Tintri VMstore Overview

Tintri VMstore is the #26 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Tintri VMstore vs Pure Storage FlashArray

What is Tintri VMstore?

All-Flash Arrays

The Tintri All-Flash Array controls each application automatically, so you don’t have to. Tintri guarantees performance, crunches real-time analytics, and predicts future needs—all at the application level. And with the T1000 Array, remote offices and individual departments can experience Tintri too. Now you can rest easy.

Tintri EC6000 All-flash Array Series Data Sheet
Tintri T1000 All-flash Array Series Data Sheet

Hybrid-Flash Arrays

Conventional storage doesn’t play nice with your applications. The Tintri Hybrid-Flash Array does. Tintri controls each of your applications automatically, so you can spend your time and money on the strategic projects that matter. And when 99% of IO is delivered from flash, you get all-flash performance at a not-so-flashy price point.

Tintri VMstore T800 Hybrid-Flash Series Data Sheet

Tintri maximizes performance for your applications and the people who manage them. With all-flash storage and software for virtualized workloads, Tintri automatically manages each application, so you don’t have to. That means you’re free from decades-old storage constraints so you can spend your time on high-impact projects.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Tintri VMstore Customers

That’s why leading enterprises including Comcast, Chevron, NASA, Toyota, United Healthcare and 20% of the Fortune 100, trust Tintri with storage needs.

Tintri VMstore Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SC
Manager at Intraservice/City of G̦teborg
User
It is fast and reliable. There hasn’t been a single failure in three years of use.

What is our primary use case?

In our production environment, we have 10 ESX hosts with two replicated Tintri T850 SAN.

How has it helped my organization?

It is fast and reliable. There hasn’t been a single failure in three years of use.  The VMs have worked fine, and the bandwidth to the Tintri SAN has never been an issue.

What is most valuable?

Ease of managing and installing: It’s just to enter an IP address and you’re good to go.  It’s very good at IOPS.  The firmware upgrade is easy.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to have the ability to store data other than virtual machines. At the moment, you can only connect VMs to it, and that’s a bit disappointing.

Windows Systems Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Speed Up deployment significantly and the cloning feature is Impressive

What is our primary use case?

I use Tintri box for a VDI solution, hosting at least 1800 VDI stations there, deployment really easy, really good performance. No major issues.

• "The Deduplication feature in VDI environments. If Tintri says we can host 3000 VMs in our storage, I know we can host 3000 VMs there. Believe the results."

What other advice do I have?

You can ask for a deployment test with Tintri. After you test it you will like it, it's deployment is really quick and simple. No other dashboard is needed because you can see the behavior of your storage and the IO performance at the VM level.
    Find out what your peers are saying about Tintri, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: April 2021.
    501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System Engineer Client & Server at Swisslos Interkantonale Landeslotterie
    Web GUI for maintenance and resource monitoring purposes is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

VMware virtualisation for Client with VMware VDI & vCenter for server synchronised over two data centers.

• "A very good support team that is available 24/7. They have real technical staff with strong knowledge."
    • "Web GUI for maintenance and resource monitoring purposes is easy to use."
    • "In sync and automated mirror between two Tintris is missing."

What other advice do I have?

Good, friendly sales, marketing, tech, and support teams, who are a pleasure to work with.
    Senior Technical Analyst
    User

What is our primary use case?

Tintri T5060 SSD array used for high performance requirements of Windows 10 VDI environment using Citrix XenDesktop. KPI: Performance must be equal to or better than a local user environment.

• "Upgrades are super easy and can be done during business hours without interruptions in production."
    • "Its speed has been absolutely fantastic."
    • "Its VM-aware features have been excellent to use and integrate with XenServer as well."
    • "I would love more insight into each virtual machine statistic."
    • "The Tintri Analytics site is excellent for long-term trending, but more data would be great."

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has been a breeze to deal with! We have had no issues.
    Infrastructure Engineer at Residential Management Group Limited
    Great for finding problems where VMs are hogging all the performance

What is our primary use case?

Our old storage platform was on ageing hardware and the performance in our environment was declining. We purchased the Tintri VMstore to increase performance in our virtualised environment.

• "Tintri VMstore is rock solid. We have not had a single issue with stability. It is also very low maintenance allowing us to concentrate on project work."
    • "Support from our vendor and Tintri are brilliant. They have always answered all of our questions promptly."
    • "It is great for finding problems where VMs are hogging all the performance."
    • "The product could be improved by adding iSCSI support. We have had to rethink how we implement some of our services due to this."

What other advice do I have?

Tintri is the best solution that I have used. The performance is second to none!
    Team Lead,Enterprise Software - Infrastructure at BlackBerry
    Has given us the ability to quickly and easily understand, manage and troubleshoot storage at the granularity of a VM\vDisk.
    Tintri's VM-aware storage appliances combined with their intuitive management tools has given us the ability to quickly and easily understand, manage and troubleshoot storage at the granularity of a VM\vDisk.   Appliance performance has exceeded expectations allowing us to migrate more demanding workloads without concern while increasing the responsiveness and throughput of those applications.  Going forward we would like to see tighter integration with vSphere to enable the use of tags and other meta data for use in QoS and other management and reporting functions. Tintri truly delivers a setup and forget storage solution that allows us to focus on our primary business instead of managing complicated storage platforms. Supported with the release and continual improvement of Tintri…
    jonfwilliams@outlook.com
    We can now identify VMs, which require a lot of disk performance from a single console

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have four 10GB ports available, as each controller has two ports. If they are both filled, it will flash the error LED on the front of the unit.
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The most valuable features are VM awareness and QoS policies.

• "You can control resources on a per VM basis to ensure that contention in resources does not hamper performance."
    • "I think with the world soon becoming only SSD, possibly NVMe, and 3D Xpoint. It would make sense for Tintri to drop the hybrid array down the line."

What other advice do I have?

Understand your workloads and their demands well. This means you need VM performance metrics for at least three to six months, ideally, from vRealize Operations. Setting up policies is crucial as it has direct implications.
    System Administrator at a agriculture with 501-1,000 employees
    The dashboard makes things so easy to understand that you have a full grasp on what your VMs are doing and where the bottlenecks are.

What other advice do I have?

Hands down one of the best investments that we have ever done. We loved it so much we bought a second one for another site a couple of months later, and now we are buying a third.
    System Administrator at a agriculture with 501-1,000 employees
    You just set it up in 15 minutes or less by connecting the network, giving a name and IP, and then adding DNS entries and permissions and you are off an running.
    User at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    The VM-aware processing and speed are valuable.

• "Fast deployment for virtual machines"
    • "Active/active cluster between two Tintris on Hyper-V cluster."

What other advice do I have?

Try it, love it. :)
    System Engineer Werkplekken at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good for VDI environments or if you need to provide high-end VMWare solutions.

• "It is a set and forget environment with a very good tooling to view performance and delivers the IOPS we need for our VDI environment."
    • "Speed of our VDI machines. We have a very high log in and log out ratio and machines are being refreshed instantly so we have a constant boot storm on our storage."

What other advice do I have?

I'd say if you are going for VDI environments or need to provide high end VMWare solutions make sure to try Tintri. If you tried it and used it you wont go back to anything else.
    Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We were able to increase productivity by moving away from LUNs and simplifying management of our backend storage.

What other advice do I have?

* Test the sales pitch * Do a PoC * Push the box to the limits of your environment and see for yourself
    Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The web UI allows you to view performance of individual VMs, as well as performance of the overall VMstore.
    IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We purchased it and currently use it for our Hyper-V environment.
    Valuable Features: The overall speed/performance of the system is critically valuable for us and the analytical data is extremely helpful for minimizing troubleshooting time for any VMs experiencing issues. This product was purchased for our MS Hyper-V 2012 R2 environment and allowed us to build out a clustered configuration that we have never been able to have due to previously unreliable equipment. At the time we were having severe disk latency issues and realized that we needed an all Flash or Hybrid flash and SATA array. The unit we purchased is a Hybrid unit, although at first we were skeptical it would provide the same performance as an all Flash Array, yet it has far surpassed all expectations. Detailed reporting with the ability to see reports from the hypervisor are very…
    System Administrator with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The integration at the VM level provides a detailed understanding of the VMs storage relationship without having to run lots of extra tools and services.
    Tintri Storage a System Built for Virtualization Administrators. As a VM administrator and not a storage administrator the move to Tintri was a great change in storage strategy. The integration at the VM level provides a detailed understanding of the VMs storage relationship without having to run lots of extra tools and services and then having to extrapolate and correlate all the data to determine which VM is the bully and which VM is the victim. The ability to look at the Tintri Global center for a view of multiple VM stores or individual VM stores from the web interface or even just at the VM itself from the vSphere plugin means the all the information about a VM is quickly and readily available.…
    Senior Network/Systems Engineer with 51-200 employees

Improvements to My Organization

No longer need to manage multiple LUNs and try to balance out storage allocation. Performance has been great with no issues seen on storage since moving from NetApp. We were constantly troubleshooting what was causing bottlenecks with NetApp with the VMStore they give you great insight to the network, storage, or host allowing you great insight of performance at the VM level.

Valuable Features

Performance, cost, and ease of storage management.

Room for Improvement

Always could be cheaper! : )

Not yet.

Not yet.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Top notch. Very responsive and knowledgeable.
    Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Valuable features are speed and visibility in latency.

Valuable Features:

- Visibility in latency - Speed

Improvements to My Organization:

Faster deployment and more responsive VDI environment. What I meant is that by leveraging Tintri and their VAAI plugin we cut deployment and recompose times in Horizon View. We have increased responsiveness because the smart caching in VMStore allows us to achieve flash like performance for the VDI environment because mostly the same data is accessed.

Room for Improvement:

Synchronous Replication
    Senior Environments Engineer - Virtualised Environments at Derivco with 501-1,000 employees

• "The management dashboards keep improving and allow for quick and easy tracing of issues."
    • "Tintri need to be able to innovate faster but maintain the quality of their features."
    Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to setup and use.

Valuable Features:

Ease of setup and simplicity to use. The per VM metrics are something that isn't found anywhere else.

Room for Improvement:

Backup integration with Veeam. I would really like to see a way to leverage storage side snapshots for this.
    System Engineer Client & Server at Swisslos Interkantonale Landeslotterie
    Speed and availability for VMWare VMs.

Valuable Features:

Speed and availability for VMWare VMs

Improvements to My Organization:

It is (almost) self managing and easy to use, admin overhead could be reduced.

Room for Improvement:

Stretched Cluster also for older models like T540 and T650.
    Review about Tintri VMstore
    IT Challenges: Migrating from one datacenter to another is never an easy challenge especially when downtime must be minimal. There are a few tools I have access to that could have been used to get the job done. These are VMware SRM, Veeam Backup & Replication, and Zerto Virtual Replication. First, let’s take a look at the old datacenter. There are two separate clusters. One is running vSphere 5.0 and the other is vSphere 5.5. Since I am building out a new datacenter and looking to use vSphere 6.0, using SRM was really out of the question. On the storage side, there are multiple NetApp FAS arrays. I could use Veeam, but I am looking for a very low RPO which can be a bit difficult to pull off as constant snapshots can impact application and storage performance. Zerto…
    Unix System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
    You can restore a VM from an existing snapshot, and if you have Tintri OS 4, you can attach the snapshot as a attached disk to an existing VM.

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has the best solution in the storage world. Virtualization and storage is a good match and they are always adding new stuff with each new firmware release. I don't hesitate to recommend Tintri to my friends!
    Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
    Simple to instal and manage. High IOPS.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customer don't call anymore for slowness on their VM's disks. Our engineers have much more time for more valuable things instead of storage management. Time to market enviable. Support hyper-reactive.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity of installation and management, high IOPS, management per VM, QoS, power and space saving.

What needs improvement?

More cloud integration.

Customer Service: It's far above average. Technical Support: We always spoke with a senior engineer.

We switched for low IOPS and cost of management.

Directly from Tintri, very high professional level.

What's my

Director of Data Centers at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    It has QoS per VM and great overall performance tracking.

• "It has easy setup, easy administration, and no LUNs!"
    • "The Tintri OS and GlobalCenter software do a great job of showing you troubled VMs, however it still could be a bit more helpful in diagnosing the issues."

What other advice do I have?

Seriously, my 20 years in storage and this is the best solution I've ever used hands down. The company is great to work with as well!
    It has provided us with agility and allowed us the ability to have granular views of storage without having to be storage experts.

Valuable Features

The ease of use and management capabilities are the most valuable features for us. Tintri is incredibly easy to use and manage. The performance and its secret sauce, VM understanding and management, works great.

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: In my experience, Tintri's customer service has been excellent. Technical Support: In my experience, Tintri's…
    Infrastructure Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    By using the Tintri management interface, we get VM-level statistics from both of our hypervisors.

What other advice do I have?

Stop using LUNs and start working with Tintri. The simplicity will amaze you and takes the stress out of storage.
    Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    With the VM Visualization feature, we get fast troubleshooting when we have a performance issue with our VMs.

What other advice do I have?

We love our Tintri's here, so much so, we have 3! I would highly recommend them to anyone. We are mainly VMWare, but the multi hypervisor support means that it can fit almost any environment.
    Server Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Although I no longer have to manage our storage, I'd like to be able to add more storage capacity without buying additional, separate arrays.

• "The ease and use and the great performance are why we went with our 2nd Tintri VMstore."
    • "I would like to be able to add more storage capacity to our 2 units down the road with out buying an additional seprate array."
    RC
    Server & Storage Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The overall speed of the system is the main feature that's valuable for us.

• "We also find the detail per-vm reporting at the ability to see reports from the hypervisor straight back to the storage useful."
    • "On the software side, I suggest adding integration with backups software like CommVault Simpana or Veeam where these products can integrate with the array and trigger things like snapshots for backup, etc."

What other advice do I have?

A lot of people get spooked by the word hybrid. Don't be. This thing is a hybrid but has all-flash speed.
    Technical Team Lead - Environments Team with 501-1,000 employees
    The most valuable features for us are the reliability and it's ease of use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the reliability and it's ease of use.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the most stable storage unit since the much more expensive HP 3PAR unit was released.

Our first unit – the T540 - was bought at the beginning of 2012.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

There were stability issues only when we exceeded the operational limitations. We found that the number of running VM’s advertised per device is not consistent with what we experience due to the workload each of our VM’s generates.

We…
    LAN Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Cloning new VMs using Tintri has saved me time. I use the feature on a regular basis.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. If you are in the NFS virtual world, there is no better device.
    Network Services Manager at a legal firm with 201-500 employees
    As a SysAdmin, I really appreciate the built-in monitoring capabilities as well as the PowerShell and REST API toolkits.

• "I've worked on both EMC and NetApp SANs, and this is by far the easiest system to maintain"
    • "Their current replication is really just enough to "check the box" that they do replication. We'll probably implement Actifio, Zerto or EMC RecoverPoint for VMs for more critical data replication."

What other advice do I have?

With the drop in flash prices, there are a lot more options on the market than when we first started our research for this project. In particular, I'm currently very interested in hyper-converged solutions. However, if are looking for an easy, but high performing storage platform for VMware, then you can't go wrong with Tintri.
    IT Systems Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Some of the most valuable features we've found are the thin provisioning, deduplication, and VMware View/VDI support.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it.
    Senior Technologist with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Integration with hypervisor managers, "VM awareness" within the storage, and visibility into the behaviors of each VM container and virtual disc are the most valuable features for us.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, you'll like it.
    Head of IT at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The most important features to us are its low latency, the high performance, and the per-VM QoS.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a perfect product if you need a VM-aware storage solution. As a service provider we love the possibility to look at the virtual environment from the storage perspective, to see which VMs are using IOPS/capacity and to analyze where the latency is produced (host/network/storage). With the new QOS features we can guarantee to meet customer demands and we don’t have to use different storage platforms for different performance alternatives. For example; if the customer wants spinning-SATA-RAID5 performance we can set a limit on the IOPS and if the customer wants Hybrid-SSD-spinning…
    Director of Operations at STM IT Solutions
    The most valuable features to me are the VM-specific QoS feature, the enhanced visibility, and “noisy neighbor” prevention.

What other advice do I have?

Understand it is NFS-only and while other products may be cheaper, it is very granular.
    Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    For my role, I've found that the most valuable features are its ease and simplicity, especially with configuration.
    Enterprise Infrastructure Architect at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We replaced a EMC VNX 5700 with Tintri. Cost, performance, and ease of management were the primary reasons for the replacement.

What other advice do I have?

Install a POC unit and put test machines on it. That is the best way to see what it can do, and it is *very easy* to install/remove. Fig 1: Typical Monday morning in the primary datacenter on Tintri T-850. The space savings (x1.9) means that we are getting nearly twice as much value out of the Tintri than standard storage. Fig 2: IO changes between Sunday and Monday performance not changed by the increase in IOPS:
    Information Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's reduced disc latencies in our ERP system from 300-400ms to nanoseconds.

What other advice do I have?

Get it. You won’t be disappointed.
    Cloud Solutions Architect at Clouditalia Telecomunicazioni
    Integration with vSphere and centralized control are very valuable features.
    MSP
    It offers per-VM queuing, QoS, and most importantly was designed specifically for virtualization.
    For the original Tintri Does "IT" Better review, visit https://tactsol.com/tintri-does-it-better/ IT Challenges: Recently I had been trying to solve a problem with latency in a Microsoft 2012 R2 RDSH environment hosted on NetApp FAS storage and vSphere 5.5 Enterprise Plus. Storage was fast in terms of hard drive standards using 15k RPM SAS drives, and latency on the aggregate and volumes was relatively low. Although when connecting to RDSH any amount of latency is very noticeable. NetApp has two different types of Flash technology to make use of intelligent caching. One is called Flash Cache which are PCIe cards that fit directly into the NetApp controllers and provide improved “read” performance. Flash Cache is a very good idea, but based on my…
    Enterprise Architech at UC Irvine
    The hybrid flash is fast with low latency, but we didn't get the expected data compression ratios in deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Get a POC. The time it takes to setup and test is so minimal.
    Information Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    With it, we no longer carve LUNs and hunt down latencies, but weight could be reduced for easier installation into the rack.

What other advice do I have?

Tintri has been an excellent choice for us and the performance has gone way beyond our expectations. We are very pleased with Tintri and highly recommend it.
    Systemkonsult

What other advice do I have?

The performance is great and management really easy. Don´t stare blindly on dedup number. You get the largest dedup effect in test/dev or VDI Environments, in regular server environments that effect will be rather small, BUT you always get a great compression ratio.
    IT Manager with 51-200 employees
    The compression / deduplication numbers they advertise are probably accurate for a pure-VDI environment. In a mixed-workload environment, you numbers will definitely vary.

MSP
    We have been using NetApp for several years and made the switch for increased performance.

What other advice do I have?

Look at where datacenters and virtualization are going. Many people consider "Software Defined" as simply a buzzword, but the truth is software is driving the datacenter. With Tintri you can save on compute resources by taking advantage of their VM-aware Storage. I honestly stumbled upon Tintri when I was looking into VVOLs with vSphere 6.0 and our NetApp. After lots of research it was apparent that VVOLs is not ready for prime-time and Tintri does A LOT more than what VVOLs can accomplish. Plus it was clear that VMware was simply taking the direction that Tintri already had a solution to. I…
    Senior IT Infrastructure Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    After evaluating Tintri and other vendors, we found that Tintri was a better fit for us.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Tintri as a storage array.
    Head of I.T. with 51-200 employees
    We needed to move out of the space of just having network storage and move into the space of having high performance and flexible network storage.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking at buying enterprise storage, take a good look at the market place, there are a lot of options out there. I did the same and found that Tintri was a clear leader in the space and would give me the performance and benefits I was looking for.
    Versatile solution with multiple uses.

Valuable Features

Tintri is amazingly powerful storage solutions packaged into a 4u unit. It is an extremely versatile solution with multiple uses. It currently handles a lot of our virtualisation systems and we love the quick setup (30 minutes), intuitive admin/monitoring page and amazing support. It is a great system.

Room for Improvement

They should keep up the great innovation and good work.

Use of Solution

4 years

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No. We're onto our 4th unit.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10 Technical Support: 10 out of 10
    Senior Systems Engineer, Virtualization at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Traditionally it is very hard to troubleshoot perceived storage performance issues of a single VM when it's on a shared LUN with other VMs. Tintri allows us to do so.

Valuable Features:

Compression and the Tintri UI in general. Very easy to see what VMs are consuming the most amount of resources and where the latency is (host, network, storage).

Improvements to My Organization:

Much less storage management than both of out other SANs. Traditionally it's very hard to troubleshoot perceived storage performance issues of a single VM when it's on a shared LUN with other VMs; with Tintri it's a snap.

Room for Improvement:

Not a fan of SyncVM being an addition license. Dedupe is only at the clone level; no overall dedupe process.

Use of Solution:

6 Months

Deployment Issues:

None. This storage appliance is a breeze to install and configure.

Stability Issues:

None. This is a rock solid device. We have run high workload one the device…