Sophos Network Access Control Overview

Sophos Network Access Control is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Network Access Control tools. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Sophos Network Access Control vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is Sophos Network Access Control?
Sophos NAC Provides comprehensive, easy-to-deploy network access control that protects enterprise networks from the threats posed by non-compliant, compromised, or misconfigured endpoint computers. The software solution is vendor-neutral and works with existing network infrastructure and security applications. Computers are permitted or denied access to the network, based on a centrally defined, policy-driven assessment - and isolated, quarantined for remediation, automatically remediated, or sent alerts. Administrators can define and manage policies uniquely for managed and guest computers, including checking their security status and ensuring that no unwanted applications are run.

Download the Network Access Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Sophos Network Access Control Customers
Rushmoor Borough Council
Sophos Network Access Control Video

CEO at MARVIV SRLS
Great security with a user-friendly interface and excellent stability

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the solution in order to manage the security aspect of access control. It guarantees that the people can access the infrastructure in a correct way when using different kinds of firewalls like Sophos, Cisco, MikroTik, et cetera, for example. It's used for security hosting in terms of firewalls, which is a router with firewall performance and can really control the access from that side. It's able to manage such a level of security due to the fact that it's working on Layer 2 according to the HESA standard.

• "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "The interface on the cloud could be a bit better - just to give more performance on it."

What other advice do I have?

I am not necessarily using the latest version of the solution. I am using different kinds of versions. It depends on the customer's needs. Normally, I approach the client to try to understand their needs, and, following this, I will choose which is product can satisfy them. The deployments also differ according to the client's needs. Typically, it is on-premises. That said, this product can also work in Cloud which means the servers can be shared between on-premise and on the cloud. This is mainly, for a double level of security. In this way, the product can be managed on-premise and can be…
Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Integrates endpoints and firewall: Endpoints missing a patch will be disconnected from the network

• "What Sophos has done is integrate almost the entire OSI layer infrastructure. It gives me visibility across my infrastructure. It gives me visibility into all the mobile devices that are on my network and into the security I have on those mobile devices."
  • "What needs to be improved on is the fact that Sophos consumes a lot of processor resources and, once it starts scanning, the RAM utilization is very high."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos, including Intercept X which is their anti-virus software for endpoints. I would also advise, if you are getting Sophos, to make sure you upgrade systems from 4 GB to 8 GB and make sure you upgrade your systems from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so you will be fully protected.
Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Aruba Networks, Cisco and others in Network Access Control. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO at MARVIV SRLS
Great scalability, stability and performance

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to manage all of our devices.

• "The scalability of the system and the performance of the system and the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The solution could increase the integration with other platforms or other systems. This would be very useful."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Sophos partner. We tend to use both deployment models. Mainly, the hardware is on-premise, but all the management is on the cloud. For me, it's a better way to use this solution. The system right now covers all my needs and it's very comfortable to work with. For those considering implementing the solution, they need to be sure to have a complete overview of the system at the beginning. They need to know how they want to solve the need and the problems that they have. Everyone should start with an overview from the top. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Technical Operations Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Offers amazing Wi-Fi control and top-notch security

What is our primary use case?

Within our organization, there are roughly 450 users, using this solution. Currently, I would say we're only using about 50% of the full functionality of the device. We definitely will keep using this solution in the future.

• "The wifi control is fantastic and makes it very easy to administer."
  • "I would like to see mobile administration capabilities in the next release so that we can administer the device from a mobile device."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution, 100%. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten. I think this is one of the best products I've discovered in the last few years. I love this product, I just wish there was a bigger footprint in Africa.
Security Analyst at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Very user-friendly, with good useability, but needs to offer better documentation

• "The solution offers very good visibility."
  • "The solution could offer more useful documentation."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the metrics were easier to find, we would rate it higher.
HJ
IT Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to configure and use, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

• "The user interface makes it easy to configure and use."
  • "I would like to be able to fully customize the reports."

What other advice do I have?

Sophos Network Access Control is easy to implement, use, and manage, and I recommend it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Security Analyst at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Good visibility in a single management solution

What is our primary use case?

We offer integration services to our customers. They are usually looking into solutions that are out there that are good, and which can work to support the organizational enterprise.

What is most valuable?

There is really good visibility for the appliance. They also have a single management solution be it on-premise or in the cloud. We've been able to manage it from a single solution.

What needs improvement?

The difficult thing was finding the metrics.

We have been using Sophos Network Access Control for about three months.

I have not seen any bugs so I believe it is a stable solution.