Talend Data Management Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Data Management Platform is #13 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. IT Central Station users give Talend Data Management Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Talend Data Management Platform is most commonly compared to Talend Data Fabric:Talend Data Management Platform vs Talend Data Fabric. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Talend Data Management Platform?
Talend offers robust data integration in an open and scalable architecture to maximize its value to your business. Simple, graphical tools and wizards get you up and running quickly with native code generation that streamlines development.

Talend Data Management Platform was previously known as Talend Integration Suite.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Talend Data Management Platform Customers
Accent Group, Acticall, Allianz Global Investors Distributors LLC, Car & Boat Media, Cdiscount.com
Talend Data Management Platform Video

Archived Talend Data Management Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

Christopher  Hafer
System Analyst II at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Improved efficiency, saving time and money for our data integration tasks and services

• "Talend Studio has the ability to connect to almost anything to integrate data from files, databases, web services, etc."
  • "The documentation from version to version could be more accurate."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, it was data integration for academic data to an EDW on Sybase IQ for reporting purposes. Now it has evolved into data integration for both application and user consumption, loading data into Sybase and MS-SQL data stores. We use Studio on Windows with Servers on Ubuntu

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has allowed us to use more technical individuals for data integration that don't otherwise have expertise in SQL, Stored Procedures, and/or Perl scripting. It has improved our ability to integrate data from multiple systems and decreased the time it usually took using other means, which involved Perl or high-level SQL techniques.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Talend Admin Console (TAC). It connects Studio to SVN (Code Repository), Nexus (Artifacts/Build Packages), and Job Servers (Runs Nexus packaged jobs). TAC also manages user access to projects, which allows multiple users, working within the same project at the same time, while maintaining all code changes in SVN.

What needs improvement?

The documentation from version to version could be more accurate. I have found information that is inaccurate or doesn't apply to the version I am trying to install or work in. Documentation could also be more user-friendly as it seems cumbersome with too much information, which probably is why I have found inaccurate information.

The application installation process needs improvement. They have an easy "non-secure" installation for trying out the subscription version. I would like to see installation instructions for a Production environment with system and server layout using SSL Security. It would go a long way to understand what Talend envisions as a best practice for a production environment.

I have been using this solution for eight years and two months.

The Talend solution has been very stable. We have very few issues with the systems running the jobs. Most issues we have are with unknown changes to source systems that Talend jobs interact with.

It is scalable but we have not had to use it. Our next upgrade will likely be with their Cloud solution if not using Docker Containers.

In the beginning, Customer Support helped a lot. Now that I know more, I would like them to respond with information I have not already tried. Escalation from Customer Support to get the right Technical Support person faster would be nice. Most times, I get a quick response. Sometimes, however, it can take days to get to the person who knows what is wrong or get a fix. Other times, I have solved my issue before they have an answer.

We used Perl and SQL for data integration.

Initial setup was using the Talend Installer, which is very easy but on the next upgrade, we decided to split the systems into individual VMs for better management of security patches. It gets really complex as you go from Data Integration to Data Services Platforms because of the open-source apps in their suite.

I implemented Talend in-house / on-premises. I have no experience with using a Talend vendor for implementing a solution, though this may change in the near future.

Not sure about the money side but I know it has been easier and less time consuming to complete the same tasks for data integration compared to how we did it prior to using Talend.

For a production environment, plan to separate the Talend suite of systems onto their own servers for easier management with 'security updates' and secure each one for encryption of data across systems. Using the installer for a Production environment didn't work for what we needed.

We did evaluate other solutions, although I can't remember the names. They were either more expensive and/or didn't have a community/free version that compared to Talend's Open Studio at the time.

What other advice do I have?

Having developers that are familiar with Java and Tomcat will be very helpful but not required when using Talend.

AshrafOmar Hussein
Business Intelligence and Data warehouse Section Head & Pre-Sales at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and powerful solution for managing historical data

• "I think Talend is one of the easiest tools for faster implementation compared to other tools."
  • "The stability is good, but the performance is slower when I work on a huge amount of data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is data integration and managing historical data.

What is most valuable?

It is a very powerful solution to manage historical data and this is one of the key features that I love the most.

What needs improvement?

An area that needs improvement is the administration of data and granting permission for the different developers working on the product at the same time. Talend is a great development tool but the administration, access rights, synchronization and phoning can be better.

New features I would like to see is changing the data capture and different connection abilities to the Oracle database because some connections are suitable for one customer and not for the other, as it is based on the environment architects or on the customer.

I've been working on this program for the past five years.

The stability is good but the performance is slower when I work on a huge amount of data. So I think this area needs some enhancement.

The solution is scalable, and we have about three to five licenses per client.

I would suggest enhancement and improvement in the support program of Talend to have a real Talend expert working with the consultant on the support process and the support to share the knowledge with the consultants. It is very important for Talend to build a good technical team for support. This is the first impression for any customer working with a vendor. So having a very good technical support team on your side will increase the trust of the customer in your product, even if there are many bugs in the application or the environment itself. I think that the system needs more enhancement and more improvement in this aspect. We need to have more cyclical documents written in a very good manner to share the knowledge between the support and the consultant implementing using Talend.

I used Oracle Data Integrator and IBM but I replaced it with Talend. I like that Talend is straightforward. By using Talend we can simulate the theoretical information with the practical exercise.

The initial setup was easy but I would suggest developers to include two different types of installation for the product, like to be able to do silent installation and not interactive installation for both. This is very important for us because when we do the installation and have a lack of resources, the inclusion of silent installation for the product will be great.

What other advice do I have?

I think Talend is one of the easiest tools for faster implementation compared to other tools.  For example, if we're implementing the data integration solution with some other tool, it will take 10 days. But with Talend, it will take less than 50% of the time. So the tool is very easy, the interface is user-friendly for the developer and suitable for the development of the solution. That is one of the key benefits of Talend.

I recommended Talend for two of my four customers during the last four years. I replaced the Oracle Data Integrator and IBM with Talend.

My rating for this solution is eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Brian Dandeneau
Business Process and Strategy Specialist Advisor at NTTData
You can create a separate file for your business users to review

What is our primary use case?

Talend is an ETL solution. It is great for moving data from source to target and has great error-handling and capturing techniques. Talend is easily becoming more recognized within the ETL space. I am seeing more and more companies branching out from the Oracles of the world since cloud was introduced. Cloud has seemed to even the playing field a bit. If you are looking for something that is stable, cost-effective and has a great ROI, then Talend is a great choice. I have compared ODI to other tools in reviews in the past, but I haven't compared it with Talend.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing Talend can easily speed up implementation time and reduce the amount spent on the learning curve. Talend reminds me of a tool I used years ago called Hyperion Application Link (HAL). If you had basic knowledge of integration, you could pick up this tool in no time flat. The big difference between HAL and Talend is that the processing abilities of Talend are much better. HAL is clunky and slow. Talend is a powerhouse of ETL.

What is most valuable?

I love the fact that I can copy a step, click a button, and now I have the opportunity to create the opposite of what I was doing.

For example: If I am creating an inner join which produces a file on the target, there could be records that do not have a match. In other ETL tools, you would have to create a whole different process. In Talend, all you have to do is copy the inner join, and there is an option for rejects. Now you can create a separate file for your business users to review.

What needs improvement?

There are no natural connections for some of the applications that I use more regularly. I think that if Talend wants to disrupt the market a bit, they could create built-in calls to Oracle Hyperion applications.

As far as the next release, I would like to see connections to SAP work a bit better. They have a little lag, but this is just me reaching for something because they asked.

Still implementing.

Great stability. As long as your infrastructure is good, then Talend will be great.

This can be a full data warehouse solution at the enterprise level.

We never really had to use it before and never really had a big issue. We only had smaller issues when we first started using it. Talend was very responsive and helpful.

My solutions are client dependent. I do help them evaluate which tool they should use in some cases, but I can't say "I had this tool and I switched because of XYZ".

It's very simple to install. So easy a caveman can do it? No, but someone with basic knowledge of databases can easily get this going.

As a consultant, I do the implementations myself, or a member of the team completes the implementation.

No vendor teams were harmed in the making of our projects.

The ROI on this tool varies. I would say that with the ease of use, you could easily get your worth out of the tool in the first few months.

Make sure you wait until the end of the quarter to get the best deal. Try to talk to multiple salespeople, and sometimes you can get multiple discounts. Let me know, and I can help.

What other advice do I have?

Just be careful to think through everything that you want to do. There are reusable parts to Talend. Use the variables properly. This is advice for any ETL solution.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) transformations is a valuable feature, but they could be faster.

What is most valuable?

Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) transformations are open source and is a valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

ETL has simplified our integration procedures.

What needs improvement?

The ETL transformations could be faster.

1 year

Yes. With K rows it runs fine. With M rows, it runs too slowly and has memory issues.

Customer Service: N/A Technical Support: N/A

Somehow…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

ETL has simplified our integration procedures.

What needs improvement?

The ETL transformations could be faster.

1 year

N/A

Somehow straightforward, but could be be less complex.

We implemented with a combination of a vendor team and our own in-house team. The vendor team level of expertise was low.

We haven't calculated our ROI.

The setup cost is high. Day-to-day cost is somewhat medium.

We did not evaluate other options.

it_user4518
Head of Databases at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Powerful and flexible once we managed to get it installed and configured.

Valuable Features:

• It meets our operational and analytical data integration needs by providing us with a high performing set of tools to access, transform and integrate data in real time. • Provides us a central repository for sharing our enterprise metadata among business users, developers and IT staff, so we can access and share a single version of information. • It helped us in handling huge data volumes, remote execution of jobs, interacting with cloud data sources and deployment on cloud infrastructure. • We can centrally supervise our software integration processes by using Talend's advanced monitoring capabilities.

Room for Improvement:

• Lots of errors and system crashes during installation and IMHO we didn’t receive good enough technical support and guidance from Talend to solve the issues. • It doesn’t support multitasking.

Other Advice:

One of the reasons we chose the Talend integration suite was because it is an open source data integration tool. It provides us a central repository for sharing our enterprise metadata and meets our operational and analytical data integration needs. We like the fact that it offers data quality functionality, ESB and MDM solutions in a single package. We can easily manage huge data volumes and centrally supervise our software integration processes.
Product Categories
Data Integration Tools
Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Microsoft, Informatica, and more!