Oracle Hyperion Overview

Oracle Hyperion is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Business Performance Management tools. It is most often compared to Anaplan: Oracle Hyperion vs Anaplan

What is Oracle Hyperion?
Oracle Business Analytics Suite.

Oracle Hyperion is also known as Hyperion.

Download the Business Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Oracle Hyperion Customers
ITNL, Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd., Zaklady Farmaceutyczne Polpharma S.A., Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd., Barco N.V., SITA, McGregor Fashion Group B.V., PCCW Ltd.
Oracle Hyperion Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IP
Managing Consultant at ifb international AG
User
There is an integrated solution with Oracle EPM which we utilize

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for Enterprise Performance Management (in most cases), planning and budgeting, and as a reporting/allocation tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide customized solutions for finance offices in any industry.

What is most valuable?

Oracle has an integrated solution for Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) and Hyperion. It keeps the two platforms opened up to each other.

What needs improvement?

Oracle EPM Cloud solutions have simplified the security model. Nevertheless, it would be better having  a more differentiated security model.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked for more than seven years with Oracle EPM and Hyperion.
Senior Hyperion Systems Architect at Loudoun County Govt.
We are using it primarily for our budgeting analysis and to complete our whole budget cycle within the application. The Decision Package features needs improvements for business users.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of functional users or managers involved in buying Hyperion don't realize what they're buying and what it's capable of. So, requirement analysis is the key thing. Before you talk to an implementer, determine what it is that you need and what tools Hyperion has available. There are different tools for different purposes -- planning, forecasting, financial analysis, etc. The tools in Essbase is a little different from the tools in Hyperion. Before Oracle acquired Hyperion in 2006, it wasn't so mature, but not with the acquisition, it's expanded a lot and it much bigger than it was 10 years…
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Wolters Kluwer, Anaplan and others in Business Performance Management. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
You can handle and process a lot of data in a very short time.

What other advice do I have?

I would always recommend this solution. It is very versatile, it is easy to use, easy to access, and easy to set up. I am very satisfied with and keen on this solution.
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
For businesses, the ability to create forecasts in a fraction of time it took before the implementation is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix. I've been working on implementation for 19 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different…
Datawarehouse Systems Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s lightweight and stable. The simplified interface has gaps in the workspace.

What other advice do I have?

Based on the number of products available right now, I definitely think this is one of the good products. They might have issues in the current version, but hopefully those will get fixed soon. The simplified interface is coming up to level but we may still have gaps on the workspace with that simplified interface.
Data Governance And Master Data Management Delivery at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In finance, if you have a central repository feeding all of your downstream systems of the metadata that you use, you reduce the number of account reconciliations.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product a nine out of ten. For what they're designed for, the tools are very useful.
Financial Systems Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
A big benefit for most of our users is that you can use it in Excel with a Smart View API.

Valuable Features:

We use mostly S-space planning, and have HFM and FDM as well. We're able to support fifteen to twenty countries globally from Cincinnati, and they can do all their consolidation on our one HFM application.

Room for Improvement:

We have had a little difficulty with financial reports being buggy in the client.

Use of Solution:

We have been using it for about six months.

Stability Issues:

It has been pretty stable. We're on premise. Every once in a while we will have crash, but it’s usually nothing a reboot can’t handle.

Scalability Issues:

It seems to scale pretty well. We just recently brought on another country and are in the process of building the application for them.

Other Advice:

A big benefit for most of our users is that you can use it in…
Senior Hyperion Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
If you get the product, attend boot camp training and then start getting hands on.

Valuable Features

For me, Smart View has been the most valuable feature, because you can use most of the Excel points.

Improvements to My Organization

We can do budgeting on time and provide an accurate forecast. You can also have budget, actual, and plan within the same report.

Room for Improvement

We usually do granular level of forecast or budget, and Oracle needs to start supporting that.

It is stable.

We have had more data to manipulate every time on promises. We have to scale a lot. It would be great if they could bring out all the cloud functionality on promises.

Most of the time it takes three months and you don’t get results. I think the Oracle support is concerned about the cloud. …
Hyperion Subject Matter Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The ease of use and the integration with our business are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Focus on functionality and on your business. Make sure you understand what the business wants to do. No company uses more than fifty or sixty percent of the functionality of an application, so don’t get caught up on every single bell and whistle and try to implement all the features. Just implement the parts of the product that are specific to your needs. I would rate the product a solid eight out of ten.
Manager, Systems Implementation at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a multi user web based system, which is easier for us to deploy since we have a global presence.

What other advice do I have?

It’s not going to be simple. If you are a small company, there probably is a better product out there. If you’re a huge company, it is probably going to be a fit for you. I would rate the product an 8 out of ten.
Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The fact that it's a consistent system without any big issues is huge for our users to make decisions based on financial results.

What other advice do I have?

It goes back to your reporting and what you want to get out of it. Hyperion seems to be a very good product and it seems to be pretty stable. It's something that you can give to your users to just use. It's pretty hands-off most of the time.
Sr. Financial Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Speed of data is the biggest key for our users.

What other advice do I have?

We don't know everything yet. We're happy with what we have. I think just have your requirements ready. Be as open as possible and open to new interfaces. It's a different view but it's very user friendly.
Managing Director at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
We haven't had issues with performance and scalability.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend implementing FDM as it is falling away and will not be supported in the near future.
Sr. Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature for us is that it's a tool that supports the entire planning and budgeting forecast for the whole company. We still have issues and bugs because it's a new release.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Hyperion especially if they're doing it for their budgeting and forecasting tool. It's so easy compared to Excel or something similar. It's manual versus automated, and who doesn't like automated? I had times when I had to actually run the process myself at 12:00 at night, but now it's all automated.
Sr. Technology Engineer at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've found it really useful as an add-on for the financial part of Excel because it's functionality is geared towards finance users. Oracle should have provided better documentation.

What other advice do I have?

The product itself, right now, especially on the Hyperion planning side, is the industry leading software for what it does. Although it's buggy, I think that's as far as you can get on the enterprise solutions. This is way better than anything else out there.
Assistant Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
In the most simplest way, it allows the availability of data to be predefined as well as customized based on user inputs and requirements.
Senior Consultant with 51-200 employees
It has reduced the amount of paperwork but it is a technical resource hungry software.

What other advice do I have?

Take a good look before stepping into it.
Oracle EPM Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalability is a valuable feature but the reporting features could be visually better.

What other advice do I have?

Architect design considering solution scalability is essential for a successful implementation.
Manager of Business Intel at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ability to lock and send data is important. It could be improved with a better front end and user experience.

What other advice do I have?

Finding highly qualified technical consultants for this application is difficult. There are other products with a larger community available for support and development.