of multiple VMWare VSphere 6.x virtual machines and a variety of Windows Server, Windows 10, and various Linux release physical machines. Backups and replicas are stored on local, LAN, and remote WAN physical volumes, as well as local virtual datastores. While our primary recovery scenario has been to recover full virtual and physical machines when problems develop, we have also made extensive use of Nakivo's file and folder recovery options.

• "Nakivo Backup and Replication's web-based management interface enables intuitive, rapid, and seamless configuration and management of all backup and recovery functionality across the enterprise."
  • "Using an independent bootable media to restore full physical machines would enable physical machines that may be serving as Nakivo Director or Transport machines to be reliably restored to service without undue delay, ensuring that an enterprise's local environment remains intact."
Sebastian E. De Matteo
Aug 6, 2019
Quick and easy to set up, a clean GUI, and efficient deduplication

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for backing up and replicating virtual machines. We have a small environment with two hosts. Both of them are Levono servers with ESXi 6.5 U2 and fifteen virtual machines. All of the VMs are Windows and we have file, SQL, and Exchange servers.

• "It is fast, simple, powerful, and has a price without competition."
  • "I would like to have the option of creating a subfolder per job in the backup repository because we had an issue where some files were corrupted and we lost the backup of the majority of the VMs."
See 6 more Nakivo Reviews
Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.